F355 vs 360 Stick Shift | Page 3 | FerrariChat

F355 vs 360 Stick Shift

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by SAU KWENG TAN, Mar 6, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    My full apologies for not even answering your first questions!
    1. Which is more reliable, less break down and tiny hiccups here and there? 360 (though YMMV)
    2. Which requires more or special maintenance? F355
    3. Which will most like cost me more to maintain for next 15 years? F355 (though YMMV)
    4. Stock vs stock, which sounds better to you. F355
    5. Can any expert provide tips what/where to look for potential flaws when shopping for these cars? A couple buyers guides in each respective forum
    I just noticed you said you want a car that gets less attention, and as others have pointed out you already own a 488. You'll get attention with both and I find it surprising (as others here have stated) that 5-7K a year is a concern to you for maintenance. The yearly depreciation for your 488 is already many multiples of that number -- unless you got a Pista and plan to store it?

azlin75 likes this.
  2. azlin75

azlin75 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2017
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Shawn Hicks
    I was assuming the op wanted to add a 355 or 360 to his existing 488 which removes the depreciation factor in this case since both the 360 and 355 are already more or less depreciated. At least that's how I took the first post from the way it is written.

If in fact the op is replacing the 488 it's still a matter of deciding which car the op prefers since both cars have pretty significant differences and will require more regular maintainance then the 488. While the 355 will need slightly more if you like that car you learn to live with it and yes either car would be significantly cheaper figuring in depreciation.

Also I think the op would be mistaken about getting less attention in either of those cars, possibly less attention in a grey or silver but they are still Ferrari's.

paulchua likes this.
  3. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    #53 paulchua, Mar 8, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2018
    SAU KWENG TAN, curious - you seem very concerned about the cost of Ferrari maintenance and repairs. Your new 488 should be covered under warranty. When somebody suggested you get another car, you said you don't have much money left in the bank after you bought your 488...and you only have enough money for just one Ferrari. Have you fallen into some good luck since in the last 2 weeks that you're ready to buy another one so quickly?

You also seemed quite shocked at the prospect of a $400 oil change, and admitted to being a man of middle-class background and means - going as far as willing to 'flip burgers' if need be to maintain your car.

By no means am I suggesting you are making all of this up, heaven forbid no! The reason I'm mentioning all this is perhaps you should focus on your 488 first and the one year of driving school you plan to do so you can track before you think about buying another exotic - considering all the angst you have on repairs and maintenance. I by no means am judging your priorities, but just want you to be aware you will face depreciation more significant than the prospective repair costs from the 488 you plan to drive at least 6,000 miles a year and declared to track as well.

4. azlin75

azlin75 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2017
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Shawn Hicks
    Ummmm middle class affording a 488? What is middle class now a days?

paulchua likes this.
  5. LorenzoOO

LorenzoOO Formula Junior

Sep 21, 2017
    Italia, US NE
    Full Name:
    Lorenzo LaMattina
    Sounds like a strange story to me.

Mikael-F360 and paulchua like this.
  6. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    #56 paulchua, Mar 8, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2018
    I've seen stranger things - just that all the folks I know that have bought their 488s - don't bat an eye on the prospect of (I quote 'ridiculous') $400 oil changes 7 years later, nor are itching to add a spoiler to it so the car look more "aggressive", saved 7 years for their dream Ferrari - yet did 'not enough research' when buying it (never even heard the exhaust note), and are so worried about repair and maintenance, even though all 488s get free scheduled maintenance for 7 years.

Again, not saying this is not all fact -- it's just he is the most unconventional 488 owner I've ever seen. I don't know - maybe he's friends with 1italiantrash.

DrewH likes this.
  7. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    Don't you have one (or two?) of those rare-as-a-unicorn $22,000 specialty diagnostic tools?

absostone likes this.
  8. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    I own both and the 355 will cost more due to the engine out service, but it’s so worth it.
    The 355 is the only Ferrari that has power and a nimble small stature(F40 & 288 excluded). After the 355, the cars expanded dramatically in size. I have the F1 and find it fantastically engaging if you know how to drive it properly.
    I put Tubi headers on it for about 5k which is a permanent fix. Other than that it’s been routine or optional improvements / maintenance. It’s a more quirky car, but much more character.....and what a beautiful design and amazing sound.

The CS being a late 360 variant has been flawless for the past 5 years. Literally no issues other than routine service.

G. Pepper and paulchua like this.
  9. F355 Fan 82

F355 Fan 82 F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2006
    Neither car costs more than your 488. That’s a depreciating asset that loses a ton everyday

10. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    I have an SD2. If an SD1 comes up, I will probably grab it for the right price and will also probably get an SDX down the road. I like toys ;)

11. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    Uploads videos of 355 engine attached to an engine cradle setting degree wheel to TDC, has a lift in his garage and an SD2 for diagnostic work... of course a 355 is "super reliable when a person has in essence a fully stocked Ferrari repair shop at their personal disposal and the mechanical ability to use it. (FWIW I am jealous :) )

If someone had these resources at their disposal, it's a just a *smidge* misleading to compare ownership to someone that pays for everything done to their car. I know if I had to pay out the nose for repairs while someone else just fixed an issue for free in their garage on a saturday, I'd be mad if someone misled me claiming "no problems".

12. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    LOL Curt - I have 2 355's, had a 3rd. My first was a 98 F1 GTS (still have it) - had it over 5 years now. Great car - biggest expense was replacing CAT's (less than $1500 in parts - yes, I installed them myself).

