f430/360 double din radio. this might be perfect! | Page 6 | FerrariChat

f430/360 double din radio. this might be perfect!

Discussion in '360/430' started by goto35march, Jan 24, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. andycav

andycav Karting

Mar 27, 2015
    New York
    I have a 2002 260 that I drive daily and I wanted to upgrade the sound system should I want to listen to music when the windows are up (hot summer days, rain, cold).

I went with the pioneer 3500 and it is amazing (and sound concepts did a great job with the install). It does somewhat impact the vents, but you can fold the screen down and still have turned on so overall impact is negligible. However, i wasn't able to take full advantage of the power and sound the unit offered so i turned to Scuderia Audio out of fl. I ordered the subwoofer and amp from them and the quality is insanely good and all looks like it left the factory this way. Even the local audio dealer who did the head unit and sub & amp install thought the work was outstanding.

If anyone is looking to upgrade, I would highly recommend their work.

Oh, and of course I am saving the original radio should I ever decide to sell the car! Lol

Sent from my SM-T867V using Tapatalk

SRLC716 likes this.
  2. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    i like mine too - didnt realize you need carplay otherwise it doesnt have NAV.
    can you post a cple pics with the screen and folded and opened?

3. Apollo 11

Apollo 11 Karting

Feb 11, 2019
    San Francisco, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    I installed the Pioneer AVH-3400NEX in my 2003 360 spider and I'm very happy with it. I mainly got it for the Apple Carplay so I could use Google maps and Waze. I didn't really care about the radio, so I'm just using the stock speakers and no external amp. My only complaint is that it's difficult to see the screen when driving with the roof down. The screen could be brighter.

It works with Apple Carplay and Android Auto.

Ray Smith likes this.
  4. andycav

andycav Karting

Mar 27, 2015
    New York
  5. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    looks good - you had the place in bedford do it?

6. xtLSport

xtLSport Karting

Dec 18, 2019
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    C.L.
    can you use waze / any app with that apple play? or does apple play only work with native apps like apple maps, etc...

7. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    yep u can use waze with carplay

8. Apollo 11

Apollo 11 Karting

Feb 11, 2019
    San Francisco, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Only certain apps are made to work with Apple Carplay. But Waze and Google maps do work with it.

9. andycav

andycav Karting

Mar 27, 2015
    New York
    Scuderia Audio in FL supplied the amp and sub.
    I got the pioneer head unit at Sound Concepts in Nanuet NY and they did the install of the amp and sub. They do alot of the audio work for wide world so they are familiar working w.Ferrari.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

10. NY-3PEDAL360

NY-3PEDAL360 Karting

Jul 19, 2020
    I went through the entire thread and didn’t come across a pic of the joying in a 360. There were a number of 430 pics. Can someone with a 360 please post pics? Sorry if I missed it.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

11. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    fwiw the joy looks out of place and its out all the time. unless im using nav i have my screen folded down...

12. mfennell70

mfennell70 Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Middletown, NJ
    I'm installing the AVH-3500NEX in my 360 and have a quick question.

The stock radio has a removable post on the back that mates to a hole in the dash structure. The new radio has a threaded hole that looks to be in the same spot but it's too small. I'm reluctant to just slide the radio in there, cantilevered off the relatively flimsy fiberglass dash and I can't find a similar thing anywhere. Did anyone do a self-install? What did you do?

BTW, this all came about because I installed the very sweet anodized aluminum front vents sold by user @rizzo308 No point putting the stock stereo back in.

13. Apollo 11

Apollo 11 Karting

Feb 11, 2019
    San Francisco, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    I did mine last year and from what I can remember I took the post off the old radio, used a tap to put threads on the new one and installed it on the new radio. Worked very well on my installation. Keeps it solidly in place.

14. mfennell70

Nov 3, 2003
    Middletown, NJ
    I was reluctant to stab a tap in there, not knowing what's behind the hole. I'll give a closer look. Thanks!

FWIW, it seems reasonably steady w/o the post but it still doesn't feel like a good long term solution

15. Apollo 11

Apollo 11 Karting

Feb 11, 2019
    San Francisco, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Yea, as harsh as the ride can be with these cars, I felt it best to put that post on there.

16. mfennell70

Nov 3, 2003
    Middletown, NJ
    Thanks for the tip! 5/32 drill bit to open up the existing hole. M5x0.9 tap (anyone using this - better doublecheck). Good to go.

I was surprised this headunit doesn't have HD Radio. It didn't even occur to me to check. It's not the most amazing thing ever but far more useful than a DVD player. Even if I wanted to watch in a car, I haven't bought a DVD in 10 years. OTOH, the FM tuner seems really good. I have a zillion cheap fluorescent tubes in my garage and they interfere with most FM radios but not this one.

