355 - F355 Wheel Dispute | FerrariChat

355 F355 Wheel Dispute

Discussion in '348/355' started by bmwguy54, Oct 21, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bmwguy54

bmwguy54 Rookie

Mar 5, 2015
    In late 2020 I bought a 1999 Ferrari F355 from a dealer in Florida. It had a salvage title as it had apparently been in a frontend collision and repaired. I'm guessing that wheels were damaged in the accident, as when I bought it, it had terrible steel faux modular wheels that weighed a ton and were the wrong size. The fronts required spacers and all four rubbed when the suspension was compressed. [​IMG]

I sold some spare parts to a man in Canada through eBay, and asked in my correspondence with him if he knew a source for some stock magnesium wheels for the car. He said that he had four in "really nice condition" that he would be willing to sell to me for $3,000, shipping included. Although this seemed high for used wheels, I was desperate to restore the car to its original condition and performance. Here is a picture he sent me to show one of the wheels. [​IMG]It looked perfect, so I sent the money off via wire transfer. He came back and said that the exchange rate had changed, and would I mind sending a little more to compensate? I eventually sent him $3,068 American for the deal, $3,600 Canadian.

After many delays and procrastinations, due, he said, to travel and the necessity of having the existing tires dismounted, he mailed me the wheels. When they came, I was concerned that they had been repainted with paint from spray cans, were still wet, and the shipping material had stuck to the wheels. Further, it appeared as though two had body putty or some like material applied under the paint. I took them to the local alloy wheel repair shop in Colorado Springs and asked their opinion. They put two on the their balance machine and this revealed that they were bent, and not only bent, but irreparable. I contacted the seller and said I was not happy with the condition of the wheels, and wanted a refund. Please send a shipping label, etc.

There was no reply for the longest time, and eventually I received an abusive email saying that he was not responsible for the condition of the wheels, that they were as described, and that I was wrong to complain. He would not be returning my money; they were mine. I then offered to pay for shipping, both his and mine to return them. Refund me the balance, please. No reply. In desperation I had the alloy wheel people dip them and see if they were reparable. Here's what they discovered. One wheel had been welded, unsuccessfully, and the bad weld covered with fiberglass. [​IMG]The rim had been machined to the point that it was too thin to support a tire. [​IMG]Another had been cracked, and unsuccessfully welded as well. [​IMG]The other two were also bent and out of round, one being "center bent" where the entire rim is out of true with the bolt pattern. They had been covered with strange paint that would not come off entirely by dipping. [​IMG]

One of the shop employees said that he had seen many ****ty wheels in his day, but these were the worst. I paid the shop $150 for the privilege of having the truth about the wheels, and pondered what to do. Because my car is wonderful and I don't want to endanger my passengers or myself, I elected to do the only thing that was right, and I threw them away in the trash. [​IMG]The trash company charged me $15 extra for the added load. So here I stand having paid $3,233 for garbage wheels. I then ordered, for about $2,600 some Ferrari wheels from Eurospares, which I adore. Should have done that first. The fellow who sold me the first set is named Steven Eisener, and he lives in Halifax, Nova Scotia. He says he does business on Ferrari Chat. He claims to have an F355, and was very communicative in our early correspondence. He goes by accordguy96 on eBay. I am not conducting an ad hominem argument against him, as much as urging all of you to always use a financial intermediary when doing business on the internet. Do not leave the confines of eBay or a bank credit card, so you will have recourse should things not be the way they should be. Nor should you assume that because somebody has the same car, that he can be trusted in financial matters. Oh, I almost forgot. Steven did give me center caps, which fit the new wheels. So I have nice center caps, which only cost $808.25 each. [​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. itsablurr

itsablurr Formula 3

Dec 9, 2005
    Carlisle, MA
    Full Name:
    Matt
    File attachment for a story that could be copied and pasted? that's not sketchy at all.... :eek:

Please paste the text.

*thanks. This Steve guy sounds like a scumbag. Textbook case for transacting via a method that has a degree of buyer recourse (cc/paypal) versus wire.

3. Ferrarista98

Ferrarista98 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 7, 2018
    Full Name:
    Jason L
    If you haven't already, I'd send all information you have about the guy and your transaction to the moderators so they can deal with the situation accordingly. Not sure you have much recourse unless you want to make it a legal matter and take it to small claims court, but not sure how that would work between USA and Canada. Sorry to hear of your misfortune, really ruins it for the 99% of guys on here that are looking to do an honest, clean transaction.

4. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    The wheels are magnesium you can't weld them, wonder what the repair was.

