F40 Fuel Tank advice | Page 2 | FerrariChat

F40 Fuel Tank advice

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by fbrs2, Oct 11, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Telaio

Telaio Karting

Jan 11, 2006
    UK
    Full Name:
    Kevin O'Rourke
    Hi Prova F1, if you would like to contact me direct by E mamil at [email protected] I'm sure we can help with advice / help, cheers Kev.

2. ProvaF1

ProvaF1 Karting

Nov 23, 2006
    Australia
    Thanks, will do.

3. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    those tanks look so much better than all the rest. what are they?

4. Traveller

Traveller F1 Veteran

Apr 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Aluminium with a layer of fibreglass to prevent any chance of galvanic reaction and clad in Carbon and finally filled with foam.

5. Telaio

Telaio Karting

Jan 11, 2006
    UK
    Full Name:
    Kevin O'Rourke
    Hi Ross, we make these alloy fuel tanks in house as replacements for the ATL tanks which most people fit as after market units .......... as previously stated they are the same size outwardly as the Fibre glass holding frames used to contain EU bag tanks so they are self supporting and drop into place .......... they are 3mm or 1/8 inch wall thickness so are very strong; we are currently looking at fabricating replacement tanks which mirror the fittings for the original factory bag tanks, It all depends on the interest shown ??????? I'll be in touch shortly, cheers all, Kev

6. Warren Brown

Warren Brown Karting

Sep 5, 2010
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Warren Brown
    Hi Kev,
    I'm a couple of years away from bag replacement for my Classiched F40 but thought I'd ask anyway as the work you did on Tim's car was outstanding, are you still intending to make an ally replacement tank in future? I've heard some people have had issues with other options on the market.
    Cheers, Warren.

7. BarryK

BarryK Formula 3

Dec 17, 2016
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Barry K

With Classiche now requiring an annual renewal, if you fit an aftermarket tank, you can forget the certification.

8. BarryK

BarryK Formula 3

Dec 17, 2016
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Barry K

Looks lovely. Shame I haven't got the rest of the car to make a proper set of it!
    Good luck with the sale, but if you have no takers, I'd be interested in as a piece of memorabilia.

9. Ruebdo

Ruebdo Rookie

Apr 27, 2014
    Surrey
    Full Name:
    Rue
    Hi guys

I’m in the UK and my F40 needs tanks. It’s a Euro car. Well they are the original bags and there are no issues with them but they are well overdue a change so I keep getting told I should change them.

The car is Classiche and would be great to keep it that way.

Are there any other options out there apart from genuine Ferrari bags? The cost is crazy. Some people say Ali tanks, but a lot of people are saying they are not good. I would also lose the classiche.

Cheers

10. rmolke85

rmolke85 Formula Junior

Mar 11, 2013

Evidently using non Ferrari bags does not lose your classiche but I would like that clarified.

J.K.P likes this.
  11. Red Sled

Red Sled Formula Junior

This may be out of date but when my car was Classiche'd in 2010 the receipt showing the installation of the tank with the serial numbers of the Aero Sekur (OEM) tanks and my chassis number was requested. It is unlikely however that it was physically checked given the disassembly required.

Do you have different info?

12. ODK

ODK Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 10, 2014
    Los Angeles
    I installed ATL bladders when car was purchased...car had its classiche inspection about 4 months after that...no issue on classiche at all.

ODK

13. Telaio

Telaio Karting

Jan 11, 2006
    UK
    Full Name:
    Kevin O'Rourke
    Hi Warren, many thanks for your enquiry which I just stumbled across, please be advised that since Tim's project we have equipped 4 other F40s with Alloy tanks .......... please know that due to the varied build quality of the cars we only supply the tanks if we fit them. As we have all the necessary skills in house, we can make any necessary mods needed to ensure an excellent fit during our fitting process, also be advised it is vital that you change the fuel lines and fittings at the same time !! Hope this helps, cheers and kindest regards, Kev.

