F40 or F50 | Page 2 | FerrariChat

F40 or F50

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by bostonmini, Jan 31, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. kenny

kenny Formula Junior

Nov 9, 2003
    Greenwich , CT
    Full Name:
    Kenny
    The F40 looks like a hastily put together boy racer kit car, but that's the car I still want :)

2. matkat

matkat Formula 3

Mar 18, 2003
    Scotland
    Full Name:
    Dave McGuire
    F50 for me

3. 96impalaSS

96impalaSS F1 Rookie

Dec 8, 2003
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Chris
    F50 for sure. It looks so much better, sounds so ****ing cool, the top comes off, and its N/A power is unbeatable.

All that being said, f40s are ****ing cool too. they will always be the basic supercar design, always be the illustration in the children's book about a fast car.

F40 is a built off a roadcar frame, and the f50 is a racecar. what else is there to be said? apples and oranges!

4. aawil

aawil Formula 3

Aug 10, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    I still live the F50 alittle bit better.Although I gained alot more respect for the F40 when I got to see and hear one in person.I think the F50 carbon fiber interior is a bit more pleasing to the eye then the F40's.I think they used a carbon/kevlar weave in the F40.

5. Roland E Linder

Roland E Linder Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    COLORADO
    Full Name:
    Roland E Linder
    Good point there ! Big difference between the 2 chassis. the stock F40 twist under track stress, that's why it took so much to make an LM...and I know what I'm talking about.
    Carbon tub cars are by FAR better but the F40 look is unique to me.
    Roland
    F40LM

6. shmark

shmark F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Amazing to me so many people love the F50. Yes it's more advanced, but it's a slab-sided, crosseyed mistake in the styling department. Definitely not one of Pininfarina's better efforts. The Enzo is a vast improvement. I'm sorry but the F50 design lacks visual balance in just about every aspect.

F40, no question!

Mark

7. Brian C. Stradale

Brian C. Stradale F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    Its amazing to me that there are people that have your opinion of the F50... and you're not alone, there are many... but it still amazes me. The F50 is stunningly gorgeous, beautiful and exotic curves, purposeful but elegant. It needs a wing for downforce, so they fully integrate that wing into the design... into the lines of the car.

The only negative I could come up with is that the F50 is not in the least bit subtle... but then a supercar really shouldn't be. When the 360 was announced, I instantly loved the design as it looked like a toned down, subtle version of the F50... many of the same lines, same curves, but without the deeply sculpted contours and the wing. Perfect non-supercar daily-driver for an F50 lover.

And it amazes me almost as much when I run into people who think the 360 is ugly. They exist... I can't deny it... but I can't explain it. ;)

8. enzoz

enzoz Karting

Nov 2, 2003
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Why? Because the F1 cars are na? A GT car like the 360 Modena isn't a single seater open-wheeled racer. It's fun to play like you're an F1 hero with F1 paddle shifters and a screaming engine and the like but it's not like na is the only way to go. Porsche seems to be doing quite well with their turbo charged road cars.

9. warren0420

warren0420 Karting

Dec 12, 2003
    Evansville, IN
    Full Name:
    Warren M. Rogers
    i posted as 96ImpalaSS earlier on accident, he was on my PC earlier i guess. So those thoughts about the F50 are really mine! (the last post of his)

The F50 is beautiful. It's one of the best looking Ferraris ever, in my opinion. Although I have a soft spot for the 250 TRs! But then, who doesnt?

Open top is a definite plus!

10. 96impalaSS

96impalaSS F1 Rookie

Dec 8, 2003
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Warren you dirty bastard you know i love the F40 more. Just wait till i see you tomorow.

11. l'esecuzioneItaliana

Jan 29, 2004
    F40. It has almost the same amount of power, vastly more torque, and it was the origional, less the 288. The F40 can keep up with and F50 and the turbo lag is minimal. Who wants wind in their hair and almost 200mph? Not me, talk about killing the ear drums. As far as I know, flies dont come in flavors. If I had the money, you would see an F40 in my stable.

12. The F50 is far superior to the F40 in every way.

13. 96impalaSS

96impalaSS F1 Rookie

Dec 8, 2003
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Chris
    In which ways are you refering to. And looks dont count.

14. TimN88

TimN88 F1 Veteran

Jun 12, 2001
    Northeast
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Hes refering to every way, man.

