F40 current prices, reminds me of the 90's | Page 3 | FerrariChat

F40 current prices, reminds me of the 90's

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by coachi, Nov 22, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. coachi

coachi Formula 3

May 1, 2002
    SC USA

My car has oversized slotted brake rotors,large brake calipers, oversized tires, oversized intercoolers, as well as a water injected cooling system for the intercoolers; my car also has a built in fire extinguishing system and an aftermarket suspension, which is adjustable. I doubt Ferrari Classiche would give it a passing mark....but i do love it just like that ( i can always replace the rotors, calipers, wheels etc...as well as the intercoolers) and I will keep it this way unless it is sold some day.

2. 512Tea Are

512Tea Are F1 Rookie

Apr 22, 2004
    Dear Comrade coachi,

Strip it off a bit smartish and get it Classiche Certificated while there's still money left in it.

With kind regards,

512 Tea Are

3. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Coachi actually DRIVES his.....so the various upgrades make sense (for the HEAVY US cars)........and he's known to hang out with OTHER heavily modified F40 owners......;)

So it's a band of ruffians, much like the Art Car crowd......:D.

Once you are "in' it's sometimes tough to get back 'out'.....you KNOW too much and they don't want to let ya go!

There's a grain of truth to Tea Are's prediction in regards to rampant inflation/deflation, you'd have to graph the climbing F40 value against a set scale, as in "1992 dollars" or something. Maybe our cars are actually losing value over time, but you cannot drive around on a stack of gold bars, ya know.......

4. 007GT3

007GT3 Rookie

Aug 24, 2007
    Well, you could either by an F40 or shares (or even options) in Countryslide Financial in a highly volatile market.

I know what I would do.

5. joe sackey

joe sackey Five Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Think I should?

In the words of another F40 owner: Naaah. Im having tooooo much fun here :)

Joe
    www.joesackey.com

6. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Ladies & Gentlemen, methinks I have struck a nerve!! It didnt take much, did it?

The hypocrisy of Ruf MDs previously declared position on another thread begged the fair question. The response was predictable.

Perhaps the real issue between myself and the esteemed Ruf MD is that perhaps as a mere poor broker I should know my place and not have an intelligent point of view about these matters and I should keep my thoughts and opinions to myself. But surely that would be a condescending attitude of generalization in which the position is taken that all people in the 'trade' such as myself are only there to be self-serving (which RufMD has made CLEAR is the standard he adheres to). Thats really as unfortunate as the position one could take that all doctors are quacks. Surely not...

When someone comes on any site and without provocation rails against someone they dont even know that the buying & selling of cars is not worthy of true enthusiast's focus, then later clearly chages his tune, that person is (ahem) a hypocrite, plain & simple. Thats my point. Ruf MD made it clear at the begining of the USA F40 thread (that he tried unsuccessfully to derail) that "real" enthusiasts didnt get involved with prices, values, buying & selling. Just this past weekend he encourages another poster to buy a CGT and flip it: "It will be easy money". You catch my drift?

BTW on another humbling subject we should all pay attention to: I once heard a car collector declare in a loud voice at a prestegious Concours that his Italian classics were keepers: "Ill keep them till I die!". I remember thinking "Hmmm...".
    As fate would have it not 30 days later he was diagnosed with a terminal illness and within a month threreafter all the cars were sold and gone. Personally as I get older I like to have the cars around for more longer periods, but I refrain from any declarations as you never know what curve ball life is going to pitch at you. Just a thought.

BTW Jas you are right in that you may talk about WHATEVER you wish. And we may act accordingly in response. Thats what happens on a forum....

Joe
    www.joesackey.com

7. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Heavyweight USA with "baffi" as the Italians might say.

The surveyor was most alarmed to find some road dirt in the engine bay and considered failing the car but agreed to proceed when I told him that mine is a special version of the USA F40.

One that is actually used on the road :) Fortunately he saw the humor...

Joe
    www.joesackey.com

8. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Oh do come down off your lofty doctor's pedestal. It doesnt make you any taller...

