F355 vs NSX | FerrariChat

F355 vs NSX

Discussion in '348/355' started by MAD828, Nov 25, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MAD828

MAD828 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2011
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Elliott Caras
    I've always been a Honda fan (especially the 90's variants).

Here is a recently uploaded video comparing the two legends:

PaulK and Yassa like this.
  2. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    I did like the NSX but know next to nothing about them. That one looks a bit fat. I seem to recall a much sleeker car. Anyway, it's no 355 ;)

Steve355F1 and MAD828 like this.
  3. MAD828

MAD828 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2011
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Elliott Caras
    We have to thank the NSX for the 355 though Dave.

davidoloan likes this.
  4. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Perhaps. I just want to know why someone put spider seats in a GTS. Can you say fail? ;)

5. itsablurr

itsablurr Formula 3

Dec 9, 2005
    Carlisle, MA
    Full Name:
    Matt
    NSX is a great Japanese sports car, but just does not come close to being the event that a 348 or a F355 is.

Hammonds rider and MAD828 like this.
  6. Andy 355

Andy 355 Formula Junior

Jun 2, 2013
    Sydney
    The 355 has sight, sound and soul. Perhaps the nsx is nice to look at but you put your keys on the bar and one says Honda and the other Ferrari. Put it that way and it all becomes clear.

FCOnyx, Steve355F1, TrojanFan and 2 others like this.
  7. MAD828

MAD828 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2011
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Elliott Caras
    This was annoying me too lol

Dave rocks likes this.
  8. Drock28

Drock28 Formula 3

Jan 13, 2013
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Tony
    good review..

just from a viewing/listening perspective.. the NSX.. definitely seems to have more grunt at the lower end.
    but it also seemed he was driving the NSX harder then the 355.

9. jgriff

jgriff Formula 3

Jun 16, 2008
    Houston, TX
    What happened to Honda? They used to make such great cars. After they stopped making the S2000 its been all downhill.

MAD828 and flat_plane_eddie like this.
  10. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Spider envy! Notice he also said the 355 sounded better with the roof off. More spider envy. :D

Also, that 355 seems to sit high at the nose.

And the NSX, F1 sound, at least with todays F1 engines. :(

11. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    NSX is a bit stronger below around 4500 based on dyno sheets I've seen. VTEC and VVIS helps especially considering it's a 3 liter.

I have not driven one but would like to. I think it would be a great daily driver, especially seeing so many with 200k+ miles.

Overall more pedestrian than an F355 but with that I'm sure cheaper to put a ton of miles on.

The one big plus over a 355 is that it has an aluminum body.

12. Steve355F1

Steve355F1 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2011
    Adelaide, South Aust
    Full Name:
    Steve
    The NSX in the vid was the later 3.2 litre variant, but still with the pop-up lights.
    ie. the most desirable one.

I really like NSXs a lot. There are a few around here I see from time to time and they look great.
    In fact one went past me about a week ago.
    But, frankly, they don’t come close to the thrill of seeing and hearing a nice 355.

FWIW, both cars in that clip seem to be riding high to my eyes.

MAD828 likes this.
  13. John M

John M Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2004
    Kentucky
    I've always thought the NSX interior sucks. That is where it falls apart for me. It should have been something special, but rather looks like a daily driver and reminds me far too much of my Acura TSX and other previous Japanese car, a 90' Nissan 300ZX. The NSX is a great car, but it certainly is not the special event of driving a Ferrari 355. The niche the NSX fills nicely is a reliable sports car you can daily drive. And FTR, Honda still makes great cars, but to haul groceries and families, not to haul arse! :D

MAD828 likes this.
  14. joe1973

joe1973 Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2016
    NJ
    Take the era into context. Honda (engines) were reigning F1 champs when they launched the NSX. I recall Ayrton giving press drives around the track before races during the launch year, leaving lots of them with wobbly knees. Ferrari had the name at the time but not the clout or success level as Honda. At the time. Must be about management directives which seems to be lacking at Honda these days, just ask Alonso about his car. If there's a Japanese marque to challenge the big Euros soon it would be Toyota. Just my hunch.

15. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    This picture does the car much better justice. In the video above, the wheels just don't look right to me - they look too fat and they make the car look fat.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

16. flat_plane_eddie

flat_plane_eddie F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    About 7-8 years ago I had an Acura Integra as my daily driver. I was looking to get a fun car and an NSX was one of the models considered.

Tried one out and thought it felt like a lower Integra with more power. This is from the driver's position; I couldn't get over the fact that the interiors were very similar. With an exhaust and high flow cats I'm sure it would sound better but still not a fan of the V6 engine note.

Having said that, they're great cars. I would take a 355 over an NSX without any hesitation but let's not forget 355 maintenance is up there.

17. 05011994

05011994 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 1, 2004
    Golden, Colorado
    Had a 1991 NSX from 1999-2006 and it was a wonderful car and a lot of fun with low operating costs and maintenance. Replaced it in 2006 with 1995 F355 Berlinetta and have not looked back, both are awesome cars, but the F355 engine and styling really take it to another level.

MAD828 likes this.
  18. fsprow

fsprow Rookie

Oct 21, 2007
    Dallas, Texas
    Full Name:
    Frank Sprow
    Drove my NSX 230,000 miles with only routine replacements of tires, fluids etc. Fine performance but not the the image or feel of the Ferrari.

Great vehicle though.

19. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    my biz partner had 4 different nsx back in day. i drove them on several occasions and found it boring at anything under 7/10ths. no comparion to my ferrari which i drove back to back with nsx. doesnt even have claim to greatest jap exotic anymore as gtr is vastly superior. we should all be thankful to nsx for making exotic manufacturers build reliabilty and practicality too. porsche lambo, mac, ferrari all owe debt of gratitude to nsx

20. WATSON

WATSON Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2010
    WI
    I love the NSX. Very pretty car.

But buying one and parking it next to a Ferrari 355in the garage? To what end?

21. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    Drive the NSX to work M-F and the 355 on the weekend? That's what I would do.

MAD828 likes this.
  22. emac

emac Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 14, 2014
    upstate SC
    Full Name:
    ernest
    I have a 97 NSX targa with the 3.2 liter motor. 23K miles. It is a very practical car. Everything is logical and in the right spot. No problem hoping in it and just driving. Runs and drives great. BUT it is not a 355. Pedal position in the NSX is so bad you can put your shoe between the brake and gas pedal and not touch either one! I had to add a wider pedal so I could heel/toe downshift. Interior is a bit cheap, and everyone thinks its a corvette. I disagree with the guy in the video, I think the 355 is so much more solid of a car. It just feels bigger, better and stronger.

NSX positives:
    door handles you can find/see
    gas tank fill release works with car off and is a cable not a switch.
    windows go up fast
    no immobilizer
    normal climate control system
    replaced the timing belt and water pump after 19 years and it looked perfect and cost 1500 with labor and parts!

Personally, they may look similar but they are really two different cars. I love them both. I guess it is kind of like identical twins. Once you get to know them they are two different people and really only resemble each other.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

flat_plane_eddie and Dave rocks like this.
  23. Nader

Nader Formula Junior

Feb 12, 2011
    East of Seattle
    NSX is awesome from the A-pillar forward.

24. malex

malex Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 5, 2007
    FL
    Yup. Spot on. The NSX would be a great every day use sports car if one wants a different experience than a Porsche or Corvette, coupled with Honda reliability.

I'd have no hesitation about parking one in my garage next to my 355. It was a fantastic car in its day. True, the interior is a bit mundane, but interiors in 348/355's aren't really that special either . . . I know, I know . . . a sacrilege ;)

25. vvassallo

vvassallo F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2006
    Palos Verdes
    Full Name:
    Vince V
    We used to have lots of animated discussions here on the NSX vrs. the 348, but supporters never dared the 355 comparison. Once you drive an NSX, the comparison question is moot. If you prefer the NSX, nothing we tell you will change your (warped) opinion.