Doing some more research after the fact, I see that there are a bunch of new 9" screen offerings that don't retract. They're permanently 'floating'. The ones I looked at (Alpine, kenwood, I think) had the same resolution as this 7" screen.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Apollo 11 likes this.
  17. Todd Laing

Todd Laing Karting

Jun 15, 2020
    Mena Arkansas
    Full Name:
    Todd Laing

I'm having the new Alpine Halo 9 (floating screen installed in mine shortly) along with a complete system. In my 360 spider. I'll post pictures up and a quick review once I get the car home if you guy are interested.

Apollo 11 and mfennell70 like this.
  18. Snapshift

Snapshift Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 31, 2020
    Centralia IL
    Full Name:
    Lyle D. Pahnke
    New to me 2005 Ferrari F430 since June 19th 2020. The OEM speakers were all rotten, subs gone, no tech for Satellite, phone anything. always having to wait an hour to put in radio code in radio that barely worked. I wanted a back up and forward looking cameras, Apple car play etc, etc. I didn't want to do it myself so had this company that specializes in exotics do it. Most local shops in area would not touch a Ferrari. Took awhile but was on vacation but well worth it. I recommend the Stinger electronics ELEV8 unit 7 in screen. There is plenty of room for reaching window buttons and I didn't want it to block A/C vents so this seemed to be the best compromise. The video sums up everything done. All new speakers , sound deadening, front wrap on original paint. med window tint cameras,etc. People ship their cars in from all over the country for Mr Landau's expertise. It can be converted back to original, but who would want that. Couldn't be more satisfied. No other problems, and this seems to be as perfect as I can get it for the time being. IT is going to be in an upcoming show in the Midwest in October, the Randy Gori Memorial. Look it up if you can .This is a huge display coming up. Hope you all like this installation.

Todd Laing and Apollo 11 like this.
  19. Todd Laing

Todd Laing Karting

Jun 15, 2020
    Mena Arkansas
    Full Name:
    Todd Laing
    Beautiful install man! I’m having similar none as we speak. Hopefully, mine turns out that well. Are you happy with the sound quality so far. Mine is a spider so I’m sure the hard top allows for much better sound staging!

20. Snapshift

Snapshift Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 31, 2020
    Centralia IL
    Full Name:
    Lyle D. Pahnke
    #145 Snapshift, Sep 5, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2020

Yes sounds fine. Coupe has leather headliner helps. The sound deadening helps on long trips. It is a professional install so the crossover, equalizers volume gains are well balanced and electronically set up.. I think the Stinger is avail for professional install only but may be wrong. It has several amplifiers and is about 200W total I believe. No ghetto blaster though. Phone calls take priority. The satellite radio is a bit fluky, but not sure why yet. I may be talking to the factory about this when get the time. It has plenty of volume though with the amplifiers. All the old stuff was removed but is still available for any purist that purchases it in the future . All speakers were rotten and all the foam was gone. 15 yr sold though. Apple car play is great and everything can be voice controlled. you can even command it to send a text message. The cameras are extremely helpful to me. Good luck with your install. There is no way I would have tackled this myself. These cars are extremely complex and getting the door panel off requires about 9 specialized tools so I was told. No thank you! Nothing was messed up and the wrap is seamless. They even detailed it when I picked it up. It looks totally original, no visible wiring anywhere, front or back. They know how to do this stuff. Very clean, neat workmanship and installation. and is what I believe to be the perfect upgrade to a beautiful automobile. Check out their site for ideas etc and see what is really involved in the installs. looks like brain surgery when panel is rewired.

Todd Laing likes this.
  21. Todd Laing

Todd Laing Karting

Jun 15, 2020
    Mena Arkansas
    Full Name:
    Todd Laing
    Yeah I have done a lot of installations myself but definitely have to leave this one to the professionals! I’m using the Alpine Halo 9 head unit, Focal K2 power speakers, JlAudio subs n amps ( backup camera, sat radio). Also did almost identical to you on the PPF coverage! Mine is Silver so probably easier to work on than black. Those guys are artists when it comes to making the PPF seamless. Mine should be getting close to done this coming week! I’ll share some video and pictures when possible.

Snapshift likes this.
  22. spider348

spider348 Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    Replaced my Pioneer AVIC-N3(Prior remarkably high quality install) with the AVH-3500NEX based on input here, thank you!
    Completed install last night. Easy connect to Apple Play, Maps etc.
    Looking for best location for microphone. Ferrari is a 360 spider.

Todd Laing likes this.
  23. Snapshift

Snapshift Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 31, 2020
    Centralia IL
    Full Name:
    Lyle D. Pahnke

My mike is at top left of windshield behind window pillar or A pillar. Only the head sticks out and you don't even notice it unless looking for it. It is a small muff covered mike about a 1/4 in diameter. Very sensitive.

24. Snapshift

Snapshift Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 31, 2020
    Centralia IL
    Full Name:
    Lyle D. Pahnke
    Looking like it’ll be a dream system. For me the backup camera is worth it all. My subwoofer is just a single speaker centered between the seat in rear. I really don’t know the mfg of amps and speakers they put in at audio shop but they did have to make all the mounting frames. It looks original except for the screen. You will like the system

Todd Laing likes this.