The only thing thats been established is that I add value to those that deal with me, and I tend to know what Im talking about before I open my mouth, or in this case before I hit the keyboard - at least most of the time - LOL!! Im sure I dont have to remind you :)

Oh and your whining about buying & selling when I started that other thread has clearly backfired and now your magical Crystal Ball has been dusted off and pressed into operation in search of a point of view. As Ive said before, preach the word my man... here youre preaching to the choir.

What will F40s be worth in 2009 then? Surely the good doctor can tell us... get your notepads ready.

Joe
    www.joesackey.com

9. 512Tea Are

512Tea Are F1 Rookie

Apr 22, 2004
    Dear Comrade RufMD,

Will you oblige us, please, with your pronouncement on F-40 prices?

With kind regards,

512 Tea Are

10. RufMD

RufMD F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jan 31, 2004
    USA
    Full Name:
    Jas
    lofty doctor's pedestal ? hahahahaha ! now you're really stretching eh Joe ? Nothing else left but to make false characterizations ?

Your verbal dribble has all the hallmarks of delerium...I suggest you see your doctor...

11. RufMD

RufMD F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jan 31, 2004
    USA
    Full Name:
    Jas

Can't you read Graham ? You've been so busy in your capacity as a "Sackey Lackey", that your due diligence has failed you. I believe you handler has a good grasp on my prognostications....seems to be quite a fan of my writings too....

12. RufMD

RufMD F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jan 31, 2004
    USA
    Full Name:
    Jas
    The last line in that diatribe was about the only thing that made sense....oh, and thanks for the well wishes, all the best to you and yours also.

13. Blown Z

Blown Z Formula Junior

Jun 22, 2006
    Screw the purists, you've got one helluva car!

14. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Sounds like sour grapes to me :) No, actually even with you on that lofty pedestal, I can still reach you without stretching. Think about it...

In my family we always get a second and perhaps a third opinion of any doctor's diagnosis. Fortunately I havent had to do so in recent times, and let me tell you thats a big releif for which Im grateful.

Back on this thread's topic: Please get your 'Crystal Ball' out to declare what future values of F40s will be in the next few years. Going by your most recent declaration that they will be $1million within 5 years, the question is begged: will they ALL be $1m irrespective of condition, mileage, provenance, originality, modifications?? Please enlighten us.

Joe
    www.joesackey.com

15. RufMD

RufMD F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jan 31, 2004
    USA
    Full Name:
    Jas
    I take on charity cases on many occasions...hence your ability to "reach me"....

Allow me to refer you to an earlier post, you know, the one that starts with "who the hell are you....."

heheheheh, this IS fun !

16. coachi

coachi Formula 3

May 1, 2002
    SC USA
    well, i truly love my car, and it IS different. However, when the opportunity arises, I will add another supercar, maybe an F50 or a 288 to the stable; i came within one bid from adding a 681 miles F40 to my collection, but that car would have been a garage queen; this one I love to drive. I keep saying the market will turn, and I am waiting, cash in hand. So, lets see where F40's, F 50's, 288 GTO's and Enzos are a year from now.

17. 512Tea Are

512Tea Are F1 Rookie

Apr 22, 2004
    Dear Comrades Joe Sackey and RufMD,

In all seriousness it is the cars with the correct providence that will ultimately become the most valuable. And have I mentioned that Ferrari have recently written to me confirming that the English F-40 Lightweight has been endowed with the full Classiche Certification? I am aware that one of Joe's two F-40's has undergone the extremely rigorous Classiche Certification Survey programme. Soon now all the best ones will be certified. I've been certified, Joe's been certified so when is RufMD to be certified?

With kind regards,

512 Tea Are

18. Albert V8

Albert V8 Formula Junior

Jun 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Albert

Was it not Enzo Ferrari who said,

"The demands of mass production are contrary to my temperament, for i am mainly interested in promoting new developments. I should like to put something new into my cars every morning - an inclination that terrifies my staff. Were my wishes in this respect to be indulged, there would be no production of standard models at all, but only a succession of prototypes. That is why, in my opinion, the best Ferrari is also the next one"

Mine wouldn't pass the Classiche Certification either for a number of minor reasons. I was offered the option of returning it to its factory condition but decided that was not why i own these cars.

But i also respect those who want to preserve a moment in time, and that is what the certification is in my opinion. A time capsule, full stop.

