F40 luggage set | Page 4 | FerrariChat

F40 luggage set

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by CollectorMorry, Dec 7, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Gilles82

Gilles82 Formula Junior

Oct 14, 2009
    Maranello (Mo) Italy
  2. Tonysyri

Tonysyri Rookie

Jan 5, 2017
    Do you still have your F40 luggage set available?

3. Tonysyri

Tonysyri Rookie

Jan 5, 2017
    Does anybody have a complete 3 piece luggage set for an F40 for sale?

4. patknapp14

patknapp14 Karting

Aug 24, 2016
    Menasha, Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Patrick Knapp
    I have a beautiful 3 piece set of Schedoni Luggage for an F40. I will be posting it for sale in the classifieds section, but if anyone here is interested, please do not hesitate to PM me!

Thank you!

5. Continental AutoSports

Sponsor

Aug 22, 2006
    Hinsdale, IL
    Full Name:
    Bobby Williams / Parts Manager
    Pat @patknapp14 , old post I know...still have it?

6. patknapp14

patknapp14 Karting

Aug 24, 2016
    Menasha, Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Patrick Knapp
  7. Michael RPM

Michael RPM Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2002
    Oak Brook, IL
    Full Name:
    Michael Wogronic
    A friend of mine offered me a set recently. I should see if he still has it as it probably wouldn't be a bad investment.

Albert-LP likes this.
  8. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    where are mint sets trading? 5k USD?

9. tomgt

tomgt F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 22, 2004
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Tom Wiggers
    10y ago yes

10. mathewr

mathewr F1 Rookie
    Sponsor Rossa Subscribed

Dec 7, 2011
    Deep in the Heart of Texas
    Full Name:
    Ferrari Wheel Guru
    $15,000 asking now....

11. joe sackey

joe sackey Five Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    I believe that the original maker Schedoni will make you a brand new set of 3-piece F40 luggage with the car's chassis number embossed upon each piece, for less than that, and then you'll have a new set with the car's identity affixed upon it which will not have interior lining that flakes into powder.

12. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    #88 Albert-LP, Sep 19, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
    No, Joe: Schedoni cannot reproduce any set. They are produced under Ferrari license. The suitcases are "Ferrari by Schedoni" and not "Schedoni by Ferrari" and so they cannot be sold by Schedoni directly, you must buy them from Ferrari.

Nobody can put a prancing horse nor a Ferrari model name on anything unless they are Ferrari official products that Ferrari sells directly.

Any reproduction would lower the value of the original suitcase sets, so it would damage who has one (or many), like me: Ferrari legal office wouldn't be very happy to know that there is anyone that reproduces an official Ferrari set, whoever he is.

The set is rare, most of F40 produced hasn't it: almost 1000 cars produced lack it, the F40 is a very important car so its luggage set prices are high.

ciao

13. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    good to know!

14. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Yes, Alberto, Schedoni can & will reproduce F40 luggage and sell either via Ferrari or directly to the client, complete with Ferrari & F40 logos, they are so authorized to do so as official concessionaires.

I have had this done myself for F40 85596.

My client has had this done for F40 87400 (below) recently.

An FChatter has done this https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/f40-luggage.367306/

The reason some people requested Schedoni to remake the luggage is they didn't want luggage with the name of the first owner on it, instead they opted to have the VIN number of the car placed upon it

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Camelot and VPX like this.
  15. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani

Joe, I think you are doing some confusion between "re-making a damaged set you own" and "build a new set for anyone that don't have one."

ciao

16. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    No, I am not confusing anything, we simply contacted Schedoni and they were happy to make a set for a car that never had luggage, this has been done multiple times by myself and a number of clients, as has been done by FChatter Ross as shown in the link above, the sets came with official Ferrari and F40 logos.

VPX likes this.
  17. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    #93 Albert-LP, Sep 20, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2019

He cannot, he is not allowed to. This is official. He won't do any in the future.

Several years ago, I suppose. Now they cannot anymore: maybe once Ferrari "closed an eye", but this is impossible today. This is my opinion, I don't know facts.

I have no Idea how this could have happened: Ferrari doesn't allow that. I don't know facts.

I read in the thread linked that this happened 8 years ago (order made in 2011), I can undestand that (maybe) at the time a thing like that could happen. This is my opinion, I don't know facts.

