F430/360 spider canvas top holes issue ~solved | FerrariChat

F430/360 spider canvas top holes issue ~solved

Discussion in '360/430' started by veilstylez, Dec 9, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. veilstylez

veilstylez Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2005
    SoCal
    #1 veilstylez, Dec 9, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hello everyone
    I'm not sure if this was covered before but I could not find any info on it. So I hope this helps.

When I was shopping for F430's seemed like a lot of them had small holes on the spider canvas top. I've seen them here as well and never knew what was causing them. All the holes I've seen are all located in the same area, up near the front on both passenger and drivers side... some more on one side then the other. My car had them...BIG ones. Anyways, because of the holes I had to replace my top for a new one because it needed it. At first, I just thought that the holes came from age maybe wear and tear so by replacing the canvas top I wouldn't have any issues with it....so I thought. Well I replaced the whole outer canvas top, and on my first drive home with the top down I saw new marks forming around the same area. Then on the second drive after about 2hrs it looked like it was going to make a new hole AGAIN. I couldn't figure it out...so I started to duct tape that area on top anytime I drove with the top down....this helped but didnt solve anything obviously. I also add patches of thick tape under that area.

Anyways, sorry for the rant. I know what the problems is, and its real simple
    hopefully I can explain it properly.

The marks/holes are formed because they touch or rub on each other and from heat and friction(vibration)...that area gets hot. I noticed it when got home after a drive I put the top back up and when I removed the duct tape that area was hot and almost melted the tape to the top. Here's, the problem....so the reason it gets hot is because there's a metal bar that's suppose to retract back when the top folds away. When this "bar" doesn't retract back it puts pressure in that exact area when the top is full tucked away, it also produces heat to the bar because when the top is put away in the back ....the heat from the engine heats up the top and being metal its get hotter than anything else.
    I found out about this problem because when I used to duct tape the area on both sides of the top. I noticed it was rubbing up only on one side and the other side was fine....this is how I found out about the "bar"...the bar was crooked. The bar was only folding back on one side...and since the bar is held by a bracket on each side... one was forward and the other side was re-tracked back....the bar that was forward was touching the area that was making the holes and the other was free.....this is how I found out that its was suppose to move back and forth. So I sprayed some wd40 around the brackets that hold it and NOW every time I put the top down, doing the folding process I push back the "bar" while in operation to make sure it gets folded(hope that made sense). The Bar is suppose to get pushed back doing the top down procedure held by elastic straps...maybe the straps have wore out or maybe the oils have dried up on the bracelets.

Now no problems as long as the bar is pushed back when the top is down.

Simple right?

Heres some pics.

Pic1 of the area where the holes are off my new canvas top...you can see some new marks even with the new top. The red circles are the holes and the lines represents where the top folds hence the crease. (pic 2 is from a member here sorry I used your picture was to show the exact location)
    pic 3 is off a 2009 f430 with only 6900miles... big hole same area

pic4. is of the "bar" thats suppose to move/retract back and forth...forward when the top is up and back when the top is down. (dont mind the patch..i just put that there)

pic 4 is of the "bar' is in the forward position(when top is up)
    pic 5 is of the "bar" is in the back/retracted position(should like like this when the top is down) When its forward it creates a friction point on the canvas look at pic 6.

pic 6 is the point of contact of the friction point. so when its forward that piece of metal heats up and rubs against the canvas

So lube the brackets that hold the bar back and forth.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. gandalfthegray.

gandalfthegray. Formula Junior

Jul 18, 2006
    Pinewood, MN
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Awesome! Thanks for taking the time to write this up. I have the dreaded dimples already. This will help me prevent actual holes.

3. bocaf430

bocaf430 Formula 3

Jun 10, 2014
    LI, boca raton
    What's the best position to have the top in to access these areas?

4. KM1959

KM1959 Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2014
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Instead of thick tape for reinforcement, I used the fuzzy part of velcro tape on my F355 for a similar condition. Use the industrial strength version which is available at almost any home center.

Tonite I'll check the F430. Thanks for the tip!

5. elias1

elias1 Karting

Mar 21, 2015
    Thanks for taking the time to do this. Ive had the same problem.Cant wait to get home and check on mine.

6. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    Great idea - kudos

rgds,
    vincenzo

7. gsworld2014

gsworld2014 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2014
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Greg S
    What would be the best way to lubricate this? Top up, down or in the middle?

My picture is the 2nd one. These holes appeared over night. No warning. As a matter of fact I was getting rub marks on the left side and those have stopped. It is very odd that the holes just appeared.

8. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    That has solved a real mystery. Can't wait to go home tonight & check if that bar is retracting when top down. Thank you for the detective work. You could ask 100 dealers about this and not get the answer, I suspect.

