F40 Modifications | FerrariChat

F40 Modifications

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by Rossocorsa1, Dec 29, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    I should start this thread with total transparency - I’m an unapologetic purist. Which is why I bemoan the amount of F40’s I see that are commonly modified, particularly exhaust systems. Of course, owners have every right to do as they wish with their private property, but why are F40 mods so common? Does it just seem that way simply because there were so many more produced compared to its other supercar counterparts? I seriously would like to understand this better. I get why people modify their Ferrari’s, though I personally don’t care for any of it, but I especially feel the supercar class should remain as intended by the factory (shortcomings and all). Would love to hear other opinions.

2. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    in the USA putting a tubi on is a must. because my car is platinum winner ive left the oem box on, but if you are going to drive it freeing up the exhaust is a no brainer for efficiency, extra hp, and sound. i do not consider an f40 with a tubi as being modified.
    LM builds are also very cool if you ask me.

3. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    an F40 without a tubi doesnt sound so great.
    an f40 with original brakes does not stop so well.
    and f40 with oem turbos vs LM turbos is not as fast.

its just a matter of wanting the car to work better imo.

tres55, rampante550, Jakuzzi and 4 others like this.
  4. rmolke85

rmolke85 Formula Junior

Mar 11, 2013
    Euro cars with no cats sound great, these cars are plenty fast as-is and rebuilt brakes with modern pad and fluids will do JUST fine. Leave em stock for me.

Rossocorsa1 likes this.
  5. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    I agree. I appreciate why people choose to modify cars but I think they lose part (in some cases a lot) if their real passion. Certainly, there are many modern options that can be applied to classic and vintage cars that would improve their performance capabilities, such as brakes, etc. But, I still believe these great machines should be maintained as intended by the factory, even when OE is inferior compared to modern standards. These cars should be representative of the era in which they dominated.

6. theunissenguido

theunissenguido Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
    and F40 with OEM fuseboard with often strike....
    Guido

Jakuzzi likes this.
  7. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    mine is a euro, and it may have sounded fine to begin with but now it sounds better.
    and if the rest of it was so good, then why did Michelotto offer parts, in period, to make it work better?

we are not talking about putting fuel injection on a 275gtb.....we are talking about putting better parts on a car that were offered when the car was still being built.

but to each his own.

jferrante, Jakuzzi and chrixxx like this.
  8. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    When I look at the other Ferrari supercars, I rarely (in fact, I can’t recall ever) see one modified. I’m sure there are exceptions (there always are) but they’re certainly very few and far between. I’m guessing, because of the production numbers of the F40, it made financial sense for third party providers to develop mods to offer to the ownership community (Tubi, for example).

9. George Vosburgh

George Vosburgh F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

I completely agree, not to mention that modifying an F40 would be damaging an expensive investment.

10. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
  11. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
  12. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Modified f40s trade the same as stock onesZ having a tubi on an f40 Doesnt make it cheaper by any means. Most f40s don’t have aftermarket brakes.

13. joe sackey

joe sackey Five Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    As a professional who trades these cars for a living I can assure you that statement is inaccurate.

14. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Weren’t the f40 brakes decent anyways? I have seen TRs upgraded with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Oh really? How much less does a car trade for if it has a tubi? Everything else being the same.

16. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    I would agree. While I think this pertains to all Ferrari’s, it’s especially true for the supercars. I think, because of their significance as the flagship cars during their respective eras, unmolested examples really stand out to the most discerning buyers.

17. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    They are excellent, if you know how to use them, when you start driving gently apply your left foot on the brakes for the first couple of miles to get them warm, not only does the squeaking go away but then they can stop the car better than the brakes of pedestrian machinery around you so be careful, as with a race car, you have to stamp on them with deliberation and then they are super-effective.

Dario Benuzzi can shed light ion this.

None of my F40s gave me any braking concerns whatsoever with much road use.

IMO people complain about them because they want to find excuses for modding their car, or haven't found out how they are supposed to be used.

Of course a person is free to mod their property to their heart's content, but I prefer to take the position of the saying that a good worker never blames his tools ;)

Sorry, I see you mean only the Tubi mod as opposed to modifications in general, if a Tubi-ied F40 comes wth the original exhaust there is no value difference.

Correct, buyers generally do not want all the mods people have done done to brakes, suspension, fuel systems etc over the years, in fact many cars are having these reversed.

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  18. 275GTB

275GTB Formula 3

Jan 12, 2010
    London
    Full Name:
    Mark McCracken
    a lot of F40's with aftermarket exhaust come with the original all boxed up, if not it's no big deal they are regularly available used on ebay for around £2000. I bought one last year, and seen several offered cheaper than i paid since. Also have a friend that bought a brand new original OEM exhaust from Maranello, not cheap but not that expensive given it was new - from memory he paid £4800

joe sackey and Rossocorsa1 like this.
  19. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    That’s good to know they are still available from the factory.

joe sackey likes this.
  20. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    Is the case for modifying the exhaust with a Tubi mainly about sound? Naturally, that’s a personal taste issue. I actually like the fact that the F40 stock sound is unique. While some cars may sound better, the F40 (and the 288) defiantly resonate differently due to their revolutionary power plants, which it should. It seems that aftermarket exhaust systems destroy that unique sound.

21. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Thanks! Very informative! I can only hope and wish I am one day fortunate enough to drive one let alone own one!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

joe sackey likes this.
  22. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Correct, and, as with the GTO is you remove the restriction you can entertain the people following you with a flame-throwing display.

23. 275GTB

275GTB Formula 3

Jan 12, 2010
    London
    Full Name:
    Mark McCracken
    BOKE likes this.
  24. 275GTB

275GTB Formula 3

Jan 12, 2010
    London
    Full Name:
    Mark McCracken
    And the reason I look so happy in the picture, here are the before pictures.....I spent 2 days hand polishing it, to return it to its former glory.

I was slightly excited and amazed by the outcome, so much so that’s me running into the bedroom to show the wife, she was less amused and wondered where I had been for 2 days Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

25. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    Very nice, but I still would stick with stock.