F40 Historians? Anybody have details on this car? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

F40 Historians? Anybody have details on this car?

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by jimpo1, Jan 6, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    WOW nice scoop! Thanks for the preview...will that particular issue of the magazine be available?
    ch

2. writerguy

writerguy F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2003
    NewRotic
    Full Name:
    Otto
    end of the month www.texasdrivermagazine.com

3. Ferrari_nr1

Ferrari_nr1 Karting

Nov 16, 2003
    Belgium
    It also has different mirrors.

4. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    and 73015 had no mirrors! Less drag...
    ch

5. writerguy

writerguy F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2003
    NewRotic
    Full Name:
    Otto
    #30 writerguy, Aug 2, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  6. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Jim thank you, that shows it very clearly. - more than mere words could ever show.
    ch

7. SefacHotRodder

SefacHotRodder F1 World Champ

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris

i don't see it and its the end of the month :(

8. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    On one example I have seen the background rectangle of the word 'FERRARI' is painted red which makes the silver letters stand out even more.
    ch

9. wrathracer

wrathracer Rookie

Apr 30, 2004
    There is only 1 F40 prototype that was made. It will be on display Friday Aug. 13th at the Concorso Italiano Show in CA.

The weight is much less, the horsepower is far greater and the build is far more F1 race car type than anyone can imagine.

The car has aprox. 275 original KM on it and with the original tires. Read the next issue of Texas Driver Magazine and will you be further updated on the history of the car, ownership, horsepower, weight, serial number etc...

This car was Enzo's.

10. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    The F40 started as a detuned race car. Gerhard Berger drove the 1987 F40 development cars. Speaking of the F40 engine he stated that "the engine is now tuned for everyday use." He indicated that he had driven a lot of F40 prototypes and "the early engines were much more malicious." Beyond 3500rpm, there is such an adundance of power and torque that power oversteer is instantly available. Finally Berger observed that "it is nearly an act of provocation to offer a car with so much power and so little weight to an ordinary driver." Gerhard Berger enjoyed the "company cars" so much he got his own 1988 F40.
    ch

11. wrathracer

wrathracer Rookie

Apr 30, 2004
    According to Ferrari Factory there was only one Prototype (F40) built. Read Texas Driver Mag next issue and get the facts.

12. SefacHotRodder

SefacHotRodder F1 World Champ

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris

I know for a fact there were more. This thread has proved that.

13. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Can anyone who saw this F40 in California comment on what they saw? Thank you.
    ch

14. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    It will be interesting to see what comes out of this, I believe F40 s/n 74047 has a significant racing history, and it's s/n predates the car in this discussion. In my mind, that means there was more than one. IIRC, another thread indicated something like 7 prototype cars were made.

15. writerguy

writerguy F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2003
    NewRotic
    Full Name:
    Otto
    My understanding is the "Prototypes" you mention are the GTO Evolution that is often confused for the F 40. the Evolution was in many ways a test mule. THis is often the case as people look at it and see the lines as an F 40 but to everything we have found it is the only F 40 Prototype made and is the car we have been discussing. Re mileage and odo readings I have been told that the speedo was swapped out when it left the galleria because the one that was on display didn't have and odometer, or it was not hooked up or was rolled back by ferrari so the photos of the car would show 0000 not the actual test miles the car underwent.

16. Boxer 512

Boxer 512 Formula Junior
    BANNED

May 5, 2004
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Seb King
    Guys,

Note from the ad in this thread, Mansell's car must have been a really early car......Has the Plexi Windows, (option I know), and Wing Mounted Mirrors, Not very good shoots of the rear window, but I'd take a guess that they have the larger slots in too....?

S/n 80022

http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29304

Regards,

Seb