F430/360 spider canvas top holes issue ~solved | Page 2 | FerrariChat

F430/360 spider canvas top holes issue ~solved

Discussion in '360/430' started by veilstylez, Dec 9, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Rohry

Rohry Karting

Jun 5, 2015
    Charleston, SC
    Maybe it's only pulling back to where it should be some of the time? I know on mine when it didn't settle properly it sat higher in the "receptacle" and the aluminum covers had to kind of push the whole top mechanism down so that it would close properly. Once I pushed the bar back (with my hands) then you could see that the whole mechanism was seating down deeper into the "receptacle".

2. veilstylez

veilstylez Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2005
    SoCal
    Rohry is correct. Some days it works fine some days it doesn't. And when it's not correct it does sit higher and the aluminum covers push it down and this is when the bar tears up the canvas. So best would be to always push it back with you drop the top so you know it's correct. If your getting the marks..then it means it doesn't retract always.

I'm probably gonna add a patch of Velcro tape underneath it like someone suggested here for added insurance.

3. bocaf430

bocaf430 Formula 3

Jun 10, 2014
    LI, boca raton
    Where does the patch go?

4. gsworld2014

gsworld2014 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2014
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Greg S
    How and when do you push the bar back?

5. gsworld2014

gsworld2014 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2014
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Greg S
    My top guy in wpb put patches all 4 areas where they can wear and then checked the elastic and I haven't had any more issues... Of course I still checked it yesterday just in case

6. Rohry

Rohry Karting

Jun 5, 2015
    Charleston, SC
    See picture #11: the top is 90 degrees to the plane of the ground (closing); pause there, push back on lower part of top, you will feel a thin bar move back, continue closing the top. That's it...if the covers have to push down the fabric at all then repeat. That "pushing down" action is what is causing, at least some of, the damage.

7. spikes360

spikes360 Formula Junior

Apr 1, 2013
    Niles, IL
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I just found this post and this just happened to me. Everything was working fine until I tried to put my top down this morning. My top would not fully close in the down position. The canvas would go down all the way but the metal that covers the top would not finish. In other words I couldn't get the final 2 seconds. I could hear the top trying to close but it didn't. So I put the top back up and that's when I saw the 2 little holes forming. Could this be because of the rod is out of position? I don't want to keep trying to put the top down because I'm afraid that it would make those holes bigger.

8. Jackp6

Jackp6 Karting

May 26, 2013
    Your rubber that pulls the rod back is worn out, unless you fix it it will continue getting worse. Patching will not work. Meanwhile when you are opening the roof, as soon as the top goes up 90 degrees, grab the rod thought the ceiling, and flip it toward the back. The elastic is worn out so you have to help it along. It's a $1 part but hard to get to.

9. spikes360

spikes360 Formula Junior

Apr 1, 2013
    Niles, IL
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I understand about the rod - I haven't had a chance to look at it but it sounds like everyone's aluminum cover is finishing and covering the top. Then you can drive off. But my aluminum cover is not finishing it starts to close then stops about mid-way. I can't drive off with the top down and the cover sitting above the car.

10. spikes360

spikes360 Formula Junior

Apr 1, 2013
    Niles, IL
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Wow. You guys are absolutely right! That bar flips easily and everything closes right. I thought there was going to be some major problem besides the bar but the metal cover slides right into place. Thanks.

11. KVerow

KVerow Karting

Nov 22, 2010
    Bedford, NH
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    So this describes my situation however the question I have is, what are people doing as a short term fix for the small holes. A new top is in the cards for next off season but in the meantime what solutions are being used? Tape? Patches? Goop?

12. arachnyd

arachnyd Karting

Feb 5, 2016
    Springboro
    Did you ever hear a solution to this?

I don't know how to justify 4-5k to replace a top for small patchable holes. SO I was going to patch them with something, I just haven't figured out what to patch them with now. IT'll look good, function 100%, and so I don't see the drawback to the repair.

13. KVerow

KVerow Karting

Nov 22, 2010
    Bedford, NH
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    No, never did get a solution. I'm aware of the weather so it doesn't get caught in the rain. However that said, I've done the research and https://www.cabrioworld.com/ looks to be the best option moving forward.