F355 vs NSX | Page 2 | FerrariChat

F355 vs NSX

Discussion in '348/355' started by MAD828, Nov 25, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. KMR968Turbo

KMR968Turbo Formula 3

Nov 11, 2007
    Calgary, Alberta
    Full Name:
    Erik
    I have both a 355 and a modified NSX. My NSX is supercharged and making 360 WHP. It is definitely the faster car in straight line. But on a road course my 355 is miles more confidence inspiring and fun to drive. The steering feel alone was night and day different. The NSX rack is slow and you need to shuffle steer in tight corners. I am far more likely to spin my NSX than the 355 and the brakes in stock form were not something to write home about. I still love the NSX and think it's a spectacular car but if you could give my 355 another 100 hp it would out perform it on the straights as well as the corners. Image Unavailable, Please Login

sdavies88 and INTMD8 like this.
  2. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    So whats your favorite sports car color??

3. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    355 looks modded too.. nice. What's been done?

4. KMR968Turbo

KMR968Turbo Formula 3

Nov 11, 2007
    Calgary, Alberta
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Actually it's all stock........with the exception of softer springs and a different exhaust. ;)

5. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    Is it a challenge? Wing?

6. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    That 355 cannot be all stock....

1) Shields
    2) Wing, not stock unless you have a Challenge, not street legal.
    3) pop up headlight cut-outs...

Nice Challenge wheels....

7. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    His car is a factory Challenge

8. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    And those are decals on the headlight covers. I can't make out the passenger side decal but the one on the driver's side is the Professional Sports Car Racing (PSCR) decal...

Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. KMR968Turbo

KMR968Turbo Formula 3

Nov 11, 2007
    Calgary, Alberta
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Passenger side is the Shell logo.

10. KMR968Turbo

KMR968Turbo Formula 3

Nov 11, 2007
    Calgary, Alberta
    Full Name:
    Erik
    V8ray and 308 GTB like this.
  11. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    I think only the 1995 355 challenge can be street legal, the later ones are not.

12. Jackie and bill

Jackie and bill Formula Junior

Nov 29, 2014
    GB
    Full Name:
    William
    Lol good for you :)

13. Roth

Roth Formula Junior

Apr 1, 2016
    Pepsi Generation
    Every car manufacturer has a system and method of building their cars. No matter the price range or model, the underlying signature feel is common in all the lineup with very small variations. Am not an expert on the NSX. I don’t own one nor would I want one but I’ve driven it a few times along with many regular and tricked out Honda/Acura. My feeling about the NSX is this but just to make sure it’s not a one off brand experience l’ll explain my experience with a brand I know well.

My first car even before I had my license was a BMW 3 series. Since then I’ve own all the series. Cheap ones and expensive one. The underlying signature feel of every BMW is the precision steering. The communication between the car and the drive reports the condition of the road. Honda/Acura too have a signature feel. From my experience there’s no communication between the car and the driver. Navigating a sharp corner requires greater caution. The only note worthy differences between the NSX and Honda/Acura, is that the NSX has more horse power and a stiffer suspension. This I expect. The NSX is not a brand by itself but a model of the Acura brand which itself a spinoff of Honda. Naturally, it shares the driving feel of it siblings with slight improvement. So to conclude my opinion, what the NSX have is the horse power number of the era. Those days, 300 + horses equates to man landing on the moon. The fact that placed the NSX on elevated stage with the 348 but has nothing else to offer. Comparing it to the 355 is wrong and shameful. The 355 was a top pedigree of its time in many aspects not just horse power numbers. Of course it’s just my opinion. Unfortunately, my opinion is not a stock option listed on the NASDAQ, we’re all be millionaires many times over. :)

vvassallo likes this.
  14. vvassallo

vvassallo F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2006
    Palos Verdes
    Full Name:
    Vince V
    I had an early Legend that had coil overs and it was the most neutral handling car you could find in 1989 - and it was a front driver. A German told me it was just like his BMW 6-er and an SCCA pilot confirmed the handling and feel. Of course, he set the car up. :) The NSX is pretty good, but not as engaging as a 348 or even a 355. Our 1995-era Prelude was also pretty precise in its handling and don't forget that the Prelude brought out 4-wheel mechanical steering in 1987 in the their 3rd gen version. I don't diss Hondas generally because they have had some interesting models despite the (yawn) Accord's domination of their sales figures.

15. frascati

frascati Karting

Mar 5, 2012
    SF Bay Area, CA
    I have both. Drive them one after the other and the quality of the NSX is felt quickly. Hard driving through the mountains with both of them leaves me respecting the NSX more. Come the 360,430,&458 however and Ferrari left Honda in the dust. The 355 is no bucking bronco - both cars want to be high in the rev range.

16. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Its not street legal in usa but thankfully we live in a country that doesnt check or really care

17. Roth

Roth Formula Junior

Apr 1, 2016
    Pepsi Generation
    Geeeeesh, work is getting in the way of Fchat. I need to be on here more :).

We like to compare cars between brands from the same era based on power output alone. A car’s dynamic is not just horse power and torque. It is three deminsional; sight, sound and feel. Audibly, no car on the road today or the past sounds better than a 355. Visually, the 355 is the top looker. And if you never driven a 355, you don’t know the feel. Beating on a dead horse here, between 1995 and 1999, no car compares to the 355 at all levels.

I wouldn’t even consider a NSX over a 348/355. Just an honest opinion :)

MAD828 likes this.
  18. vvassallo

vvassallo F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2006
    Palos Verdes
    Full Name:
    Vince V
    Um, not to drag out an old rivalry (right), but the 348 is a better driving car and more engaging, which is what a Ferrari is meant to be. It is far less expensive to operate, more reliable and more masculine (IMO). Plus one does not need to keep that mandatory tube of hair gel in the glove box. The only things a stock 355 has over a 348 is; a) your GF can drive it with the power steering, softer suspension and F1 transmission; b) it revs higher so it sounds better c) it is more comfortable (like a Porsche ;)), it has better wheels (after all, we 348ers upgrade to them) and is more valuable (of course it costs more too). Just to weigh in. :D

Hammonds rider likes this.
  19. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    The 355 is better that the 348 for only 1 reason
    I dont have a 348
    Yet!!!