F40 or Enzo Ferrari and why | Page 3 | FerrariChat

F40 or Enzo Ferrari and why

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by Italiab872, Sep 2, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

F40 or Enzo Ferrari

Poll closed Apr 2, 2019.
  1. F40

90 vote(s)
    61.6%
  2. Enzo Ferrari

56 vote(s)
    38.4%
  1. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    I just answered the opening question, that is "Do you prefer F40 or Enzo? and why?": I wrote which and why.

ciao

2. BarryK

BarryK Formula 3

Dec 17, 2016
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Barry K
    Actually the quote is:
    [On which Ferrari model he liked the most] "That which is yet to be built.
    The car which I have not yet created."

Even he would hardly argue that the 348 was the best car when it was the next one launched!

That he might have preferred F40 over Enzo is by no means inconsistent with what he actually said.

3. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Indeed that was the exact quote, but the meaning is the same. The more evolved car is the one he liked more.

4. BarryK

BarryK Formula 3

Dec 17, 2016
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Barry K
    No. It is obviously not the same. Being a shrewd salesman, all he said is that the best car is yet to come. He says nothing about whether a newer car is better than an older one. So the next car could be a dog yet the best car is still coming.

Rifledriver, Albert-LP and joe sackey like this.
  5. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    Who cares? Some like older cars some like newer.

Boomhauer likes this.
  6. Tenney

Tenney F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2001
    Maybe Enzo would for the Enzo because he's Enzo? Jimmy Two Times would vote for the La Ferrari because it's named in honor of himself (and Sirhan and Boutrous), except that it's not an option in this poll ...

7. JackCongo

JackCongo Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 22, 2006
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    Well, I own a f40 together with quite a few special Fcars, and when I am asked which one I prefer, I cannot respond but always think that the F40 would be the last one I could get rid of....
    Just my two cents...
    Jacques

Christian.Fr and redwood like this.
  8. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    I respect your opinion. It didn 't like it on the track though. Explosive, yes, but not as well sorted as more modern cars.

9. rmolke85

rmolke85 Formula Junior

Mar 11, 2013

How well sorted was the F40 is another question? Thats most important with any early era supercar. Its very obvious a new one will be better sorted.

10. bonneau13

bonneau13 Karting

Oct 18, 2009
    California
    Is this a troll? The Enzo has aged like the finest wines, it’s absolutely more breathtaking with time.

BaronM69, pshep138 and REALZEUS like this.
  11. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    That is the whole point.

12. BarryK

BarryK Formula 3

Dec 17, 2016
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Barry K
    While this point has already been discussed above from post 27 , I'd say an F40 feels pretty well sorted in the hands of a competent driver.

Rifledriver and redwood like this.
  13. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    It’s all relative. For its time the F40 was mind blowing from a performance stand point. Comparing it to cars of a later generation isn’t an appropriate gauge.

Rifledriver likes this.
  14. pshep138

pshep138 Formula 3

Apr 20, 2013
    The Midwest
    Enzo, six times a week, then twice on Sundays. Better looking (IMO), far rarer, and that V12 is, to me, a masterpiece.

15. fbrs2

fbrs2 Formula Junior

Sep 7, 2012
    UK
    It doesn't matter in the slightest of course but I completely disagree. I thought the Enzo looked weird and ungainly at launch and it's got worse with time. The front and back appear to have been designed by two different people and where as the F50 rises majestically to that rear wing the Enzo slopes away apologetically and just disappears. Agree about that angry V12 though!

redwood likes this.
  16. redwood

redwood Karting

Apr 30, 2018
    Brisbane and Edinburgh
    Apples are better than oranges.

Discuss. :)

fbrs2 and Twosherpaz like this.
  17. skierlawyer

skierlawyer Formula Junior

Sep 12, 2010
    Golden, CO
    Full Name:
    Brian
    I want an F40 more than I want any other thing on the planet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MM355 likes this.
  18. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    which do you prefer - posing or driving?

JAM1 likes this.
  19. joe sackey

joe sackey Five Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    There are some spectacular examples available, we sold 2 of them this month to people who feel the same as you do.

20. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Joe can you tell us the sale range of an F40 in today’s market?
    I’ve often thought of trading all my cars for one but need to probably find and count more change in my couch.

Sent from my 16M

21. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    That would be helpful for me too - I am considering an F40 at some point over the next 6-24 months. I want to use it (2k pa) and keep for my own collection. I want a Euro spec car for the UK so I realise the market in the US is different but any knowledge from someone involved in trading them is very helpful research. For example, the relative values of non cat, non adjust cars to non adjust only or cat and adjust cars, plus the real difference in usability on the road? Also, how much does mileage influence values? Classiche is important for me, but how much does stuff like the lack of visible weave make a difference?

It might sound odd to consider values for a car I will keep but it is important to me not to burn cash heavily if that can be avoided and a bit of knowledge would help to decide how much to pay and what sort of car suits me best. I also wonder about what happens if there is a downturn - more frequently traded types will be hit harder I presume, whereas the most valuable cars (pre 1990 and ultra low miles at a guess) would probably not be? Thanks for any help.

22. joe sackey

joe sackey Five Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Nice F40s anywhere from 1 to 1.5m, with the proviso that the market is always evolving.

You really have to assess what’s available when you are ready to buy.

23. Red Sled

Red Sled Formula Junior

I defer to experts like Joe on valuation but a few thoughts for consideration (I have no idea how familiar you are with the car, so apologies in advance if any of this already obvious):

1) As you are planning to drive say 10k over 5 yrs then I would imagine a relatively higher mile "driver" will more optimal with respect to depreciation if that is important. They are some very good 15-20k mile cars in the UK.

2) While early, non-cat, non-adjust cars are widely considered to be desirable and valued higher, at least in our pot holed and speed bump filled streets in the UK an adjustable car is very useful. Otherwise, you need plan your route quite carefully. I have had two cars spanning approx 15 years, and the non-adjust car has eaten quite a few spoilers over time. The adjustable shock ECU can be troublesome, but once sorted, they are reliable if used and parked correctly.

3) Non cat cars are often preferred for weight and sound reasons, but it is worth watching some emerging city centre regulations on non-cat cars, especially in Germany if you plan on continental tours.

4) Classiche: if this is important then you need a stock exhaust. Many (myself included) prefer an after market such as a tubi. With annual validation requirements for Claissche, it is a pain to maintain. The only reason I still have it is to be able to partake in certain Ferrari events for which a Classiche is a pre-requisite. Swapping exhausts for every inspection is also a pain as you need to tune the wastegate system each time afterwards for the change in back pressure.

5) Paint: The presence of weave is considered desirable but I personally do not place any reliance on it. Only a thorough check on both sides of a panel will suffice. Most panels can be inspected with the undertray off (which would be part of a PPI). Incidentally, it is much harder to cover up major damage to a panel on the inside because of the kevlar inner layer. I have also seen some restored panels which have been stripped and repainted with the same thin layer of paint as the original cars (approx 2l per car).which continue to display weave. Typically repainting with a "normal" amount paint leaves no weave. Finally, the body panels are not carbon fibre but sandwich of glass fibre/nomex honeycomb and kevlar. The weave is actually dimples from the way the material sets over the honeycomb layer. Many cars have been repainted purely for cosmetic reasons because the original paint yellows over time in some cases. I would say the presence of weave doesn't seem universal on all original F40s (assume manufacturing process/supplier related) whereas most F50s do.

6) Fire safety: if you are planning to drive the car as much as you say, then ensuring that the car is safe is perhaps more important than the cosmetics. The condition of the hoses, unions as well as tanks are critical. It is worth checking that if rubber parts etc have perished which could be the case in a low mile/irregular use car.Since I track regularly, I follow a somewhat anal safety regime - see post https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/posts/145313919 .

I am not in any sense an expert in the above, just basing these comments on my ownership experience. Good luck with your search.

24. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    F40 and Enzo are such completely different cars I cannot imagine anyone needing to make that choice. Its like asking to decide between a limousine and an SUV.

25. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall

I am sure not but I am also sure most who have driven it revere it.

BarryK likes this.