F40 Clutch bleeder fitting | FerrariChat

F40 Clutch bleeder fitting

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by garysp7, May 15, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. garysp7

garysp7 Formula Junior

Mar 28, 2004
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Has anyone noticed any leaking or weeping (slight leak) within the clutch bleeder fitting? I am refering to the fitting with the cone shaped threaded male part that seats within the female that has the exact same angle for the cone to seat into. I noticed a difference between the two angles and determined that my loss of pressure was coming from there.
    Has abyone had this problem and how did you correct it?
    Thanks
    gary

2. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    I do not think the the bleeder fitting it the source of your problems. The material that Ferrari cast the bellhousings on 288 GTO's and F40's reacts with brake fluid by outgassing. Over time this will result in a spongy clutch pedal. Ferrari tried to solve the problem on 288 GTO's by removing and treating the bellhousing with some type of coating.
    Some types of brake fluid outgas worse than others, Castrol GT LMA for example. Factory Mercedes Benz fluid seems to be the best fluid so far for not outgassing. I would recommend flushing it once a year.

If you still think that your bleeder is leaking, you can put some fine valve lapping compound on just the tapered seating surface, then tighten and loosen the screw until it seats properly. When you remove and clean the screw you should be able to see a pattern where the screw is contacting the seat. Keep working the screw with the compound until there is a distinct pattern all the way around the tapered seat.

Brian

3. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    gary -- Why so many clutch problems? Can't you put some information in your Profile? Would disclosing your past and present F be an unacceptable risk?

4. garysp7

garysp7 Formula Junior

Mar 28, 2004
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Hi Steve:
    Let me explain my postings.
    I have placed two postings for my old and closest friend Richard.
    We both starte racing back in SCCA back in the 60's. A production- 427 Cobras).
    Richard is not good with computers and even though I have registered him for this board he has constant problems with his computer and can not seem to get on to the chat board. We are in the process of fixing that.
    I can honestly say he can fix just about any Ferrari easier than he can log onto the internet. Both his cars are concourse winners and are maintained superbly.
    His history is:
    three or four different 246 Dinos starting when they first came 0ut. Several of them being coupes, the others being targas.
    Then he owned two 308's, both carburetor cars, one being glass.
    Then two 328's, one a targa.
    During these cars, there was also a 206SP in the early 70's that he restored.
    Then there was a 330 P something. I am not sure about that one. I was away out of the country for a few years at that time.
    He now has a 90 Testarossa which he bought new and an F40.
    He asked me to pos these messages in the hopes he could get some input from fellow F owners.
    I am hopeful soon that he will be able to log on himself.
    Sorry for any misleading as that was not the intent.
    Thaks for the input
    Gary

5. ferrarioldman

ferrarioldman Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Jun 19, 2002
    Summerfield, NC
    Full Name:
    Tom Jones
    Gary, To answer your question about the bleeder, I have had to replace several bleeder screws and their housings on 348's and 355's due to corrosion which are basically the same as the F40. They would not seal no matter what you did. I would get a very slow drip. The porous problem was mainly to do with the 288 bellhousing but have even seen this in 348's aluminum housings. I have never seen or heard of a porous problem in a F40 but that doesn't mean that it couldn't happen.You may want to dye your brake fluid to see if you can trace where your fluid is going if you actually have a porous casting problem.

6. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Gary -- Thanks for the detailed response, but you told us little about yourself -- are you now sans anything sports/GT, collectible, muscle, etc.? You seem like a good friend, and definitely get Richard to come here -- what a wonderful F past and present!

7. garysp7

garysp7 Formula Junior

Mar 28, 2004
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Hi Steve:
    I have enjoyed the Chat board here immensely.
    I personally have wanted one for over thirty years now.
    When I was 17 I worked for Joe marchetti in Chicago and prepped many of his 275GTB4's and 365 GTB4's that came into his shop. I was a teenage gearhead who drove a 66 mustand with a Holman and moody small block. After that I raced a Boss 302 mustang and helped my friend with his 427 Cobra.
    After that there was the war and a lot of shool and my Ferrari buyiing always seemed to be getting put at the bottom of the priority list. In the mid 90's I started racing a Ducati 888 superbike for a few years.
    Now, finally I feel I can place the Ferrari purchase to the near top of my prioroty list. Unfortunately my list is still long. So I am now searching for a 2000 or 2001 550 with low miles with a Fiorano handling package with shields and low miles and no damage. I am willing to wait for the perfect car. As my friend richard says, I am in a perfect position, I am polishing my money while looking for a car that keeps depreciating. I figure if I wait long enough I may find a 2002 575M with the handling package and a 6 speed and shields that may fall within my budget.
    So, to answer your question, yes, I am with no sports car at this moment and keep looking.
    gary