5. bmwguy54

bmwguy54 Rookie

Mar 5, 2015
    The pictures are very important to the story, and I don't know how to include them. I tried pasting a Word document, and you see what I got. I you can tell me how to do it, I would very much appreciate it. BMWguy

6. bmwguy54

bmwguy54 Rookie

Mar 5, 2015
    So here are the photos in no particular order. The nice wheel is the photo the seller sent me. The chrome wheel is one of the ones that came on the car. Note the modular bolts are fake and the whole thing is solid iron. The other photos are of the wheels he sent me after stripping was attempted. Note the "welds," the fiberglass, the body putty, the milling, and the bends. I'll try to import a movie I have of one of the wheels spinning on a balance machine, showing the incredible distortion.

7. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Don't know what it is about 355 wheels but there are more scams trying to buy 355 wheels than anything else, ALWAYS from out of the country too. That alone is a red flag whether it is or not.... its a red flag. Usually with a tempting price that's too good to pass up, lucky me I found them. Good 355 wheels are usually about 5K -6K.

carnutdallas and Yassa like this.
  8. itsablurr

itsablurr Formula 3

Dec 9, 2005
    Carlisle, MA
    Full Name:
    Matt
    holy $#%#&*

Yassa and MAD828 like this.
  9. INRange

INRange F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2014
    Virginia/Florida/Caymans
    Full Name:
    JD
    Unbelievable. Why would anyone do that?

Yassa and MAD828 like this.
  10. bmwguy54

bmwguy54 Rookie

Mar 5, 2015
    PhilB likes this.
  11. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Never seen a car with those wheels in full. Its always just a wheel shot which tells very little. If you get a chance, pull back and take a full car picture with the wheels.:)

12. PhilB

PhilB Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2004
    NYC, USA
    Full Name:
    Phil

I run those wheels on my 355 also, I love them! They were a 355 factory option issued around 2000.

They also enable me to keep my factory wheels boxed up and pristine, since in NYC the roads are awful and the freeze/thaw cycle creates havoc.

As for the seller who did you wrong, I'd suggest to him that you will be paying him a visit....

13. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    What's really odd is that he even bothered to send anything, I mean why.... it was a scam even if it did not start out that way it ended that way, your not getting money back, why pay shipping to send you anything at all. The whole thing is very strange almost like he was a middleman and never saw or had the wheels.

14. PhilB

PhilB Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2004
    NYC, USA
    Full Name:
    Phil
    In my opinion, you have to pounce hard and quickly on these types of people, if nothing more than just to cause them some grief. Contact the local police, pay a lawyer to put a lien on his house, figure out where he works and contact him/her there, you'd be surprised how much info a little digging turns up. Contact your bank, just become a pia to everyone involved in the transaction, if nothing more you get to work off some steam.

willrace likes this.
  15. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    So how did you pay him?????

I've bought tens of thousands of dollars in used parts over the years and always go the extra distance to protect myself when exceeding $1,000

16. MAD828

MAD828 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2011
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Elliott Caras
    Those wheels are disgusting!!!! Wow. I had a similar experience wanted a spare set bought them and they came in and were badly repaired and welded in parts. I thankfully got my money back.

Yassa likes this.
  17. WATSON

WATSON Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2010
    WI
    Those wheels are fine....

The fiberglass is to fill in the cracks so the air doesn't leak out (as fast). They help balance them out as well.

hahahahahahahahaha

Holy hell.

I like the garbage day photo the best. Well played.

carnutdallas and Yassa like this.
  18. Tarek307

Tarek307 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 26, 2018
    Long Beach, CA & Alexandria,Egypt.
    Full Name:
    Tarek Salah
    you need to post sellers name and phone number, put him on blast!!! remember no such thing as a free lunch, did you really think you can buy a set of good 355 oem wheels for $3k.. hope you paid by credit card or paypal..now if you tell us you paid by western union i will have to laugh (sorry)

Targatime and Yassa like this.
  19. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Holy crap
    You would think he would at least use carbon fiber

20. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    The photo of that wheel barrel with fiberglass and filler could possibly be the most confusing thing I've ever seen.

Yassa likes this.
  21. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    Yassa likes this.
  22. emac

emac Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 14, 2014
    upstate SC
    Full Name:
    ernest
    Unbelievable. I have posted WTB (not on Fchat) in a couple of car forums and it was insane the number of scammers that contacted me. Be skeptical of anyone that just joined a forum and always run photos through Google photos, as some of these scumbags just send you pictures from the net of the parts you are searching for. Lots of shady stuff these days. Sorry this happened to you, thanks for posting the warning.

Yassa likes this.
  23. PaulK

PaulK F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I have a set of original F355 wheels I might sell if the price is right. I am pretty sure one has been refinished but they are in flawless condition. I'd only sell them to upgrade to the challenge wheels.

Though since Ferrari isn't making either anymore it would be wise to keep what I have...

Those wheels are the worst wheels I have ever seen. I am sorry to see this.

24. GTO Joe

GTO Joe Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 15, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Joseph Troutwine
    Beware the fake 355 wheels. :p

Attached Files:

bcar1 and ShineKen like this.