[F430] DIY Header Install Question | FerrariChat

[F430] DIY Header Install Question

Discussion in '360/430' started by BlacktopRacing, Nov 26, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BlacktopRacing

BlacktopRacing Formula Junior

Sep 18, 2016
    Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Dale
    Hi All.

I'm preparing to install a set of AP headers and have downloaded a couple of instructions from AP and Fabspeed. However, Fabspeed's instructions say to remove the wheel well liners, but I can't understand why. Does anybody here know? The AP instructions say they did it just to take pictures but that it wasn't necessary. I think between the two instructions, I have enough information to do the job, but just curious to hear from others who have already done it. Also, if anybody near Pittsburgh, PA would like to lend a hand, that would be great too. I have a heated garage with a lift and air compressor.

Thanks,
    Dale

2. SCKOMS

SCKOMS F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 21, 2011
    Lake County, IL
    Full Name:
    Spiro
  3. shifter

shifter Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 8, 2004
    Danville, Ca
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Hi Dale, you are just out of reach, I’m about 5 1/2 hours away in Warwick MD, making it a long day otherwise I’d be happy to help.

I am planning to do manifolds myself this winter as well. Hope you post some tips and tricks as you go!!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

4. cpep

cpep Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2017
    new york
    Full Name:
    CHARLIE
    That diy is pretty much the way I did mine. I did buy all new hardware with slightly longer flange bolts. I also used the copper nuts but 10mm so I could get access to all of them with a ratchet and socket. Pulling the inner wells just makes getting to the o2 sensor easier. Just remember there is a wire connected to them for the tpms sensor.

5. BlacktopRacing

Sep 18, 2016
    Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Dale
    Now that we know removing the wheel well liners isn't necessary, what about disconnecting the battery? I don't see any reason for it, other than to avoid shorting something out in the event of an accident. We remove a total of four sensors (2 O2 and 2 temp) from their ports, but we don't disconnect their electrical connections, correct? If so, there little risk of a short.

6. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Why would you not disconnect the battery

7. CarAholic

CarAholic Formula Junior

May 10, 2016
    No need to remove wheel well liner. I would disconnect the battery just due to the ease of it. I highly recommend putting it up on stands a day or two prior and soak the nuts in pb blaster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AClark likes this.
  8. mwstewart

mwstewart F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Removing the wheelarch liners is necessary if you have a Spider.

9. BlacktopRacing

Sep 18, 2016
    Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Dale
    That's basically the same thing I'm asking. Why would you need to disconnect it?

10. RWC58

RWC58 Karting

Oct 14, 2018
    Columbus Ohio
    Full Name:
    Robert W Crooks
    You disconnect the battery for safety . Every shop manual will tell you to do that any time you are working under the hood . I wrench on domestics for a living and rarely do it unless I'm right next to battery power swinging a wrench . In my world having to reset everything in the car including computer strategies is a big PITA so most professional mechanics won't do it unless it's absolutely necessary .

That's my explanation --- do what's comfortable and safe for your skills.

11. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    I replaced my exhaust manifolds with AP headers. I removed the wheel liners as instructed but I cant remember the reason. And my hard drive recently failed which contains all the photos and DIY info that I created.............

Disconnecting the battery is of utmost importance when working on cars (I am an electrical engineer) Reason is for safety. To avoid accidental short circuit that can destroy expensive electronic car components.

You dont have to disconnect the battery terminals. It is strongly suggested, again for safety reasons to avoid accidental short circuit of electrical connections.

recoil and cpep like this.
  12. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    And then there is the starter near where you are working. Too much can go wrong down there and big arcs kill expensive stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

whatheheck likes this.
  13. shifter

shifter Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 8, 2004
    Danville, Ca
    Full Name:
    Joe
    For clarification, is it suggested to simply turn the disconnect in the front trunk area, or literally disconnect the battery terminals?

The former would be a given, and it’s easy enough to do. But is there any reason to actually remove the terminals from the battery?

14. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    The switch in the front is in the negative line , not the positive and also it does not break all the negative connections( some negatives are prior to it, direct on the battery. Best to pull the battery out

shifter likes this.
  15. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    I personally only turn the battery master power switch off.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

16. shifter

shifter Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 8, 2004
    Danville, Ca
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Interesting, thanks for pointing this out. I had assumed positive, all my race cars have had the disconnect on the positive side, by regulations.

17. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Its a weird set up, never seen it before.

18. BlacktopRacing

Sep 18, 2016
    Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Dale
    Somebody posted a link to a tool they picked up at Harbor Freight that they claimed is essential for making this operation a little less of a hassle, but I can't find it. Does anybody know? It was some sort of a wrench with a bend in the handle, but I don't think it was a 90-degree bend. If I recall, it was used for removing the manifold nuts. I will be starting my install soon, and would like to reduce back-n-forth trips to the hardware store as much as possible. I do have a fairly vast collection of tools, including air tools, but there's always that one tool you could use that you don't have :)

19. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    I remember that post too. I did a quick search and cant find it..........

Hopefully the member that posted it will chime in here soon.

Dan

20. BlacktopRacing

Sep 18, 2016
    Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Dale
  21. BlacktopRacing

Sep 18, 2016
    Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Dale
    Well, I got all the panels off and the sensors out. None of the instructions mentioned removing the rear valance, but I did because it makes crawling in/out from under the car easier. It's easy enough to do. So total of four engine bay panels, under tray and rear valance. Also presents a good opportunity to clean them off. I noticed this performance shop's sticker on the crash attenuator, and was wondering if anybody here has has any experience with them. They're still in business.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

22. BlacktopRacing

Sep 18, 2016
    Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Dale
    In addition to my question above, does anyone know if these two holes should be covered? They appear to be for inspection, but the shine of the metal around the openings makes it seem like they were covered at one point. Just wondering. I decided to ask here rather than search through parts diagrams.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

23. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    You will need to do a battery reset anyway once they are fitted since the learning characteristics stored in the Motronics will all be wrong and will need re-learning anyway so may as well flick the battery isolation switch before the work if you haven't already done it..

I'm 360 Canuck likes this.