f40 door insides.... | FerrariChat

f40 door insides....

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by ross, Sep 26, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    as i go through the pictures of the inside of F40's i see there are at least 2 different kinds of doors (inside). one is a carbon fiber greyish green type - which is what i have, and then there are others that are painted red.

can somebody tell me the reason for this?

2. joe sackey

joe sackey Five Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    @ 56 cars are thought to be originally fitted with these doors, the same as the ones used for the F40 LM, naturally more than that number exist today, still they are a relatively rare sporting appointment for the F40.

The door insides have the composite door-panel deleted thus exposing the red-painted frame because the windows house fixed Lexan sliding windows as used in the LM race cars, and the door-panel is therefore unnecessary.

Affectionately referred to a 'Plexi-windows F40s' or similar monikers.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

TexasF355F1 and BtvFerrari like this.
  3. PAUL500

PAUL500 F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2013
    The construction of the doors for the roll down window spec (which has the door cards hiding the internals) is very different to the early sliding lexan window version. which has the exposed red paint etc.

Attached Files:

NürScud and joe sackey like this.
  4. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    thanks guys. i learned something.

5. PAUL500

PAUL500 F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2013
    #5 PAUL500, Sep 28, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2021
    I meant to add that all US spec cars came fitted with a modified version of the roll down window doors, which includes side intrusion bars being fitted inside. I believe some US cars have since had the lexan sliding window doors retro fitted, as have many ROW versions.

My understanding was that after the initial batch of F40s were made, then the sliders reverted to an option over what became the then standard roll downs. but few took up that basic spec