F40 or Enzo Ferrari and why | Page 2 | FerrariChat

F40 or Enzo Ferrari and why

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by Italiab872, Sep 2, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

F40 or Enzo Ferrari

Poll closed Apr 2, 2019.
  1. F40

90 vote(s)
    61.6%
  2. Enzo Ferrari

56 vote(s)
    38.4%
  1. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    Tough call, but the Enzo gets my vote. The cars design, the doors, the insane bark at ignition, the ferocious roar,..... I could go on. Certainly I could say similar things about the F40 as well, but the Enzo is just a bit more incredible to me.

bonneau13 and Dave rocks like this.
  2. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Quite the opposite to what I have been told by expert drivers. Also, the F40 as ferocious as it is, didn't impress me on the track. Explosive, yes, but rough around the edges. So-so brakes, understeer on entry, oversteer on exit, too much lag.

3. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    12 cylinders will always be more special to me - even though for a modern car I made the move from V12 to turbocharged...

4. BarryK

BarryK Formula 3

Dec 17, 2016
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Barry K
    Not if it is driven properly :)

5. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Well, you can remedy understeer by following the old adage of "slow in, fast out". There is little you can do regarding oversteer when the turbos kick in, other than to accelerate only in a straight line, leaving a lot of time on the table.

6. joe sackey

joe sackey Five Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Really?

I wonder how all those turbocharged cars have won all those races against normally-aspirated cars then :rolleyes:

Rifledriver, Jakuzzi and Bundy like this.
  7. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Were all of them road legal F40s with erratic on-boost behaviour?

8. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey

No but the F40's on-boost characteristics are similar to those of a 90s Le Mans-winning race car, fierce but controllable power-delivery, which can be used to good effect, including in the corners.

My experience with 3 different road-legal F40s I have owned and driven extensively over the last few decades is, the on-boost behaviour is quite predictable and not erratic at all.

Rifledriver, BarryK and Bundy like this.
  9. BarryK

BarryK Formula 3

Dec 17, 2016
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Barry K
    You are getting confused between the chassis' underlying understeer/oversteer characteristics and what happens if you don't drive it correctly by managing gears/revs/throttle (and therefore boost) through curves.

The chassis is set up with mild initial understeer just like many other Ferrari supercars, and for good reason. If you induce oversteer mid-bend through boost, your own fault.

So, the old adage slow in, fast out could be replaced by "a bad workman blames his tools" :)

Rifledriver likes this.
  10. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    i love the F40.
    but if i have a liquidity event, i would be very tempted to get an enzo.
    BUT, they are now about the same price as a zonda, and i would have a zonda over every and any other car out there, other than a hyuara

JAM1 and Boomhauer like this.
  11. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    I am not confusing the two things. I am pointing out that by modern Ferrari standards, the F40 is a bit wayward.

12. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Irrelevant because the F40 was launched 31 years ago, so the comparison by modern Ferrari standards is redundant.

That said, based on my personal extensive F40 ownership experience and the consideration of that of many other owners, the F40 cannot be accurately or intelligently described as a bit wayward when compared with 80s or 90s sports cars, and even when compared with contemporary sports cars. Potent & explosive, yes, wayward, no. It's a road-rocket that simply takes a skilled driver to master, therein lies it's appeal.

Rifledriver likes this.
  13. JAM1

JAM1 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    FL, NY, and MA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    My preference would be the F40. Having driven both cars it’s the one that struck me as truly special. It was an event to drive and it’s one of the only cars I’ve ever really lusted after.

The point you bring up about price is also a major issue for the Enzo. At that range doors open to some incredible options such as a Zonda or Koenigsegg. For me, that pushes the Enzo even further down the list. In fact, I’d opt for an LM before an Enzo.

ross and joe sackey like this.
  14. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    You had me at, Zonda

Sent from my 16M

BaronM69 likes this.
  15. RedRacer

RedRacer Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 20, 2006
    USA
    Full Name:
    Redracer
    I drove my F40. I sold my F40. My Enzo is an entirely different beast. Two completely different cars. Both beautiful in their own respect. I prefer the Enzo for driving, looks, and collectibility. I am a fan of paddle shift, having raced paddle shift cars for the last 3 years. From an economic collectibility standpoint, Enzo should rise fast in value versus the F40. Enzo also has slighter better clearance, from my own experience, including the lift function. This is a good problem to have, to choose one or the other. Cheers!

Boomhauer and REALZEUS like this.
  16. Jakuzzi

Jakuzzi Formula 3

Mar 26, 2005
    PR, TX, GV
    Full Name:
    Jaime
    F40, it is a better Ferrari.

17. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Objectively speaking, it 's the opposite way. The Enzo is better in every measurable criterion.

bonneau13 likes this.
  18. Jakuzzi

Jakuzzi Formula 3

Mar 26, 2005
    PR, TX, GV
    Full Name:
    Jaime
    With a Ferrari, you go with your heart, not the brain :)

19. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    For sure the heart wants what the heart wants, I am 100% with you on this one. I was just replying to the "better Ferrari" comment.

bonneau13 and Jakuzzi like this.
  20. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    F40 by a mile.
    Enzo is neat and more modern but so is a 458.
    F40 is iconic and insane.
    LOL at Enzo values but is what it is.

21. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    I am wondering if all people who revere the F40 have actually driven it...

bonneau13 likes this.
  22. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    rmolke85 and Twosherpaz like this.
  23. Twosherpaz

Twosherpaz Formula Junior

Feb 25, 2014
    Thermal, CA
    Full Name:
    Private
    GSF355, barra, Makuono and 3 others like this.
  24. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    F40, as it was introduced by Enzo Ferrari himself and the production started when he was still alive. I don't want any Ferrari introduced after 1988.

ciao

25. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Enzo Ferrari would disagree with you, as his motto was that the best Ferrari is the next one!!!

bonneau13 and Rossocorsa1 like this.