F430 convertible top anterior ram leaking hydraulic fluid | FerrariChat

F430 convertible top anterior ram leaking hydraulic fluid

Discussion in '360/430' started by alexkashef, Aug 3, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. alexkashef

alexkashef Rookie

Jun 10, 2009
    Full Name:
    Alex
    F430 convertible top anterior ram leaking hydraulic fluid

Hi everyone,

Just bought this car and 8 ups and downs and now my front hyraulic ram for the locking mechanism is leaking. I want to get the car working asap so I can enjoy summer, so I am going to take out the ram and send it to cabriolet hydraulics to recondition it. I figure if I take it in, it will take about 2-3 weeks to take care of it.

My question is that when I get it all put back together, do I need to bleed the lines? Also, where do I top of the fluid and what type of fluid should I use.

Thank you,
    Alex

2. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    The system is self bleeding.

I suggest checking the two secondary rams (about shoulder position, on the edge) as they are likely leaking too.

You'll need to top up the hydraulic reservoir (behind the passenger "B" pillar) as well. I use Mercedes hydraulic fluid ZH-M.

You'll need one of these to fill the tank.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Qavion likes this.
  3. alexkashef

alexkashef Rookie

Jun 10, 2009
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Thank you, that was very helpul. Got the ram out to hydraulic convertibles for a rebuild. The side ones were just replaced, and the anterior just started leaking. They were done out of state, so I tackled this myself so I can get the top working for the end of summer. Appreciate all your help!