News

F430 Ball Joint Rubbers

Discussion in '360/430' started by phil the brit, Aug 16, 2019 at 3:28 AM.

1. phil the brit

phil the brit Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 7, 2013
    Colchester+Clermont
    Full Name:
    Phil Taylor
    I have just had my F430 serviced by Ferrari dealership in UK and they highlighted that two lower ball joint rubbers had splits in them. Ball joints are fine but rubbers not.
    The charge for replacing these would be £345.46 PER RUBBER. Now that seems a little excessive.
    Can this be a DIY job and does anyone know of a step by step guide to follow? Alternatively could I give this job to an ordinary garage to do or is Ferrari dealership expertise essential.
    I am only changing rubbers, not the ball joints themselves.
    Thanks
    Phil

2. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

Dec 7, 2003
    Winston Salem, NC
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    That number doesn't sound right for simply the labor + new rubber boot. I'd verify with the dealer before pulling the fire alarm. The job can be done in situ, and there are two boots per ball-joint. The expense of Hysol is spread among all the ball joints too

3. mike32

mike32 Formula 3

May 13, 2016
    Uk
    You can remove the arm with the ball joint in place- then just change the rubbers without removing the ball joint from the arm. Each rubber is about £18 each from superperformance or hill engineering. Send me an e mail address and i will talk you through it if u give me a ring.

4. John_K_348

John_K_348 F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2013
    Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    John E. Kenney
    The stock ball joints are such a bad design (chrome over mild steel) that if you are doing the labor to remove the control arms, I would go ahead and swap out the joints for Hill replacements (stainless), boots, and never look back. You may even get away with doing just uppers, or lowers, or all fronts only. But this would be around a grand for the parts and hysol as opposed to just $80 for boots.

whatheheck likes this.
  5. mike32

mike32 Formula 3

May 13, 2016
    Uk
    They charge £400 in labour for one in uk, plus parts

6. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Berkeley, CA
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    I would just wait until the joints wear out (which they will regardless of if the boots are torn or not), and start clunking over bumps. Then replace the boots and joints with good Hill Engineering parts. The labor to access the everything is the same, with the exception of pressing the old joints out. I use a bushing press tool to remove the old joint that doesn't require removal of the control arm from the car, so the additional labor is not very much.

7. mike32

mike32 Formula 3

May 13, 2016
    Uk
    Its fine if u have a lift but i did mine on a floor jack so you have to remove the arm.