F430 Clutch % | FerrariChat

F430 Clutch %

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Asthenis, Jan 20, 2023.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Asthenis

Asthenis Karting

Jan 20, 2023
    Hello There!

I am about to pull the trigger on a 2006 F430 with 19k miles on it, but the remaining Clutch is 52% (48% used)...

is this OK for a normal use or can become quickly an issue ?
    how many years - credit would I get if I don't take it every weekends on the Track ? :D

thanks !

2. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    That sounds about right .. you probably have another 10 15 k left as long as you don't reverse it alot or get stuck in stop and go traffic freq

Actually track time probably wears the clutch less than stop and go ..

Most the wear happens at initial bite

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

cavlino likes this.
  3. Asthenis

Asthenis Karting

Jan 20, 2023
    I see thanks a lot !
    also going Neutral at stop in City might help instead of staying in 1st gear ?

4. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    I don't believe based on how the system works ..unless you creep

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

5. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    It all depends on how you drive. You can burn a clutch out in a matter of minutes. Or that clutch could last you another 5 years. Stay away from underground parking lots. Stay away from cruising in downtown heavy stop and go traffic. Pay very close attention to the full engagement point and carry your speed appropriately for the conditions to minimize clutch slippage. But sure your PIS is set correctly ( no more then 1800 rpm before full engagement). Avoid steep slow hills where the clutch won't fully engauge (constant slip) minimize reversing time. Just a few thoughts..

Red 27, SCantera, Asthenis and 2 others like this.
  6. jedijingle

jedijingle Rookie

Dec 15, 2013
    Sun Diego California
    Full Name:
    John
    On hills in traffic, let the cars in front of you pull up and make a large gap, Then get the car going and come to a full stop and let them gap again otherwise the creep in traffic with really wear it down quickly. Not a bad Idea to have the PIS adjusted by a shop.
    Cheers

cavlino likes this.
  7. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Why ?

8. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Depending on where you are parked..that car will just continually slip the clutch on the way up the ramps simply because the vehicle speed will not be fast enough to allow full engagement of the clutch. A customer if mine toasted his brand new clutch after getting stuck in an under ground after a baseball game. Expensive lesson.

SCantera and cavlino like this.
  9. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Oh, damned. we long for a six-speed gearbox and a working hand brake. Even then, the smell of clutch will permeate the parking garage

10. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    True..but when you are in a line up of cars you just can't stop and let the car cool. With a manual car you can use your foot and "feel" to modulate the clutch..even lugg the engine a little bit in order to minimize clutch wear and heat. The F1 gearbox and software will not allow for that. The clutch will slip until certain rpm and vehical speeds are reached and on a hill or slope..that very rarely happens below 40 mph.

SCantera, 2NA and cavlino like this.
  11. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    Just don't use reverse. I could smell the clutch burning each time I went in reverse in my F430

12. SCantera

SCantera F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2004
    Living Falls NC
    I have had quite a few F1 transmissions over the years. Including the antiquated 2005 Maserati QP Duoselect.

The key to longevity is understanding how to minimize slipping the clutch. I have done well with my 18k mile 575 SuperAmerica. Still has 79% remaining.

I am a bit worried about my QP. Recently my girl moved it out of the house garage down the driveway. When I came up from my car garage I initially could not figure out what the smell was. Then I realized she had smoked the clutch. I am not optimistic about the reading when I take it in for service.

In traffic let the car in front pull away far enough to allow enough throttle for full engagement of the clutch and quickly shift into neutral to disengage and coast up behind the car in front. Creeping forward to maintain the gap isn’t good for the clutch.

VAF84 and Texas Forever like this.
  13. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    So ramps on above ground lots don't hurt the clutch?

Red 27 likes this.
  14. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom

A ramp is a ramp...I suppose I should have mentioned those as well.. also..an F430 is not a good choice to climb Mt everest.

Asthenis and Red 27 like this.
  15. radlu

radlu Formula Junior

Jun 6, 2005
    How do you know the clutch wear numbers are good?

16. AEHaas

AEHaas Formula 3

May 9, 2003
    Osprey, Florida
    Full Name:
    Ali E. Haas
    I think a lot of wear is when slowing, downshifting. Brakes are from slowing, not your clutch/engine.

Ali