15. 96impalaSS

96impalaSS F1 Rookie

Dec 8, 2003
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Well then....I cant believe i even thought the F40 was faster. Im such a idiot.

16. shmark

shmark F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I know. I'm one of them. :) Seriously, the F50 is a phenomenal car and I would love to drive one, but the styling just doesn't have balance to my eye. The Enzo isn't beautiful either, but it's balanced and outrageous at the same time, with a much clearer stylistic link to F1. The F40 is simply the ultimate insanity update of the classic 308 lines, giving up a little beauty for sheer in-your-face looks.

The 360 looks too soft and I've never liked the twin front openings, just makes it look heavy. But the 360CS for some reason looks MUCH better to me, something about giving the design an "edge" I guess. The odd thing is that the styling changes on the CS are really minor. I do like the Hamann 360 a lot, and that Imola NGT version rocks.

My preferences run to the 308/512bb/512TR for the mid-engined cars ("edge"), 275/Lusso/550 for the front-engine cars (classic proportions).

Mark

17. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    I prefer the F50 over the F40 and Enzo.

I've stood and looked at all 3 in person at the same time. F50 distracts me to no end, planets align, all is well.

18. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    Intresting Thread my freinds.
    My .2cents, I have to go with the F40, it was the last super car ordered by its maker. It took all the cues of the Ferrari history and made the F40.
    Though the F50 is still great in all respects, and was an improved upon product and continues the F1 racing heritage, as the Enzo does today, None of these cars would be around if it wasn't for the PRODUCTION OF THE F40.

Hence the F40 wins my vote.

Though Enzo himself would have been proud of the F50...I think.

19. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    You again!?!?!?
    F50 is slower, so right off the bat you are talking out of your ass.

And as for cruising at 200 mph with the top off... Has anyone here flipped a convertable? No? Why? Because you would be toast! Yeah yeah the windshield is strong and all that but it doesn't take the place of a roof. A sunroof is as far as I go to topless.

20. DropGems

DropGems Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2003
    Atlantic City, NJ
    I'd have to drive them both before deciding.

21. F1racer

F1racer F1 Rookie

Oct 5, 2003
    Laval
    Full Name:
    Jean
    Okay here's what I think...

F50: Looks good , the rear wing goes perfectly with the design , the noise one of the best ever and oh yeah I'm someone who would drive this car with the top on most of the time. The F50 is faster and more rare.

F40: Beautiful car, the rear wing goes perfectly with the design too , the noise is awesome but is it as good as the F50? (hmm)
    With the F40 you could easily modified the twin turbo V8 compared to the F50 where the engine is so highly tuned so you have less room for improvement.

22. Brian C. Stradale

Brian C. Stradale F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    Well, there's a bunch of literature that says the F50 is faster than the F40. Can you point to literature that says otherwise? Do you have hard lap times to support your caustic assertion?

I'm not saying it doesn't exist... just I haven't seen it... whereas I have seen numbers that say the F50 is faster... including Ferrari's own (not that we can trust Ferrari's numbers; just that they are "official").

23. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    I thought stock F50 had quicker lap times than stock street F40

24. F1racer

F1racer F1 Rookie

Oct 5, 2003
    Laval
    Full Name:
    Jean
    Did you see the Best Motoring video comparing the F50 vs F40 vs Diablo vs GT2...etc
    Anyway the F50 won.
    And in every article talking about the F50 , they say the F50 is faster.

Read this :
    talking about the F50...

'' It runs faster than the F40 on race tracks, thanks to a better chassis, but slower at mid-range acceleration than the 425 ft-lb."
    At the end he said " In the real world, a F40 without midifications, the F50 is far faster"

I got some numbers here :
    F50: 0-60 mph: 3.6 sec (road & track)
    1/4 mile: 12.1 @ 124.5 mph

F40: 0-60 mph: 3.8 sec (road & track)
    1/4 mile: 11.8 sec @ 124.5 mph

25. detltu

detltu Karting

Nov 2, 2003
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Full Name:
    David Taylor
    Enzo please

If your giving them away I will take an F50 cause open top ferraris are the shizzle

If I'm buying I'll take an F40 cause there are lots more to choose from and can find one a little cheaper.

I dig them both though.

Oh and I'll take a 288 GTO as well
    thanks drive through to the next window.