Yes, Schedoni can modify, repair, fixing, change the owner label, print the chassis number, rebuild the interior or the exterior of a suitcase or a set you have, with the prancing horse and so on. It's a service or a full restore, they are allowed to do that (of course).

I think this an obvious think you should know by yourself: Ferrari brand is trademark and nobody can use it without its permission. You are a vintage car trader, it should be obvious for you. Otherwise Schedoni would open an online shop with all the vintage sets for sale...

Yes, could be that in the past Schedoni, to help some “friend”, did something he had better don’t do: never saw that nor known in person, but I read here what you wrote and that’s the only explanation I have for that. This is my opinion, I don't know facts.

But he won’t do it again in the future, this is “official”.

I visited this morning Mr. Mauro Schedoni at his shop (we are friend), and he told me this:

“We aren’t allowed to reproduce any vintage set: we won’t reproduce any vintage set. But we can fix every set, not quickly but just when we have some time to do that. Please note that the Sahara color interior lining is no more available so we cannot fix it as the original set was”

Mauro greets all the forum members and will welcome anyone who would like to visit his shop.

ciao

Above: Mauro at the cutting machine. I took this picture this morning, September 20, 2019, 10.56 AM CET

Above: Mauro's "customized" cutting machine. I took this picture this morning, September 20, 2019, 11.22 AM CET

Above: F40 official luggage set poster hanging at Schedoni shop.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Mauro Schedoni last July, showing a copy of the Japanese "Scuderia" Magazine, at Schedoni shop

Simone Schedoni (left), me (mid) and Mauro Schedoni (right) last July, Schedoni shop. Me and Mauro are showing a copy of the Japanese "Scuderia" Magazine talking of me and of my Schedoni collection.

Camelot likes this.
  18. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    On that note, let's move on.

As far as I'm concerned, despite all the aforementioned 'official' claims, a VIP Ferrari customer who happens to own an F40 can still induce manufacture of the 3-piece luggage if desired as already proven, as with all things, if you have the right connections and sufficient means it can happen.

VetroresinaNL likes this.
  19. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    #95 Albert-LP, Sep 23, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2019
    In my opinion, you are not allowed to write his on a public forum: I forwarded Mr. Simone Schedoni this discussion. I already wrote what I know about that, so there is not anything to add.

But le me say that I'm quite disappointed to read here that your tip for F4o owners is "to have one reproduced".

What, are you suggesting reproductions? The period correct sand color dust covers are no more available and cannot be reproduced, the same for the Sahara interior lining. The result is that some of your customers now have a luggage set (very expensive, I suppose) that any Schedoni expert can say as a "not period correct set", as it has the wrong dust covers (the light yellow ones) and different interiors.

This is very strange as usually an expert consultant tells you to go for original items and not reproductions.

Only my personal opinion, of course.

ciao

tomgt likes this.
  20. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Oh do relax Alberto.

The 2 main reasons why F40 owners have sought brand new luggage is firstly, many of the original sets had the original owner's name embossed upon the luggage, and many people don't want to own luggage with someone else's name and prefer to have the car's chassis number instead, secondly, the original luggage sets used poorly-treated Sahara lining that completely perishes and turns into powder destroying anything paced in the luggage, the new sets have nice leather lining, much better.

If I bought another F40 which did not come with luggage, I would absolutely have a set made up by Schedoni, with the car's chassis number embossed, but in dark brown leather - see below- or perhaps even in red leather, Schedoni has done them in black leather as well.

People upgrade their cars using new & improved components from the original maker, all the time, this is nothing new.

By the way I'm allowed to write whatever I want on a public forum, especially when its a report of facts that actually happened as my posts above prove

VetroresinaNL likes this.
  21. tomgt

tomgt F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 22, 2004
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Tom Wiggers
    Not all F40 luggage were embossed with the owners name.
    My set came without. Owner had two sets with his car, one with his name and one without.
    If someone is interested in this set, pm me

22. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Correct.

I've seen original sets with no leather ID tag riveted on at all, with the original owner's name (most popular), and with the car's chassis number (rare).

23. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    The set didn't come with the owner's name: it was added just under request, as standard all sets were all without it (F40 or not). Everyone (with every model car set) could ask for some inscription.

Here below a 308 set customized by Schedoni, a specific request of the owner

ciao

24. VetroresinaNL

VetroresinaNL Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 25, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Vetroresina
    Sort of the same with the Schedoni leather pouches, although I have never seen a pouch with the car's chassis number.