F40 vs 959 | FerrariChat

F40 vs 959

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by Dilusha, Aug 21, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dilusha

Dilusha Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2016
    I love both cars so much! :)

2. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    I prefer the F40.

3. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    Ha!
    Give me a choice.

4. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    When I've pondered this, I think both cars personify their makers so well. I'm not at all into Porsches but I wouldn't deny the importance of the 959.

My vote of course goes to the F40. IMHO it is simply THE ICON.

of2worlds likes this.
  5. MD355

MD355 Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2004
    Athens, Greece
    Full Name:
    MD
    The F40 is race purpose car !! It is flawed, more dangerous, less comfortable, less practical for daily use !!

The 959 is a better all around car !! It has safety features (AWD), luxury comforts and more practical for daily use !!

Both are gorgeous and very very fast !! However, since none of these cars will every be used daily, my vote goes for F40 for the pure thrills and pure driving experience !!!

Makuono, titangolf and Caeruleus11 like this.
  6. PineChris

PineChris Formula 3

Apr 17, 2013
    California
    Full Name:
    Chris
  7. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    i tried using mine as a daily. pita.

MD355 likes this.
  8. AMG USA

AMG USA Formula Junior
    Sponsor

Jan 4, 2017
    Boca Raton, FL
    Full Name:
    Atlantis Motor Group
    How do you compare an Apple and an Orange? Gotta have both.

9. joe sackey

joe sackey Five Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Armen, I love both the F40 and the 959, but as much fun as an F40 can be, from a usability perspective, I would pass on both these and take the 288 GTO instead.

Perhaps as a fellow GTO owner you'll agree!

Unlike the F40, the GTO can indeed be used every day if you like, it has great ground-clearance, absolutely superb visibility 360 degrees around the cockpit and is super-easy to live with. It just begs to be driven in an inviting way. You don't even have to open the engine cover to top-up the oil, and it has pleasing upholstery with carpeting and nice leather sports seats which our wives will actually sit in! The latter was a sore point with all 3 F40s we owned over the past few decades. The GTO really is the Supercar for all seasons, it's a nice touch that it is the number 1 car in Ferrari's Supercar Series for evermore, and it's rarer than the 959 and vastly rarer than the F40. Not to forget, it's FIA Homologated for Group B too, so it covers all the basis. There is a reason they bring what they do, and I submit it as the one to own if one has to pick just one of any of the aforementioned.

Maciek, ag512bbi, MD355 and 1 other person like this.
  10. Tenney

Tenney F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2001
  11. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    all true.
    the only problem is in the 288 you get taunted with magnum comments ;)

Caeruleus11 and MD355 like this.
  12. Schulz308

Schulz308 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2014
    STL USA
    No contest, F40 far exceeds in the fun factor category.

13. mikesufka

mikesufka F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 4, 2006
    Crosslake, MN
    Full Name:
    Mike Sufka
    A guy ( or gal ) really needs both, along with the 288 GTO and the F50 :) I could keep going ....

MDS

Ryan S. likes this.
  14. MD355

MD355 Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2004
    Athens, Greece
    Full Name:
    MD
    You are my hero !!!
    Sure, if you live in Geneva and commute to Monaco daily , the F40 would be a great driver !!!

To be 100% honest, how that I grow up, and my business is growing and doing better all of the time, I find more time to enjoy my supercars... So, whenever possible, I try to use them as frequently as possible !! So , an F40 could potentially be a daily driver !! The best way to get our of bed to go to work !! and the commute back home is NEVER boring !!!

15. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    kandi, Caeruleus11 and Ryan S. like this.
  16. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Never ever experienced that, conversely, in this information age I'm surprised how much even teens who weren't even born when the car was launched know about the GTO. The overwhelming majority of comments about them are how much more aggressively beautiful they are in person compared to in images. Also, the way motorists of more pedestrian cars react to you driving the GTO is different than when you are driving the F40. In the 40 I get some funny (envious or worse) looks, perhaps because of the racy-looking wing, in the GTO it's always a broad smile and a thumbs up.

17. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    it was a joke joe. lighten up ! :)

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  18. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Well you were right with the Magnum reference, before the information age many people thought they were some type of 308! I would have happily explained the difference to anyone but have never had to

19. cnpapa24

cnpapa24 F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2014
    NOLA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I’ve contemplated this very question for a long time. They are very different so it’s really a matter of what else you have in your collection and what gets your juices flowing. One stumbling block I still haven’t fully vetted is can a 959 be enjoyed without spending six figures on service on a regular basis. At the end of the day, the conclusion was not which one, but which one to buy first. :)

ps if anyone has first hand experience on the service question on the 959, I’d love to hear their insight. Feel free to DM me.

joe sackey likes this.
  20. schao

schao Formula Junior

Mar 31, 2013
    Palm Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    S Chao
    I love both cars, but gave up on the 959 when I talked to a Porsche tech working on one. I asked what he was trying to diagnose, and he explained that the most powerful chip at that time was an Intel Pentium (I think running DOS software)! So finding a working laptop able to run that software to interface with the 959 was just the start of the challenge.

21. rmolke85

rmolke85 Formula Junior

Mar 11, 2013
    Porsche Tech supercars are cool, but make no mistakes about it they are INSANE amounts of tech that no one really knows what happens in 15 20 years and were seeing that with the 959. Any mechanic who works on them says dont bother, same goes with the 918. Get a CGT and call it a day, its better than all the cars mentioned in this thread and then some...... thats my 2 cents.

joe sackey likes this.
  22. cnpapa24

cnpapa24 F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2014
    NOLA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Thanks for the insight, gentlemen.

23. jlonmark

jlonmark F1 Rookie

Mar 29, 2005
    Beverly Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Jay
    I'm sure if you post this on Rennlist or another Porsche site, the response will be people prefer the 959.

24. ajy86

ajy86 Rookie

Sep 5, 2018
    Florida
    Full Name:
    A Young
    For drivability I would go with the 959, AWD and more of a street car.

But for excitement, F40. If I had to pick one I'd say 959.