19. WCH

WCH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 16, 2003
    "In all seriousness it is the cars with the correct providence that will ultimately become the most valuable."

Certification + Climate Controlled Storage - Driving = Value?

I've had an old old car certified, and may do the same for the F40. Criticisms of the Classiche program aside, the cost of certification is so small compared to the value of the cars that I would guess many owners eventually will paper their cars.

20. 512Tea Are

512Tea Are F1 Rookie

Apr 22, 2004
    Dear Comrades,

Should I obtain another F-40 I shall have the chassis number obliterated on the one that does not have the Classiche Cetification. I shall then have another identical chassis number created of the one that has the Classiche Certification and apply it to the one that doesn't. Thus I shall have two certified cars for the price of one. In actual fact I may have two hundred or so chassis numbers made of the Classiche Certificated car plus the same number sets of Classiche Documentation. I shall sell the complete package of chassis number and Classiche Certification documentation for circa two thousand dollars. This will of course be negotiable for cash. I shall of course be seeking a marketing agent within our English colony of The United States of America. So in the first instance, please do not hesitate in contacting me through the usual channels.

With kind regards,

512 Tea Are

21. 410SA

410SA F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    A
    The Classiche Certification is nothing more than a revenue tool for Ferrari. FNA is actively pounding on its dealer network to sell the program. In the collector world it will mean nothing twenty years on, if your F40 was Classiche certified. It might even be detrimental, especially if Ferrari remanufactured anything for you in order to gain the certification.
    Savvy collectors and vintage cars dealers will do their own due diligence and the approbation of volunteer organizations like the Pebble Beach Concours de Elegance or authorized car club shows with defined judging parameters will be far more meaningful than some bought and paid for, subjective judgement, in a program designed to sell you bits and pieces you don't really need.

My opinion, and I really don't care what anyone else thinks, is that the Classiche program is a big ripoff and anyone who gave Ferrari money in exchange for a worthless piece of paper, is a world class sucker. If Ferrari really cared about their real classics they would provide the info for free. It's just archival data anyway.

Regarding Joe's goading to have Jas state F40 values five years from now is just stupid. Joe. Make up your mind - are you a sponsor/dealer, in which case you should probably stop pissing off the paying customers, or are you just an ******, in which case have at it.

22. WCH

WCH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 16, 2003
    "Savvy collectors and vintage cars dealers will do their own due diligence"

Of course. But not all market participants are "savvy collectors and vintage car dealers" - nor are such people involved in the entire market. My own belief is that, for prospective buyers lacking your good looks and charm, Classiche certification will come to constitute at least basic due diligence. Faced with, say, a list of 308s to consider, such a buyer - again, lacking your comprehensive connoisseurship - may use certification, for example, as the basis for narrowing the pool of cars worth considering.

I've been thinking about a Daytona. Certification would be nice - in fact, if it hadn't been obtained, I might ask, why not? As you suggest, my ultimate to decision whether to buy would be based largely upon the opinions of marque experts I trust, independent of certification. I nonetheless think that, if Ferrari stays with the program, it eventually will come to matter, perhaps a great deal, for the value of some examples of some models.

If you're going to be a sucker, be a really good sucker; "world class" is where I want to be!

23. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    I totally agree. Its insutling that you as the keeper of a piece of Ferrari history has to pay on top of a hefty purchasing price , a not so insignificant price to get a certification paper.

24. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    good point, but there NOT 1300 copies of the Mona Lisa......

25. 512Tea Are

512Tea Are F1 Rookie

Apr 22, 2004
    Dear Comrade 410SA,

Joe Sackey is a very kindly gentleman and will be hurt by these things that you have said and could suffer psychological damage. Perhaps RufMD has expertise in psychiatry and will offer counselling. For myself, I would just like to once again reiterate that Joe Sackey is always right. In fact, even when he is wrong, he is still right. So please do bear this is mind 410SA. And RufMD is always right too. In fact no fuquer on here is ever wrong.

Indeed, I am the only contributor to this Forum to ever admit that I have been wrong. And that occurred on the occasion when I thought I was wrong but wasn't :)

It's way past the witching hour in England and I am off to bed.

Sweet dreams and sweet repose from England.

With kind regards,

512 Tea Are