My other is a 95 Berlinetta that I'm doing a full restoration on. I have the tools and the SD coz it's my hobby and I have no shop near by even if I wanted to have someone else do the work. But, my 98's not needed much of anything ;)

INTMD8 likes this.
  13. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    Should not have to state the obvious but owning tools and having the ability to service your own car doesn't mean it's breaking down all the time.

absostone, Shark01 and Dave rocks like this.
  14. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Ontario, The Real One in Canada
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    Neither. Get a 911t manual and be done with it. More reliable, less attention.
    S2000? Ugh...compare that to a miata, not a Ferrari.

RossoC360 and randkin like this.
  15. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    [QUOTE="...

OP - get your advice from someone with actual experience.[/QUOTE]

I am going to remember this one the next time some dumb ass offers advice without any actual experience.

randkin likes this.
  16. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    If not properly serviced, every car breaks eventually. Therefore, the ease, cost and ability to service one car vs another is certainly a factor when deciding what car to buy.

Even if you have not had to drop the engine on a 355, having the tools and resources to do it certainly makes the potential headaches of maintenance less of a factor for you.

17. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    After being on this forum for 5 years, I think its safe to say that most 355 owners seem to be the type of guys that like to wrench on their cars. So, many of us enjoy it. That's the main reason I have the tools and have taken the time to learn about the car (and still learning, BTW). I'm fortune to be friends with a few of the best Factory Master Techs in the USA to get help from.

18. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    I second what Dave is saying. It’s a must to learn to do basic maintenance on all these cars. If you can’t diagnose or service ANYTHING, your wallet will be drained.

thorn likes this.
  19. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    Yes of course.

The suggestion was - "If someone had these resources at their disposal, it's a just a *smidge* misleading to compare ownership to someone that pays for everything done to their car. I know if I had to pay out the nose for repairs while someone else just fixed an issue for free in their garage on a saturday, I'd be mad if someone misled me claiming "no problems"."

So that means if someone can fix/maintain their own car they are dishonest about it's reliability? Dave's experience with his own car is not valid because he owns tools?

Obviously not a logical conclusion.

So back to the facts. The OP would not be maintaining either car himself so it comes down to reliability and cost. If we are talking about properly maintained cars they are both reliable and the 355 is marginally more expensive to service.

If the delta between 355/360 servicing cost pushes you into the "can't afford it" range, you shouldn't be buying either car.

Dave rocks and RossoC360 like this.
  20. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    I would ask the op what does he want out of the car? That will decide which one.

paulchua likes this.
  21. F355 Fan 82

F355 Fan 82 F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2006
    I dont know why most people complain about the 355 running costs. Honestly I had an S65 AMG and it cost nothing to run under warranty except I lost $140k in 4 years. Awesome $35k a year loss and $0 maintenance. I'd happily pay even $10k/year to maintain a 355 I pay $75k for and sell it for $75k in 4 years. I've learned my lesson with cars. I know tons on this site always say they dont care about the money or whatever but I sure as hell do and the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and not learning. I learned quick. I lease an S65 now, would never buy another and the 2 cars I do own a 575 and an SLR I figure cost me $10k/year on avg to maintain total and in 5 years will cost me $50-60k total to run but more than likely after paying $104k for the 575 and $180k for the SLR I probably wont lose anything on the downside and could possibly even walk away with a profit when its all done. New cars cost nothing to maintain but sure as hell cost you a fortune in what you lose. Obviously its not apples to apples bc many people can afford to finance a $75k car but there's no financing repair bills unless you have a 0% interest credit card but the point is who cares what a 355 costs to run, its overall ownership costs will be lower than most cars in the same price range out there when all is said and done.

paulchua likes this.
  22. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    :), something that has maintenance levels of an S2000, and doesn’t get attention=but compliments his 488 in sound. Has to be manual and under 80k. By the way, I saw a leprechaun and 2 unicorns this morning.

23. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Right now the lowest cost Ferrari is the Mondial (which many people automatically blow off), then 348 (which is a great car, but very close in cost to the universally praised 355), then the F355. By mental default, it’s the entry level right now. That’s an amazing considering it one of the greatest Ferrari of all time, and if you are a proper steward (like many here) an unbelievable opportunity . To the unitiated, you know say folks that lump an S2000 with a F355; maintenance is not only not taken seriously, but feared. Totally wrong mind set. So I think we’ll see more people that have no business owning a F355 but they only see the relatively low entry cost and stretch and barely get it...we all know what happens next. Sadly many will blame the car for it’s ‘high running costs.’

24. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    I didn't say that, nor did I imply that Dave is being dishonest about his experience with HIS CARS. If Dave has never melted headers or had valves destroyed - that's freaking great. Does that mean every other 355 is in the clear, then?

Rather, my point - and it's factually true - is that if you have a fully-equipped shop with tools + a lift + scan tools + skills, then ANY maintenance you do on your Ferrari (any Ferrari) will not be the same expense as taking your car to a mechanic and writing the check. And if you're paying someone else to maintain your car (or fix something that broke), then maintenance costs should be part of your equation.

It costs me $255 to do a belt change on a 308. Is that what it costs in a shop? Of course not.

To change the belts (normal maintenance) on a 355, start by dropping the engine. On a 360, remove a panel in the cockpit. If you find those labor costs "marginally different", then we have a different definition of the word.

25. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    I'm quite certain my 98's headers will be toast at some point and actually plan to install Tubi next major (next winter) weather they need them or not.

355's have the reputation and we can argue how they got it, but in my opinion, from my experience and being friends with a lot off 355 owners here, the bad one are likely a result of poor service. Aside from the know issues, when sorted, they run very well. My 98 will never have value guide problems so nothing for me to worry about there ;)

Most certainly, no argument. The argument is the reilability of the car in general and my comments are based on my experience. I've not needed to use my SD2 on my car yet (I will at some point to change F1 fluid), so just because I have the cool gadgets does not mean the car requires a lot of cost to run. :)