F40 Photos | Page 4 | FerrariChat

F40 Photos

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by TexasMike, Mar 5, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RufMD

RufMD F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jan 31, 2004
    USA
    Full Name:
    Jas
    you never know if the right one comes along...

2. fiorano94

fiorano94 F1 Veteran

May 26, 2006
    MW/NW/SE
    Jas, amazing garage and pictures!!

You lucky guy!!:D

3. RufMD

RufMD F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jan 31, 2004
    USA
    Full Name:
    Jas
    Thanks man, feels like christmas every morning...i'm lucky to have a wife that keeps saying yes !

4. JOEV

JOEV F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 6, 2003
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Joe
    On a slight tangent Chris, please document this project in a thread. Sounds very interesting and I'm sure the end result will be amazing. Thanks.

5. RufMD

RufMD F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jan 31, 2004
    USA
    Full Name:
    Jas
    #80 RufMD, Sep 13, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  6. kwiker

kwiker Karting

Mar 27, 2007
    Plano, TX
    Full Name:
    Nicholas H
    ^^^ my new wallpaper^^^

Can we get some more pictures of that bad boy.

7. TexasMike

TexasMike F1 World Champ

Feb 17, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    Michael C
  8. carsinxs

carsinxs Formula Junior

Feb 26, 2007
    On The Fence
    Full Name:
    H
    There is this secret source of F40 wheel nuts. TexasMike. It is very difficult to locate them. We had to work hard to locate them for distribution, so, contact me directly, or preferably not as it's sort of a Where's Waldo. I'll even provide hints, no it's not the thread with the moustache leaning on the car. It's simply in amonst the thread here on F-Chat. It's sooo complicated. Can you guess what company is marketing them? Huh, can you?

9. TexasMike

TexasMike F1 World Champ

Feb 17, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    Michael C
    lol :)

10. RufMD

RufMD F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jan 31, 2004
    USA
    Full Name:
    Jas
    #85 RufMD, Sep 14, 2007
    The inspiration for the wing in the initial pics on this thread is as everyone here knows, the LM version of the F40. The first couple of LM's were sold to Jean Sage of Ferrari France and he did some additional development before entering them into the IMSA GT series (with such exotic venues as Topeka Kansas !). Jean Alesi would make his only competitive appearance in an F40 in this series.

Here is a pic and some race results :

Rd. Race Drivers Team Chassis Result
    1989 / 11 Laguna Seca 1 Hour Alesi Ferrari France 79890 3rd
    1989 / 12 Del Mar 1 Hour Jabouille Ferrari France 79890 DNF
    1990 / 3 Topeka 2 Hours Jabouille / Schlesser Ferrari France 79891 DNF
    1990 / 4 Mid Ohio 250km Jabouille / Grouillard Ferrari France 79891 3rd
    1990 / 5 Mosport Grand Prix Laffite / Haywood Ferrari France 79891 2nd
    1990 / 8 Road America 1 Hour Jabouille Ferrari France 79890 2nd
    Ferte Ferrari France 79891 DNF
    1990 / 10 Watkins Glen 500 Haywood / Ferte Ferrari France 79890 2nd
    1990 / 11 Lime Rock 300 Jabouille / Van de Poele Ferrari France 79890 9th
    Haywood Ferrari France 79891 DNF
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

modena06 likes this.
  11. RufMD

RufMD F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jan 31, 2004
    USA
    Full Name:
    Jas
    Here's a nice summary of F40 LM racing written by Mike Sheehan in SCM Sept '99

"Just as the F40 represents the ultimate Ferrari street car of the 80s and early 90s with 470 horsepower in a 2,800 lb. package, the F40 LM, built by Michelotto for Ferrari, with 750 horsepower and a track–ready weight of 2,300 pounds, could have been the GT class race winner of the late 80s and 90s. It was not to be.

Ferrari F40 LM s/n 79890 made its competition debut at Laguna Seca race track on the weekend of October 14, 1989, with Jean Alesi driving. He led the race until his car used up its tires, and he settled for third place. This was a great debut with a great driver, but there was little factory backing, no sponsorship, and only one race left in the season, at Del Mar, where the car DNF’ed.

For 1990, F40 LM s/n 79890 was joined by a sister car, s/n 79891, and one or both campaigned six of the ten races in the 1990 IMSA season, finishing well with three seconds and a third. However what could have been a championship–winning season with then competitive cars was lost for lack of factory interest and sponsorship.

While still competitive in IMSA, the Michelotto–built, but factory sanctioned (and factory blessed and numbered) F40 LMs were mothballed, never to race again. Two more years went by, until 1993 when the Italian GT Championship was opened to supercars such as the F40 LM and the Jaguar XK 220, with Marco Brand winning the 1993 Italian Championship with F40 LM s/n 80742, a Michelotto–built but privately supported race car with a then six–year–old design.

With the introduction in 1994 of both the B.P.R. series in Europe and the Japan Touring Car Championship, about a dozen of the Michelotto–built and privately campaigned cars appeared and did well, often winning pole and fastest lap at races from Suzuka to Le Mans, with victories at Fuji and Vallelunga in 1994 and double victories at Anderstorp in 1995 and again in 1996. But with little development the F40 LMs were often very fast, for a while, but not reliable enough to win a major endurance race such as Le Mans.

