F40 exhaust options | FerrariChat

F40 exhaust options

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by johnbob, May 15, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. johnbob

johnbob Karting

Nov 8, 2003
    Oklahoma
    Recently purchased a 1990 F40. Love the car, but would like to make it louder. I understand that Tubi sells two versions for the car one being called LM that is basicly unmuffled pipes. How loud is the LM version and are there other options? Does replacing the stock muffler require any "tuning"?
    Thanks,
    John

2. cmparrenzo

cmparrenzo F1 Rookie

Mar 3, 2002
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Chris Parr
    I have all three exhausts for my F40. I need to say I am running with "test" pipes so factor that in.

The Tubi "sport" exhaust is nice, a bit louder than stock. I have to run this at tracks such as Laguna Seca where sound is an issue.

The LM system is what I run 99% of the time. I think it is incredible, but I am first to admit that it might not be for every one. It is EXTREMELY raw in the sound it produces and VERY loud. I like it, but I do have to be careful at times with it as it can wake up the dead!

Congratulations!

Oh, and yes, you may need to adjust your wastegate setting to avoid an overboost situation with any change you make.

Chris

3. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    F40 = needs to be loud ..therefore LM TUBI !

4. Roland E Linder

Roland E Linder Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    COLORADO
    Full Name:
    Roland E Linder
    My friend Chris is right but you can drive on the road if you don't rev above 4ooo.
    The sound is just what a F 40 is supposed to sound like. I always ran with full open pipes and never got in trouble...The question is :do you need emissions???But the pipes are easy to change.
    Have fun
    Roland
    F40LM

5. johnbob

johnbob Karting

Nov 8, 2003
    Oklahoma
    Thanks for the feedback. Could you clarify why the 4,000 RPM limit I assume this is due to sound level?
    Also, Chris refers to resetting the wastegate, I am not sure why there would be a possibility of over pressure since the waste gate is set to relieve at a cetain pressure even though the turbo might be more likely to reach that pressure quicker due to the higher efficiency resulting from the free flow exhaust would it still not be set at the same pressure as before?

6. rexrcr

rexrcr Formula 3

Nov 27, 2002
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Full Name:
    Rob Schermerhorn
    Johnbob,

See this thread for an explanation: http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17625

Best regards,

Rob Schermerhorn

7. zsnnf

zsnnf Formula 3

Sep 11, 2003
    I run the Tubi sports with a test pipe. Here in So.Cal it really turns heads. Yes, the cops too. Sure it sounds great, but my neighbors that face away from the car tell me they hear it every time I start it up. On long trips it does tend to wear on you. I am going to remove the test pipes and maybe try Cats with straight pipes.
    I saw an increase in idle speed when I remplace the stock muffler.

Maybe you can listen to a few different F40's to see which one you like the best.
    Rick

8. Roland E Linder

Roland E Linder Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    COLORADO
    Full Name:
    Roland E Linder
    I just did yesterday a 400 miles road trip with the LM and I had an other F40 with me with a Tubi.
    My car, with open pipes, below 4000rpm is quiet, after that, it's an other story.
    On the other hand, John's F40 with the Tubi was way noicier than mine below
    4000rpm...but quieter at higher rpm..
    After playing together for so many hours, I have no hesitations to stick to open pipes.
    Roland
    F40LM

9. Steve

Steve Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Steve Jenkins
    I have the muffled bypass tubes and the Tubi sport exhaust - and it's not loud enough for me. I think you guys have convinced me to get the non-muffled bypass tubes and the straight pipes. Where's the best deal on them?

Also - Chris (and others with this setup). Did you still have to make a wastegate adjustment even with the LM turbos and Carobu chips? I put the new chips in today and went for a test drive, and my hitting max boost before redline problem seems to be gone. I didn't get a chance to hit redline in any gears other than 1st-3rd, but I did notice a difference in that the boost isn't as "jerky." The guys at Carobu warned me not to mess with the wastegate settings until I got the chip and then test. But it now seems like I might not have to mess with it at all!

SteveJ

10. cmparrenzo

cmparrenzo F1 Rookie

Mar 3, 2002
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Chris Parr
    Steve, if it is happy, leave it alone! lol congrats!

11. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    John, since you're close to TX you should call James Patterson at Norwoods. He has a F40 in his shop that he put a custom exhaust on because it was 'too quiet'. I'm sure he'd be happy to discuss it with you. Maybe he could even put the phone by the car and start it up! :D