F430 bypass valve rattle | FerrariChat

F430 bypass valve rattle

Discussion in '360/430' started by LorenzoR, Aug 20, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. LorenzoR

LorenzoR F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

#1 LorenzoR, Aug 20, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. klointheridge

klointheridge Karting

Jun 5, 2017
    Westchester Cty, NY
    Full Name:
    Kevin Long
    Stupid question...but what did the rattle sound like? I have something going on at start up but it disappears after about 30 seconds

3. LorenzoR

LorenzoR F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

I thought at first it sounded like a screen rattling or vibrating. After 30 seconds it went away. So a couple days ago i took off the diffuser off, i started her up and quickly went to the rear of the car with a screwdriver. I wedged it into that arm of the bypass valve and the rattle stopped.

4. vv23

vv23 Karting

Jan 8, 2009
    Edmonton, Alberta
    Full Name:
    V V
    I have the same problem.

Can you tell me where you got that spring. Or dimensions of it etc.

thanks

5. LorenzoR

LorenzoR F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

I got the springs at a BUSY BEAVER hardware store. I can measure them up tomorrow

6. klointheridge

klointheridge Karting

Jun 5, 2017
    Westchester Cty, NY
    Full Name:
    Kevin Long

Very interesting! Was it really loud? I can sometimes kick it away w a flick of the gas pedal.

7. Speedracer800

Speedracer800 Formula Junior

Jan 16, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    Another way to check if it's your valves making the suspect noise is to disconnect the vacuum hoses from the valves which will cause the valves to remain open. The rattling from faulty valves occurs typically when the valves are closed. Disconnecting the vacuum lines will be help isolate the noise you're hearing.. If it goes away after disconnecting then it's safe to assume your annoying noise is indeed the valves.

Great fix with the springs.. Just a little lateral tension on the valve is all it takes to solve this. Seems like its caused by normal wear on the shaft / shaft bushing in the valve assembly which creates the rattling.

8. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Nice to see my idea put into practice

9. LorenzoR

LorenzoR F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Hi Mike, i thought it was you i was just to tired last night to search it to make sure. Thanks for the idea. That rattle drove me nuts

10. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    I think my F430 have the same problem.

Kindly share the dimensions of the spring please, or perhaps if anyone knows where we can order it online.

Thanks!

Dan

11. LorenzoR

LorenzoR F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

#11 LorenzoR, Aug 21, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Okay I just took it back off so I can get a good measurement and a picture for you guys. I hope it turns out okay cuz I'm doing this from my phone
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Excellent! Thanks for sharing photo and info.

Now time to find a seller.

Will share what I find here.

Dan

13. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    On the F355 the fix for the rattle was to remove the diaphragm (couple nuts holding it to the bracket. Then loosen the nut on the shaft and unscrew the diaphragm a couple turns. Tighten the nut and reinstall. This adds a little preload on the valve to hold it shut. It is presumed there is a loss of tension causing the valve to rattle.

One has to be careful with the adjustment, if you add too much pretension it can prevent the valve from opening.

Looking at the photos, there may be enough room to remove the circlip from the shaft, loosen the lock nut and do all this from below?
    Again, only add one or two turns, whatever is required to eliminate the rattle, but avoid it stay constantly closed from too much pretension.

14. Speedracer800

Speedracer800 Formula Junior

Jan 16, 2013
    Chicago, IL

Yes.. I tried that fix also but it didn't resolve it for me. It seems like you need a little bit of lateral pressure on it to quiet them down.

15. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA

16. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

that could be your exhaust box giving up

17. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

ha, that looks like an old school mechanical gas pedal return spring

18. LorenzoR

LorenzoR F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Yea funny you mention that. Your rite. Looks like something youd see on a 4 barrel carb haha

19. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Where i used to work, we had springs on a few things as a quick fix, but they tended to be a permanant fixture in time.

20. vv23

vv23 Karting

Jan 8, 2009
    Edmonton, Alberta
    Full Name:
    V V
    Do you have any more info on the springs? My exhaust valves rattle also, want to see if this can fix it.