F40 LM GTE | Page 2 | FerrariChat

F40 LM GTE

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by Tubi, Jan 13, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Jim Muise/ Texas Driver Mag. did a nice article on that one I think.

2. Tubi

Tubi Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2004
    Athens
    Full Name:
    Hari
    Having read about the LM GTE Evo 2, I decided to discuss some of the 'variants' of the F40 (LM, GTE, etc) with Roland Linder who very kindly took provided me with the following info which i thought i'd share for the benefit of everyone!

Thanks a million Roland....

I posted the following in the 'showroom' section

There is also an LM GTE Evo 2 which does not have a sequential box (but instead a quick shift gear lever) fitted with a 3.6 liter motor producing 720 hp and an ungodly amount of torque for racing and larger BHP.

So there is the F40, F40 LM, F40 LM GTE and F40 LM GTE Evo 2?? - is this right? Found a couple of sites with good info on them too:

http://www.ferraris-online.com/cars/84503/84503a.html
    http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/267102

is this correct?? was there an evo 2 variant aswell?

Roland's Reply:

Howdy Hari, The car that we see here is for sure Benny's car. I know, because we took a mold of the LM nose to make mine. It's for sure a GTE but I never heard about a stage two ?? That car had, when it came from Michelotto, the sequential gear box, than Benny changed it for a regular box and now it's back to the original gear box. the car is lighter than my "regular"LM by 300lbs and has the huge carbon rotors (same as mine in steel). HP, is higher because the increase of displacement but the torque part is what made the difference. I can get (almost) the same hp by playing with the boost.
    The electronics is more sophisticate ( 4 years #)and more down force withn the floor. I did make a aero change on mine with some carbon addition to stay in touch with all the available up grades.
    Like always, a factory evolution will beat the previous model. It's just a question of $.
    Take care, I hope that this helps you a little. Don't hesitate to contact me anytime.
    Roland e Linder

Nmdirtguy likes this.
  3. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    My dream GTE would be street legal too. Would love to go buy a baguette with it saturday 8am..damm...one day :)

4. gtofreak

gtofreak Karting

Nov 5, 2004
    Bonaire, N.A.
    Seven F40 GTs were built by Michelotto in 1993, all described as F40 CSAI-GT cars. All featured 590 bhp, Brembo brakes, lighter carbon fiber bodies (1’050 kgs), a racing uni-ball suspension, quick fill fuel system, flat fours with cooling ducts for the engine, rear brakes and transmission, a fire system, plexi glass sliding windows, wider Speedline wheels, ride height dropped 5 cm.

CHASSIS# OWNERSHIP HISTORY
    74047 Luca Sartori (I) - Rosso Corsa/Giorgio Schön (I)
    79922 Santiago Puig (E)
    80742 Jolly Club (I) - Marco Brand (I) - Team Taisan (JAP)
    84642 Charles Pozzi SA (F), sold to England
    88203 Tubi Style (JAP) - Chikara (JAP)
    90508 In Germany
    94362 Jolly Club (I) - Vittorio Colombo (I) - David Scaife (PA/USA)

The F40 LM was replaced by the F40 GTE (Gran Turismo Evoluzione) which was also built by Michelotto and fitted with carbon brakes and XTRAC sequential gearbox, using engines of up to 3.6 liter to find more torque (due to smaller restrictors imposed in 1996). There were seven cars built and they represent the ultimate evolution of the F40 series.

CHASSIS# MICHELOTTO# HISTORY
    74045 013 Pre-production prototype, to René Herzog (CH) - Michel Ferté (F) - to England
    82404 002 03/95 new to Scuderia Ennea (I) - still in Italy
    84503 006 05/11/1998 delivered to Alberto Pedretti's Wide World of Cars (USA)
    85015 004 05/1995 new to Alberto Pedretti's Wide World of Cars (USA)
    88779 005 04/1996 new to Scuderia Ennea (I) - sold to France
    90001 001 02/1995 new to Scuderia Ennea (I)
    94362 004 02/1995 new to Jolly Club (I) - Vittorio Colombo (I) - David Scaife (PA/USA)

5. tomgt

tomgt F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 22, 2004
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Tom Wiggers

Anyone recent photo's of 82404 and 90001? Saw them both racing back in 1996 (Spa 4hr BPR race) together with an other red F40 (non-GTE)

6. 360C

360C F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

HIGHLY unlikely as they have been at Michelotto in Italy for a fair while.
    I would love to see pictures too FWIW

7. tomgt

tomgt F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 22, 2004
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Tom Wiggers
    Maybe someone can contact Michelotto.

8. 360C

360C F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Quite possibly THE most unhelpful organisation on the planet. Anyone who has had dealings with them knows what I mean.

The GTE's are owned by a well known US race team owner and very good Michelotto customer. It isn't in their interests to release anything at all on those cars.

9. reflex

reflex Karting

Nov 11, 2003
    Brighton U.K
    They've been good to me.

