F430 coupe vs spider | FerrariChat

F430 coupe vs spider

Discussion in '360/430' started by Robby Johnson, Jul 16, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Robby Johnson

Robby Johnson Rookie

Jun 28, 2018
    Full Name:
    Robby Johnson
    I can't decide which trim I like better. How many of you guys have issues with the tops on the spiders? I like the look, but its just another system in the car that can break. Just wanting some real world experience to learn from.Saw a video of a guy that had to shake his top as it went down to get it to fold correctly and fit all the way down.

2. BruceC

BruceC Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 26, 2018
    Tucson, AZ
    At the risk of inviting hate mail from the Berlinetta owners, I personally think the look of the spider is a bit more striking than the coupe, but let's face it - they're both great looking cars (although if I had my druthers and the cash, a 430 Scud would most likely be my first pick).

I've had my spider for 3 years and never experienced a problem with the folding top. There are a fair number of 360 & 430 spiders running around here and to my knowledge, none have experienced a failure yet with their folding tops. That said, this is the first "convertible" that I've owned and I'm learning first hand just how uncomfortably hot South Carolina summers can be. Even with the A/C on and top down getting caught in stop in go traffic on a hot summer day can be brutal.

One somewhat minor nitpick with the spider is that the soft top can mar the paint where it rests on the rear deck. When I purchased my spider, it had what I assume was a factory applied clear film to protect the paint, but the film starting to yellow, and I had to have those surfaces repainted to fix the appearance before new protective film was installed. As a consequence, I actually store the car with the top down (which the owners manual specifically tells you not to do). I don't particularly like the look of the car with the soft top up. Image Unavailable, Please Login

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Rick M likes this.
  3. Mighty Joe

Mighty Joe Formula 3

Sep 3, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I've had my Spider for 3 years now! When the top is down, you really do get the full Ferrari experience! Those pipes, the looks! Wow....

4. Scout123

Scout123 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2017
    This is my first brutally hot summer in Kansas City Missouri with my Ferrari spider. With the top up, the air conditioning on, and even in stop and go traffic, I find it does a great job keeping me cool.

5. Robby Johnson

Robby Johnson Rookie

Jun 28, 2018
    Full Name:
    Robby Johnson
    I'm in KC and have been trying to meet up with some of the local guys to get a better look at the 430 before buying one. Any change you'd be willing to meet up sometime?

6. shad99

shad99 Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2013
    Japatul Valley, CA
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Agree. The top is really well put together. Three layers, two of which are bonded together with rubber. Well insulated and surprisingly quiet for a soft top. We had one issue in four years of ownership. One of the two cover cylinders needed new seals. Not enough to deter me from the joy of top down driving.

Robby Johnson likes this.
  7. psb1013

psb1013 Karting

Feb 4, 2017
    I think I saw a YouTube video a while back where a 430 Spider owner was complaining about the top sometimes leaking water. Has anyone here had that problem? Personally, I haven't driven my 430 Spider in the rain or even washed it yet so I'm not sure.

8. BruceC

BruceC Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 26, 2018
    Tucson, AZ
    I get a little water leakage around the top of both side windows when I wash it - nothing that can't be wiped away easily. Got caught out in the rain once and don't recall any noticeable leakage on that occasion.

9. F-Serge

F-Serge Formula 3

Aug 3, 2004
    UAE
    Full Name:
    Serge
    I think the top mechanism is identical on 360 and 430, I've had mine for over 6 years with no major issues. Had to replace one of the hydraulic cylinders and a fin stretch cable, that's all. 360 was my first open top car, I'm a big fan of convertibles now.

10. TAILWAG

TAILWAG Karting

Apr 8, 2007
    OP/Olathe
    Full Name:
    Angel
    I have owned my F430 spider for 1.5 years thus far. It has worked flawlessly.
    My only complaint is that it is certainly a slow mechanism. It seems to take 20+ seconds for the whole top to fold up or to fold down.

As a couple of people have mentioned, the top can rub on the paint when it is in place. The best way to prevent the scuffing of paint is to, keep that area clean of debris and with a good coat of wax. When I got mine, it had some major scuffing where the top meets the body of the car by the engine bay - I polished it and apply some heavy wax - there is some slight scuffing, but NOTHING compared to what it had before.