Upon the introduction of the Porsche GT 1 at Le Mans in 1996, the F40 LMs were finally relegated to racing obscurity, after eight moderately successful years, a long run in the racing world. They could have been much more successful with the type of support provided by Porsche and other manufacturers who were seriously committed to racing. "

12. TexasMike

TexasMike F1 World Champ

Feb 17, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    Michael C
    #87 TexasMike, Sep 14, 2007
    That bumper on the left look familiar. :)

modena06 likes this.
  13. RufMD

RufMD F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jan 31, 2004
    USA
    Full Name:
    Jas
    oh man, sweet piece of history right there ! How did you cop that Mike ?

14. kwiker

kwiker Karting

Mar 27, 2007
    Plano, TX
    Full Name:
    Nicholas H
    Do i see some doritos in the bumper? It almost lunch time.

15. TexasMike

TexasMike F1 World Champ

Feb 17, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    Michael C
    It's my friend Wes'. I think he bought it at an auction but I'm not sure which one. Probably the Spillman Auction.

16. joe sackey

joe sackey Five Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    #91 joe sackey, Sep 14, 2007
    Great to see all the re-energized interest in the F40 and the resultant posts! (and to think only yesterday 410SA was suggesting that we have said all we can on the F40 topic! LOL)

I should point out if I may, that even though www.qv500.com where you copied the above info and image of the 2 F40 LMs from states that the aforementioned cars were "sold" to Jean Sage (ex-Renault Formula One Team boss), that is not correct. This can happen when you simply cull information almost verbatum from a website without having background knowlege of whether their posting is correct or not, and although QV500 is an excellent site, it has more than a few factual errors posted. What actually happened was that these 2 F40 LMs (79890 & 79891) were actually purchased by Charles Pozzi SA, in Levallos-Peret (a suburb of Paris), where they were delivered (Massini can confirm this). The cars were campaigned on his behalf in an effort managed by Jean Sage and then sold post-racing in January 1991 by Pozzi.

Attached find an image of 79890, piloted by the indomitable Jean Alesi himself - a current F40 owner who swears there is no better car Ferrari has ever made for the street!

Joe
    www.joesackey.com

elmadi likes this.
  17. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Excellent image of the rear valance of the F40 LM clearly showing the way the flames on overrun have eaten the paint and carbon fibre away. AWESOME!

Joe
    www.joesackey.com

18. RufMD

RufMD F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jan 31, 2004
    USA
    Full Name:
    Jas
    I never said i took these pictures, and unlike yourself, i usually reveal the source of my inspiration (see the next post from Sheehan/SCM)....you on the other hand, are more than happy to cut and paste pictures all day without giving credit to the originators...helps with the whole expert image....

With regards to 79890, you are just plain wrong. The car was campaigned in the IMSA series with factory support by Sage FIRST and the sold to Pozzi around Jan 25 1991....as of 2001, the car was apparently still in his possession.

http://www.barchetta.cc/english/All.Ferraris/Detail/79890.F40LM.htm

19. Scuderia-San-Antonio

Feb 27, 2005
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Wes
    Nobody better touch my Nacho Cheese! ;)

Funny part about that bumper is that I paid about $100 for it at Mel's Auction cause nobody knew what it was, nor did they care.

There were some really cool F40 pieces there, wish I would have had more money back then.

20. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    The image of the 2 LMs was copied directly from QV500. No mention of that source anywhere by you - thats a fact.

I did not state you took the images either...

As for who got the first two F40LMs, why dont you go ahead and ask Marcel Massini who they were delivered to (Ive already checked BTW). I suppose in your self-importance youve become more proficient of a Ferrari historian than he is.... for my part I humbly profess to not having a clue. LOL.

Bottom line Jas, I started a thread simply to share and you made a concious decision to take shots at me first for NO reason other than the fact that Im a broker as well as an enthusiast (I should remind you that I was an enthusiast/owner for 20 years before I got into the biz'). I suppose all brokers are simply crooks by your estimation and cant possibly be real enthusiasts. You of all people should know how dangerous that kind of stereotypical thinking can be, my freind....

Its interesting to note how differently the pople who seek out my services feel. LOL.

You are doing all the things you took shots at me for (cut-and-paste info and images, prolific majority posting on a thread etc). Sounds like a healthy dose of hypocrisy, yet to be cured and speaks to who we are dealing with. Youve taken all the shots at me that you can, and Im still here, and always will be...

So lets hope you are very accurate in your posting because some reading this would like to know what the facts really are, and do not like being misled. Despite your protests, your information is incorrect. At least I admit when Im wrong (which is often, LOL) like a man.

Consider this well-known quote from the ages as it has particular meaning for you, and those of a similar attitude, and it is: "Methinks Thou Doth Protest Too Much". Im sure you know who wrote that and what he meant....

Joe
    www.joesackey.com

21. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    I would pay you a lot more than $100 for it now (not that I would even think youd sell it, of course).... Its gone up in value I think, sorta like your F40 :)

Joe
    www.joesackey

22. RufMD

RufMD F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jan 31, 2004
    USA
    Full Name:
    Jas
    no need to sully this thread joe...lets continue this discussion on your own personal thread shall we ? off we go then...

23. Scuderia-San-Antonio

Feb 27, 2005
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Wes
    #98 Scuderia-San-Antonio, Sep 14, 2007
    Naaaaaa... according to the F40 thread you started, my car is way too high of mileage and way too altered from OEM to go up in value or be worth anything.

Guess I will just have to keep driving it.

24. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Great to see one being driven.

Joe
    www.joesackey.com

25. RufMD