10. 360C

360C F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Well there isn't too much positive comment that I know of at this end of the world........

11. millemiglia

millemiglia Formula Junior

Jan 14, 2003
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Full Name:
    Peter B.
    Not at this end either....

:mad: :mad: :mad:

12. tomgt

tomgt F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 22, 2004
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Tom Wiggers
    Which US raceteam owns them? Are they still yellow/blue?

13. Roland E Linder

Roland E Linder Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    COLORADO
    Full Name:
    Roland E Linder
    I have to second that,, They are very hard to release any info, I know that for a fact when we rebuild the LM..They kept many $ (deposit) for more than a year and got the money back with a note, like" no time, busy with 360".
    We found parts from all the different team who raced the BBR, for the rest, well pictures etc.. to duplicate what was missing.
    Roland
    F40LM

14. tomgt

tomgt F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 22, 2004
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Tom Wiggers
  15. reflex

reflex Karting

Nov 11, 2003
    Brighton U.K
    Roland,

Thats really strange.

Cristiano Michelotto phoned me today to help my current situation. But also to see how they can improve my car. He was very helpful telling me what has worked for them when racing F40s.

They also seem to carry a huge amount of stock, including body panels etc.

Maybe they have changed their company policy recently for the better!

16. 360C

360C F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

RISI. Cars are part of Risi's personal collection.

17. tomgt

tomgt F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 22, 2004
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Tom Wiggers
  18. GianPaolo

GianPaolo Formula Junior

Dec 4, 2004
    BENSONHURST
    Full Name:
    JohnPaul
    So how many exactly F40 GTE's came with the paddle shift??

19. 360C

360C F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

NONE if you mean F1 type paddles behind steering wheel.

The so called F40GTE Evo 2 had an English X-trac sequential transmission (& carbon brakes).
    S/N's 74045, 90001, 84503 and 82404 are examples of EVO 2's.

20. tomgt

tomgt F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 22, 2004
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Tom Wiggers
    Does anyone have buildsheets of Michelotto GTE's? If there are any.

21. GianPaolo

GianPaolo Formula Junior

Dec 4, 2004
    BENSONHURST
    Full Name:
    JohnPaul
    360C,
    That is why i asked the question because i saw it in this guy's post. So that means there were some built with a quick shift lever right?

22. 360C

360C F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

You can see photos of the 2 gearbox configurations on page one of this thread. The first car ( # 88779) is a bit of a mix of specifications. It has the GTE EVO 2 aerodynamics (wider rear wing is the most obvious); but retains the standard LM "dogbox" fitted to all LM/GT's. This is a 5 speed floorshift without syncro's. It is NOT a sequential gearbox and retains the conventional "H" pattern. This gearbox proved unreliable and was the cause of many DNF's.

The second gearbox configuration is shown in the second car pictured ( # 84503). This is the "full Monty" Evo 2 specification. This car now lives about 10mins from me and I have had the chance to have a very good look at it. There is also an LM here in Melbourne, so I have had the chance to compare both. The GTE Evo 2 has the "X Trac" sequential gearbox fitted and you can see the much longer gearlever in the pictures. This is a proper sequential box with a straight "up and down" shift pattern. Much faster and a little more reliable; but not perfect (also massively expensive). The EVO 2 has also got carbon brakes and the wider rear wing which you can both see in the photos.

If you want to learn about the F40 GTE and other versions, check this link:
    http://www.qv500.com/ferrarif40p10.htm

23. GianPaolo

GianPaolo Formula Junior

Dec 4, 2004
    BENSONHURST
    Full Name:
    JohnPaul
    360C,
    Thanks alot i finally know the true difference between the two models. I really like that 6spd sequntial gearbox.
    It could be made street legal right?

24. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes
    Street legal is one thing, street practical is another. I think both are impossible.

Real race cars are just so unfriendly to drive on streets, things like cooling, clutch operation and lifespan, engine mapping and behaviour, lighting, reduced steering lock for brake duct clearance, visibility, etc etc...never mind ride quality and clearance....

25. 360C

360C F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Never truer words spoken Phil. If I had the choice between crawling the 40kms to work on my hands and knees or driving my 360 Michelotto, I would choose the former! Unless you have driven a full blown race car (not a modified road car), you couldn't imagine how unsuited they are for the street.
    I wouldn't even attempt to drive it around the block, let alone any distance. Just manouvering it around the pits is a total nightmare.

To expand on a few things you touched on- Engine lifespan on the 360 N-GT is 5000km's and rebuild runs to approx 60,000 EURO. Carbon Clutch requires adjustment around 500km's (gearbox out) and a new one is approx 9,000 Euro. Fuel required is 105 Octane at 4.5mpg ($5 ltr). Sequential gearbox costs 36,000 Euro...........you get the idea
    ALL Michelotto prices BTW. I could only see the F40 Michelotto prices being higher again.