F40 drive........... | FerrariChat

F40 drive...........

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by plastique999, Nov 26, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    When you slide into the cockpit, you are enveloped with the aura of the 80’s...the smell brings back memories like “Stranger Things,” the stark 7 gauges stare at you, and the steering wheel is tilted up like a go kart - bare bones and thin in your grip with the ironic fragility of the three thin spokes...dead center, nothing but a yellow encompassing prancing horse and a small embossed yellow horn symbol.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Startup the V8 and it wakes up a monstrous but tame grumble, and just listen to the 80’s rumble, and feel the tremor of the reverberations through your spine. Pull the cord of the light crude carbon fiber door closed and that silly electronic seat belt (darn US federalies) buzzes back and pretends to harness you. Watch the temp gauges slowly climb as the engine warms and you soak in the 80’s aroma of leather, gas and memories.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

After about a 10 min cruise through the backroad switches, pedal to the metal and feeling the warp speed boost through your spine like a roller coaster...up, down, all around, spine tingling, hands clammy, pupils dilated. Brakes are warm but demand firm compression, early brake straight line, heel toe downshift, hit apex, roll throttle on and launch!
    [​IMG]

Quick note of the accelerator and brake pedal. I’ve raced a few cars before, but nothing feels as perfect as the position of the accelerator next to the brake pedal in the F40 to facilitate an easily executed heel/toe...pedals perfectly aligned next to one another with the perfect height and depth compression. Smash the breaks with toe, and blip the throttle with heel to rev match that down shift, Just sublime.
    Road feel is pin point, and feedback is all encompassing, closest to the go kart feel of a Lotus but with tremendously more monstrous power on steroids. Hit warp speed boost again...swoosh!!!! What drama!
    [​IMG]

After 45 min., I’m near my abode and don’t want to return, but reality sets in with kids and dogs yapping. I settle back down to earth, park and listen to the engine and soak in a bit more of that 80’s grumble.....
    Pull the cord on the door to open the time cockpit and I’m back to 30 years later. When you step out of this historic icon, you have to stare at its beauty and try to understand why there are all the countless aero bits and vents.
    [​IMG]

You have to open the rear enormous decklid to stare at the V8 turbo, a mechanical wonder...

[​IMG]

You try to piece together what Ferrari was trying to accomplish in the 80’s and you’re just simply awestruck.

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. C50

C50 Formula 3

Aug 19, 2016
    Awesome!
    Great write-up and fantastic pics
    Will we be signing upon the line which is dotted..?

plastique999 likes this.
  3. joe sackey

joe sackey Five Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Beautiful writeup, and 91097 is looking good!

plastique999 likes this.
  4. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    It looked even better on Friday, the 20th September 1991.

Marcel Massini

Caeruleus11 and joe sackey like this.
  5. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Amazing stuff!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

plastique999 likes this.
  6. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    good way to spend a morning!
    why do you still have the dealer paper plate on ? you have owned this car for months already no?

7. mikesufka

mikesufka F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 4, 2006
    Crosslake, MN
    Full Name:
    Mike Sufka
    Just awesome !! Congrats again.

MDS

plastique999 likes this.
  8. joe sackey

joe sackey Five Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    The images were taken shortly after plastique999 took delivery of the car whilst waiting for his historic plates to be mailed by the DMV https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/handbook/vehicle-industry-registration-procedures-manual-2/special-plates/historical-vehicle-and-horseless-carriage-license-plates/ applicable to cars at least 25 years old and of historic interest, such as an F40.

He currently has the plates.

plastique999 and of2worlds like this.
  9. FCD

FCD Karting

Nov 27, 2011
    Germany