I am not a convertible person, but I have to admit that, on the F430, the lines look very nice and the sound - well, it is certainly amplified.

Loooove it.

11. TAILWAG

TAILWAG Karting

Apr 8, 2007
    OP/Olathe
    Full Name:
    Angel
    Hey Robby - I know this is taking for ever to get accomplished. We had 3 F430's out yesterday! Let's make it happen this week.

12. Robby Johnson

Robby Johnson Rookie

Jun 28, 2018
    Full Name:
    Robby Johnson
    Bruce, I'm really liking your color combination. that's a good looking car.

13. Robby Johnson

Robby Johnson Rookie

Jun 28, 2018
    Full Name:
    Robby Johnson
    That would be great!! Where was my message to meet up yesterday? ;)

14. 2GT

2GT Formula 3

Aug 25, 2008
    Western NY
    Full Name:
    Fred

I have an F430 Spider that I bought in October of 2011 and a 458 Spider that I bought in May of 2013. This is my seventh summer with the F430 Spider, and the top operation has been flawless. Two years ago, I had Algar lubricate visible convertible top components when the car was in for routine fluid services. This year, while they had the car in for service, I asked them to check the top elastic bands as a precaution. Everything was in great shape. Based on my experience (I lower and raise the top each time I take the car out), I would have to say that it's a very reliable system. I prefer the appearance of the F430 Spider over that of the berlinetta, and also the open-top experience. I'm not a track-day guy. That being said, I much prefer the metal top and electrically-operated glass rear window of my 458 Spider, but that's a horse of a different color (actually not: they're both TdF blue!). Good luck with your search! Fred

cavlino likes this.
  15. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    I love my 430 Spider. There is so much more noise and experience than in the Berlinetta (I own a Berlinetta also). Berlinetta is a little bit more stiff and pure, for sure, but Spider is a well designed piece of kit - no wind buffeting, great roof (German made I believe), almost no wind noise when up. But that depends also on whether you are a convertible person, some people just don't enjoy them in which case the coupe is a better car.

16. 2GT

2GT Formula 3

Aug 25, 2008
    Western NY
    Full Name:
    Fred

+1 By the way, with the top up and windows closed, in oppressive heat and humidity, the F430 A/C is amazing! Fred

17. Robby Johnson

Robby Johnson Rookie

Jun 28, 2018
    Full Name:
    Robby Johnson
    Thank you guys for all the replies so far. I appreciate your input.

18. Metastable

Metastable Formula Junior

Most top problems seem to be related to weak elastics.... but replacing them is apparently a fairly easy fix.

19. BruceC

BruceC Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 26, 2018
    Tucson, AZ
    #19 BruceC, Jul 17, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2018
    Robby - thanks! I was originally going for a red 430, which probably would have been a better fit for me if I was a couple of decades younger. Saw the Grigio Silverstone with the red accents (Ferrari calls it "Nuovo Rosso" or New Red) on eBay and fell in love with it. I have to give credit to the original owner (I'm #4) - a red interior was pretty far removed from my thinking when I started shopping and I probably wouldn't have thought of the little details like the matching challenge wheels with the red center caps, but the combination seems to work well together.

20. Metastable

I like that colour combo too. Here it is with top up.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Rick M likes this.
  21. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Nice. Some days I would take that over my Silverstone on Crema. Silverstone works really nicely on the 430.

22. Metastable

I like your crema (oh man..... good thing I caught the silly spellcheck.... it changed Crema to cream) :D

Mine is a shtick too.... too bad yours isn’t LHD we could do swapsies. :)

Themaven likes this.
  23. Rick M

Rick M Rookie

Sep 13, 2018
    Full Name:
    Rick Misita
    Bruce,
    I am looking at my first super car, the car I am looking at is your twin. 06 24K, daytona seats just like yours. plenty of clutch left. Purchase price a hair over 100k, delivered, what do you think?

Rick

24. Metastable

Hey Rick, make sure it goes through a PPI. If you have maintenance records that is a really good thing. If the car does not need anything, then it is a good price. If it needs a bunch of work, then you should get it for less. The one you see with the top up is mine.

Rick M likes this.
  25. Rick M

Rick M Rookie

Sep 13, 2018
    Full Name:
    Rick Misita
    That's why in one picture the center caps were yellow and another they were red!