14. Warren Brown

Warren Brown Karting

Sep 5, 2010
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Warren Brown
    Hi Kev, thanks for getting back to me. Can’t see the car getting back to the uk so I guess that rules out an ally tank fitment by your good selves.
    I think I’m not the only inquiry from Oz so I guess we’ll have to stay with bags out here.
    Cheers, Warren

15. Birel

Birel Formula 3

Sep 12, 2005
    Brisbane
    Full Name:
    Andrew Turner
    Bell Classics in UK are seen to be marketing an all alloy foam filled replacement F40 tanks solution.

16. ProvaF1

ProvaF1 Karting

Nov 23, 2006
    Australia
    Thanks, we ended up with new bladders in case we decide to go down the Classiche route.

17. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    sorry for the delayed response !

how much would a set of these cost?

btw, how much do any of the tanks cost these days?
    oem bags, non-oem bags, aluminum tanks, other rigid tanks etc??

18. fbrs2

fbrs2 Formula Junior

Sep 7, 2012
    UK
    Willans supplied FIA FT3 rated bags, fuel pumps, filters, regulators, foam, sender... and all hoses, clips, gaskets washers and fittings (essentially everything in between the fuel filler cap and fuel rail) for 6.5k gbp inc vat.
    Docking Engineering built us beautiful bespoke ally holding tanks for 1.8k gbp inc (open topped for bag replacement but 5/6 of a fuel tank...)
    Both did a beautiful job, no problems 2 years in.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

19. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    wow, thanks for this answer and the pics.
    i like the cheaper option !
    how long does it take them make a set? my car is in the uk for another week before it gets shipped to the usa, so i could buy these now and have them accompany the car in the container, and then have them installed once they arrive.

can you give me the contact details so i can follow this up directly?

20. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    wow, thanks for this answer and the pics.
    i like the cheaper option !
    how long does it take them make a set? my car is in the uk for another week before it gets shipped to the usa, so i could buy these now and have them accompany the car in the container, and then have them installed once they arrive.

can you give me the contact details so i can follow this up directly?

21. fbrs2

fbrs2 Formula Junior

Sep 7, 2012
    UK
    Sorry I didn't deal with either company directly. I'm almost certain you won't get the bags in a week, pretty sure they are made to order.

For what it's worth I think it makes much more sense to get them supplied and fitted once you're back in the States. In the event you have any problems having a UK supplier and US installer is going to be a pain.

joe sackey likes this.
  22. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    i may be trying to find something that doesnt exist.....
    i have read this thread multiple times in an effort to understand the issue more completely though.
    i do not care about classiche

i have a '90 euro car that is now in the usa. the tanks and all of the lines/unions have been reviewed by houghton's prior departure, and now at driver source in houston after arrival, and both have been deemed in good order and roadworthy, however i am contemplating replacing everything just because they are the originals and therefore 30 years old.

when i make the change, i do not want to have to do it again in a few years, so the fixed tank (non-bag) option sounded good. however, i have also been told that the first thing to perish is usually the foam inside these tanks, and that it then fouls the whole system.

so the questions are multiple:
    - is there a fixed tank that can fit my euro car that is not oem USA version?
    - can i buy that tank from one of the UK manufacturers now that my car is stateside?
    - is there such a thing as a fixed tank to fit my euro car that does NOT contain foam?
    - am i mistaken about the whole notion and should just fit new bags and hoses ?
    - i see a few alternatives to the oem bags, but do they fit into the oem support frames?
    - what is the benefit of replacing the bag support unit at all ? the pics posted above are are great, but necessary for a non-racing car?

23. rmolke85

rmolke85 Formula Junior

Mar 11, 2013
    Just get a set of ATL bags and have a shop with serious F40 engine experience go through the whole fuel system while getting them installed.

BOKE likes this.
  24. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    actually i think you are right.

have asked ATL for a quote.....pretty steep at $10k for the set and the hardware, but then again there may not be anything cheaper.