F40 Photos | Page 112 | FerrariChat

F40 Photos

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by TexasMike, Mar 5, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rmolke85

rmolke85 Formula Junior

Mar 11, 2013
    https://www.dupontregistry.com/autos/results/ferrari/f40/all/?zipcode=19110&distance=50

These early cars seem to command some descent level of premium. Asking $2.2 with known ownership and indicated low mileage.

The seat material on them are different than later/US cars which is of notice, as well as the lightweight doors and sliding windows. I’ll weigh ours shortly to find out what they tip the scales at.

Since this really was the intended spec and some 50-60 cars built this way what are people’s views about them long term?

Were these cars built by the race department? Why do some “in the know” believe these early cars should have such a premium? It seems the story of the first F40s in production is untold, and history regarding them would be fantastic!!

of2worlds likes this.
  2. joe sackey

joe sackey Five Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Plexi sliding windows F40s, the rare original concept, I think the penny finally dropped.

3. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
  4. Camlet1

Camlet1 Formula 3

May 3, 2014
    UK
    Acacg and joe sackey like this.
  5. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Sound wise there appears to be some stiff competition under cover just to the right of your F40!

Acacg likes this.
  6. Camlet1

Camlet1 Formula 3

May 3, 2014
    UK
    Haha. One is a heavy metal rock band. The other a symphony orchestra :D

of2worlds likes this.
  7. fbrs2

fbrs2 Formula Junior

Sep 7, 2012
    UK
    I have the xost headers and pipes. Sound glorious and just under 105dB drive by. :D

Acacg and Camlet1 like this.
  8. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Well-played sir, it will come on the boost a touch earlier and stay a bit longer, all the while entertaining following motorists with an occasional flame-throwing display ;)

Camlet1 likes this.
  9. bertdeboer340

bertdeboer340 Formula 3

Sep 16, 2003
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Bert de Boer
  10. F40-R

F40-R Formula 3

Jun 22, 2014
    Acacg likes this.
  11. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    I love the purity of a stock car.

12. Camlet1

Camlet1 Formula 3

May 3, 2014
    UK
    It's relatively easy to switch back from the X-Ost pipes. My original box sits safe and well at that back of my garage. Best of both worlds, but can't over state the transformation in putting the straight pipes on. I use to piss my pants laughing for 80% of the time driving her. Now it's 120% :D

of2worlds likes this.
  13. fbrs2

fbrs2 Formula Junior

Sep 7, 2012
    UK
    Ha. I know the feeling! Such an angry noise without just being offensively loud.

14. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017

Last year at the Ferrari Pebble Beach 70th Anniversary display at Casa Ferrari I spoke with the owner of the F40 who does a similar thing with his original exhaust because he said the original exhaust is so valuable and so difficult to replace it really was crazy to overuse it.

15. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    I'm a purist like you are, but the one concession I made for my 288 GTO and all 3 F40s was a sports exhaust, Megaphones for the GTO and LM pipes for the F40, better for innumerable reasons if you are actually going to use the car

fbrs2 likes this.
  16. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    Makes sense.

Joe - please clarify something regarding the megaphone tips on GTO’s. Were they a factory option?

17. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Unofficially

18. luigisayshello

luigisayshello Karting

Jul 9, 2014
    (Off-topic) Actually a lot of cars benefit from period correct tires, the f40 no being one that suffers, but older cars 60's especially used tires as a suspension component and to change tires, especially wall size, it would need a complete re-engineering of spring rates, dampers, bushings if they existed and a totally different suspension geometry and even auxiliaries. The f40 does not suffer as much tho.

19. fbrs2

fbrs2 Formula Junior

Sep 7, 2012
    UK
    Of course I agree.

20. Garretto

Garretto F1 Rookie

Sep 3, 2003
    Bilbao, Spain
    Full Name:
    Rodolfo Di Pietro
    Funny how the car keeps its value as long as the original stuff is around, but no one actually wants it installed for road use.

21. Camlet1

Camlet1 Formula 3

May 3, 2014
    UK
    Spot on. I understand values and stuff but when you read tragic senseless stories such as the innocent kid on the SFO BART or the sudden passing of Sergio M, make every day count. My view FWIW is if you’re fortunate to have these treasures in your possession, enjoy them at every opportunity.

joe sackey and fbrs2 like this.
  22. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017

Couldn’t agree more. Some of us, myself included, have a big passion for originality and preservation. So, in my particular case it’s a huge part of the enthusiasm I have for my cars. Neither way is right or wrong. Whatever works for the individual.

joe sackey likes this.
  23. bertdeboer340

bertdeboer340 Formula 3

Sep 16, 2003
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Bert de Boer
    Acacg, NürScud and joe sackey like this.
  24. bernardo66

bernardo66 The Crazy Cat Man
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 14, 2003
    Montreal Canada
    Full Name:
    Bernie
  25. NürScud

NürScud F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2012
    According to someone the specific F40 is ''Possibly the rarest Ferrari F40 ever. Argentinian football star Diego Maradona’s black F40 was ordered in black by Corrado Ferlaino who was president of Napoli FC at the time and a friend of Enzo and is the only black F40 documented from the factory although couple were rumoured to have left the factory under secrecy in a colour other than red.''

@joe sackey do you know if this story is true?

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Acacg likes this.