9. gsworld2014

gsworld2014 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2014
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Greg S
    That's a fact! I have asked several people!

10. veilstylez

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2005
    SoCal
    Thank you all ...hopefully this really helps.

Dang, great IDEA!!

So the best position would be when the front part of the top starts to fold and stop at 90degrees like an L shape. ...the front part just fold over and you have to stop it at 90 degrees which is in the first few seconds.

Well to access the area it needs to be in the first few seconds of the top down procedure. Ill try to get some pics later.
    I started to see markings the first couple of hours on a new top so it will turn up quick. If only one side is showing..then it means that only one side of the bar is retracting. If the bar doesn't retract back at all then both passenger and drivers side will start to burn a hold. The side that doesn't retract will make the burn marks.

11. veilstylez

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2005
    SoCal
    #11 veilstylez, Dec 10, 2015
    In this picture

this is the position where you would have access to the bar. Here you can see the bar in the red circle that it is retracted back. The blue circle is where the bar would be if not retracted. So in this position you would see if your bar is retracting or not.

Also, this position is where you would lube the moving parts connected to the bar on each side.

12. veilstylez

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2005
    SoCal
    #12 veilstylez, Dec 10, 2015
    .....continue checking

Stop at this position(picture 1)

and in picture 2
    The black line represents about where the bar would be if not retracted back. When NOT retracted back you will feel the metal bar where my thumb is. Check both sides though because it could be retracting only on one side.
    Now when properly retracted back and working as it should ...that entire area of fabric that im holding on should be loose and free...should be all fabric with nothing underneath.

in picture 3 the area where my thumb is about where it gets pinched/burnt/rubbed.
    No bar=no rubbing.

13. Darran

Darran Rookie

Jun 27, 2015
    Thanks for posting this. My 430 had the cloth replaced in the Summer under dealer goodwill after a long "discussion" over how these marks just appeared on my roof. I am sure you have saved a number of other owners the huge upset when out of the blue they are faced with a torn cloth on their roof.

14. SLViper1

SLViper1 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2014
    Nashville/Destin
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Great Info and pics on this subject!
    Thanks!

15. gandalfthegray.

gandalfthegray. Formula Junior

Jul 18, 2006
    Pinewood, MN
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Again, thanks for the write up. Saved me a top.

16. gsworld2014

gsworld2014 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2014
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Greg S
    Thanks!! Sorry have 2 more questions, where will the bar be if it is retracting properly? Also how do you push the bar back or if you lubricate it do up not need to push back manually?

I'm going to check this out tonight.

17. mello

mello F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 12, 2013
    CA Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Steve
    If the bar is not retracting fully toward the rear, then the elastic bands are worn. I replaced mine about two months ago and it's been working great ever since.

18. gsworld2014

gsworld2014 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2014
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Greg S
    How are those replaced?

19. Rohry

Rohry Karting

Jun 5, 2015
    Charleston, SC
    Greg, we posted to this same topic a while back. I had my 07 F430 in at Karl Troy's place (European Road and Racing in North Charleston) and I told him to look at why my top was ripping after less than 3,000 miles of being replaced. After looking at it, he told me the bar was deformed and showed me how to push it back manually when it gets to the apex. I have not put any tape on it or oiled it but it seems to be closing with less drama.

20. Rohry

Rohry Karting

Jun 5, 2015
    Charleston, SC
    Excellent post! Thanks, my guy at European Road and Racing discovered this problem on my F430 just last week! I have been pushing the bar back manually, but I will look into lubing it...

21. mello

mello F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 12, 2013
    CA Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Steve
    The elastic bands will be exposed once you remove the top's interior liner. The removal process is in the WSM. It took me about 4 hours to R/R. I double-up on the elastics thinking that it will extend the life of the bands before the next round of R/R. You can try lubing it but eventually it all boils down to the elastic bands being worn and losing its tension.

22. veilstylez

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2005
    SoCal
    #22 veilstylez, Dec 11, 2015

in the picture below, the red line is about where the bar would be when retracted properly.

Can't really explain it..if you feel under the top about middle you can feel a stand lone bar.

When doing the top down procedure you can swing/pivot the bar back as the front part of the canvas folds. If you look back at the first set of pictures you can see how the bar swings/pivots back and forth.

23. gsworld2014

gsworld2014 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2014
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Greg S
    Yes I remember. I need to check mine... Based on what this says I'm going to have the elastic checked.

24. bobster_rulez

bobster_rulez Karting

Mar 5, 2012
    So should you put tape or something else on the underside of the top as extra insurance?

25. gsworld2014

gsworld2014 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2014
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Greg S
    Ok so mind is where it is suppose to be yet I have the marks... Very strange... I had patches put under both areas to help them from wearing.