F40 engine on dyno | Page 3 | FerrariChat

F40 engine on dyno

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by zsnnf, Jul 10, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SteveB

SteveB Karting

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    Full Name:
    Steve Barker
    Rick,

Thanks for all the info. Believe it or not, I am still looking for an F40! FoS has not found one that they feel good about yet. My patience is wearing thin. When I finally find one, I will put it on my DynoJet and see where I stand.

Steve

2. zsnnf

zsnnf Formula 3

Sep 11, 2003
    What??? You have got to be kidding!! I thought you bought one last year. Damn, sorry to hear that. Once you find one I'm sure you will love it.

Rick

3. Steve

Steve Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Steve Jenkins
    Nope... it was THIS Steve that bought one last year. And I'm STILL loving it. Mine is slightly modded (Carobu chips, exhaust, 18" wheels, bigger Brembo brake kit, LM Turbos) but your HP numbers look freaking INSANE. I'm inspired, dude. :)

4. zsnnf

zsnnf Formula 3

Sep 11, 2003

Did you buy the one in N.Y. and then out bid me on the luggage on E bay??

Rick

5. Steve

Steve Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Steve Jenkins
    Guilty.... on both counts. :) No hard feelings? :)

6. cmparrenzo

cmparrenzo F1 Rookie

Mar 3, 2002
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Chris Parr
    F40 Luggage?

Rick, you do not have a set? (damn I have 2 sets!) Finally, I beat you on something F40!

7. zsnnf

zsnnf Formula 3

Sep 11, 2003
    Chris,
    You are my hero. :) I just ordered 19" K29's for my car. They look SO GOOD on your car. Why do you only run a 9" wheel on the front? My 18" Speedlines are 10.5" in the front and I think I am going to order the Kinesis in 10.5". 13" for the rear of course. I need a 19" wheel to run a tall enough tire to go 200MPH. The 345-35-18 has been discontinued.

Rick

8. cmparrenzo

cmparrenzo F1 Rookie

Mar 3, 2002
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Chris Parr
    I had the 18" 10.5 speedlines and they were rubbing the inside of the outer fender underbraking. I think the offset is different with Kinesis though.

I am happy with my set up, I cannot offer any advice on going wider, it may work out great. I just know the front clearences are really tight.

9. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Whats the ball park for all this modding ?

Brakes + wheels + LM turbos + tuning and what am i missing ?

10. cmparrenzo

cmparrenzo F1 Rookie

Mar 3, 2002
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Chris Parr
    Brakes, with dual masters about $12,000

Wheels $6,000 plus tires = $7,600

LM Turbo's and chip $7,500

Tubi = $2,500

I had new shocks made, Koni adjustable coilovers $3,000

Drop Gears, $3,000 installed

11. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    A kicka$$ F40...... Priceless. :)

12. zsnnf

zsnnf Formula 3

Sep 11, 2003
    Blood, sweat, tears, aggravation, frustration......

13. Dougp

Dougp Rookie

Jan 18, 2004
    What are the options and availability for F40 wheels and tire combinations? I was thinking of a set of 18" wheels.

Thanks

14. zsnnf

zsnnf Formula 3

Sep 11, 2003

You can custom make just about anything in a three piece. The Magnesium wheels from Speedline and Enkie were 18x10.5 front and 18x13 rear.

15. cmparrenzo

cmparrenzo F1 Rookie

Mar 3, 2002
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Chris Parr
    You have several choices of manufacturers, HRE, Speedline and Kinesis.

I personally like Kinesis the best, so does Rick. Kinesis will custom build almost any combination you want.

Not cheap, but not the most expensive either. HRE tend to be more show rims, Speedline and Kinesis can be used street or track.

16. Roland E Linder

Roland E Linder Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    COLORADO
    Full Name:
    Roland E Linder
    I think that Speedline are out of making F40 rims and so is OZ. You also have BBS for track use. I love my HRE because they are so cool for street useand look. They have the blue prints handy.
    My BBS are 10" and 14" but I don't think that you can have 285/18 in the front on a street F40 hood.
    In the rear, 355 are available but again you have to check the room.
    LOL
    Roland
    F40LM

17. amenasce

Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion

Brakes are pretty expensive ! Anyone have retrofitted Enzo brakes on F40's ? Or is this 12k setup the best available ?

Thanks for the info !

18. Artherd

Artherd F1 Veteran

Jun 19, 2002
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ben Cannon
    Friggin sweet Rick (hat rocks too.)

JTFC, look at that torque figure! What displacement did you end up at? 3.4 ala LM? Gonna be hell on wheels.

19. cmparrenzo

cmparrenzo F1 Rookie

Mar 3, 2002
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Chris Parr
    Roland I knew OZ was out on F40's but I did not know Speedline stopped.

Roland, I had the Speedlines I traded the HRE's for and you are right, they did not fit my F40. I sold those to John because our friend said he could make them fit, but I am not sure that ever happened! I think those Speedlines would work if you machined 1" off the back.... but still have to use inside wheel safety springs, but you know all about those!

10's are too wide for a street F40....

20. cmparrenzo

cmparrenzo F1 Rookie

Mar 3, 2002
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Chris Parr
    I think for a combination set-up, that is a system that will work both on the street and the track the Brembo upgrade is as good as you are going to get.

As has been mentioned too many times on here, you HAVE to replace the stock master cylinder, if you do everything else but not replace the master, you are wasting your money!

My system is a bit above the F40 upgrade kit from Brembo as we opted for the titanium pistons on the calipers for better heat disapation, it was a $3,000 upgrade, but I think well worth it, so if you want to have the system Eric Dahl and Mark at Brembo Racing designed for my F40, you might need to dig a bit deeper....

21. cmparrenzo

cmparrenzo F1 Rookie

Mar 3, 2002
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Chris Parr
    Rick, 10.5 will not fit a street F40, they rub on inside of the outer fender (I know I had the Speedlines). They will only fit a true LM...

22. zsnnf

zsnnf Formula 3

Sep 11, 2003
    #72 zsnnf, Jul 26, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    My car has had 10.5 front speedlines on it all along. It has the 8 piston LM brakes so it needs an 18" wheel. The backspaceing on the wheel is 6.5". It does NOT rub on the outside, but it will rub the inside ducts if you go to full lock when turning.
    I am running a 265 front tire. What size did you use? I also only run .5 neg. camber. I would think this would make them rub more, not less.
    I think I am going to order the Kinesis in 10" with a 6.25 back spacing. I think I can run a 275 up front with that set-up.

Rick
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

23. zsnnf

zsnnf Formula 3

Sep 11, 2003

3.2 We hit the street tomorrow. :)

I just ordered new rear tires :)

24. cmparrenzo

cmparrenzo F1 Rookie

Mar 3, 2002
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Chris Parr
    Rick, you are lucky, Speedline made two different backspaces, but the one you have is rare, Tim Gendreau is the only other person I know with Speedlines with the "street" offset.... I was the guy with the "other" (true LM rims) that would not fit on a street F40...

This is what I get when I try to be an expert! I think I will just go to my room and try to behave!

25. amenasce

Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    What about Enkeis and BBS LM ? are they good enough for that kind of set up ? ( ie : Street use and Track abuse :) )