[F430] DIY Header Install Question | Page 3 | FerrariChat

[F430] DIY Header Install Question

Discussion in '360/430' started by BlacktopRacing, Nov 26, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Flea7

Flea7 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2010
    PNW
    Full Name:
    SKIM
    I'm going to have to disagree on both parts but it's your car. I found the opposite. Ive taken temp of the engine bay before and after. Header blankets work.
    But again its your choice.

Gizzi and whatheheck like this.
  2. BlacktopRacing

BlacktopRacing Formula Junior

Sep 18, 2016
    Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Dale
    I'm going to have to disagree with you then, ;) There is no way for Heat Blankets to reduce under hood temperatures. Think about it... where is the heat going to go? It's going to escape the blankets and end up in the engine bay. What exactly did you do as far as measuring before/after temps? Also, did you test with ceramic coated headers. I took temperature readings on both exhaust manifolds using an infrared thermometer after several drives and after idling for 15 minutes. Since Jet-hot claims up to 65% less underhood temperatures, I will be repeating the same measurements on a day with the same weather.

3. Flea7

Flea7 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2010
    PNW
    Full Name:
    SKIM

OK....good luck.

whatheheck likes this.
  4. mwstewart

mwstewart F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Mark
    It goes out of the tailpipes...seriously; blankets make a huge difference.

5. Flea7

Flea7 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2010
    PNW
    Full Name:
    SKIM
    He has it all figured out. He just spent 12 hours over 3 weeks changing his headers.. He knows what he's doing. After reading his last response, I figured it's better not to argue the fact.
    I took a lesson from Mark Twain and just said "ok ...good luck"

6. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Remember, header temp and compartment temp are not the same thing and are only loosely related. The thermal resistance from the hot gas to the engine bay impacts the actual temp in the engine bay, not the surface temp of the header. That only shows it's relative position in the thermal gradient.

BlacktopRacing likes this.
  7. cfensty

cfensty Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 1, 2008
    South Carolina
    I think the thread is going off course but the blankets in my 360 and now F430 made a noticeable difference in engine bay temp (Not to say the ceramic coating won’t do the same or better). I’ve just seen too many of these coatings fail over time and the blankets seemed like a more permanent solution.

Glad to see the end result was a good one though OP. Enjoy in good health.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

8. BlacktopRacing

Sep 18, 2016
    Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Dale
    #58 BlacktopRacing, Jan 14, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2019
    There's no need to be like that. Let's keep open minds. My point about the blankets is valid, as they don't fully seal off the exhaust. Maybe they're not ineffective, but just not as effective as ceramic coating, which lowers the surface temperature of the headers themselves, and thus not superheating surrounding air (or so they claim... seeing is believing). If underhood temps are measurably lower with the blankets, I am suspicious because of the fact there are still gaps between them and the headers. So, once that air is heated, where does it go? I suppose a fraction of it may be channeled out under the car, which would be good. So my theory is that those blankets are certainly better than nothing, and exhaust wrap is a little better, and that the right ceramic coating is even better still. I agree that the ADDITION of blankets to either exhaust wrap or ceramic coating might add benefit, but I prefer to measure the effects of the ceramic coating first. If they do as well a job as claimed, then everything should be good, and I can save the added cost of blankets. If the coating only performs a fraction of what they claim, then I can reconsider adding the blankets. Make sense? Sorry for the long reply, but I just felt compelled to explain my response better before things get out of hand. Short replies can come off wrong. I appreciate everyone's comments and advice just the same.

9. BlacktopRacing

Sep 18, 2016
    Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Dale
    I'm glad others are chiming in to verify lower temps with just heat blankets, as it relates to a question I had when I purchased headers in the first place. After talking with some others, I became convinced that the ceramic coating option I ultimately decided upon would do the job and negate the need for wrapping or adding blankets. So, in the event I end up adding them, what kind of underhood temperatures did you guys measure and how and when did you take the measurements? I'm wondering if the heat blankets just make it take longer for the underhood to rise, or if they permanently decrease underhood temps (in other words, no heat soak effect). I'm hoping I won't need them, but Jet-Hot did quote UP TO 65% heat reductuon, which could mean just 1%.

10. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    This is really a pretty straight forward thermodynamics problem. There are resistance layers (different thermal conductivity) stacked up in a linear fashion with exhaust gas heat on one end and engine bay on the other. You can think of it like a pipe with a bunch of narrow spaces and wide spaces in it and think about the heat as water flowing through that pipe. The wide spots change the velocity of the water in that section but they don't change the amount of water that got there or cause more water to flow through the next restriction. Each coating, blanket, air, metal, etc. layer is a section of pipe with a specific diameter. The more thermal resistance (narrower the pipe section) the less water flows. Any of the solutions will slow the rate of heat transfer, none of them stop it. SO, the engine bay MAY get to the same temp with every solution but since it is dumping heat out other places that result is unlikely. Does that make sense?

Where does the extra heat go if not the engine bay? Heat that doesn't transfer across that series of junctions goes out the tail pipes.

11. Flea7

Flea7 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2010
    PNW
    Full Name:
    SKIM
    Ok...good luck. You will eventually learn.

whatheheck and Gizzi like this.
  12. BlacktopRacing

Sep 18, 2016
    Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Dale
    I wish I had it figured out like you said. It's my nature to be skeptical about stuff like this, and prefer to go on data. I shouldn't have said header blankets cannot reduce engine bay temps like I did, because I have no data to back that up. So, can you please share the data you collected? What were the temperature measurements you took before and after installing header blankets, and which brand do you have? Just curious how much of a difference the header blankets alone make. Also, when you took before and after measurements, were the conditions similar? Thanks.

13. BlacktopRacing

Sep 18, 2016
    Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Dale
    Almost forget to mention the weight savings going from OEM manifolds to ceramic-coated AP headers. It was not as much as I expected, or hoped. There was a total of just 8.8 pounds saved. I weighed each OEM manifold and each header twice, and while the weight of each varied slightly, the resulting difference was the same. Now, if only I could find my "before" temperature reading data...

Skidkid likes this.
  14. Gizzi

Gizzi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 3, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Full Name:
    Gezim
    Have you considered insulating the hand brake cables and some of The other harnesses near the manifolds? They can melt and cause you problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    I like the ceramic coating and I think combined with this it would work well.

16. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Spot on they do a great job. I am reading some weird ideas on this thread about blankets not helping etc- what tosh.
    I worked on Steam Turbine ships for 15 years and every pipe had the hell insulated out of it , to prevent heat loss and keep the engine room at a reasonable temp.
    Ceramic coatings only drop the surface temp by a small amount, you sure would not grab hold of the manifold expecting it to be cool enough to hold.

Flea7 and whatheheck like this.
  17. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    My experience is the same but there are always people out there that would rather doubt than listen to other people with experience.

I was in the Navy, been in the boiler room and you see thermal blankets on every steam pipe. Zero ceramic coating. Like you said, makes the room comfortable and safe to work inside.

There are times we just need to let people find out the hard way.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Gizzi and Flea7 like this.
  18. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    If you worked on ships, you might be interested in looking up SS Stena Queen. I used to run the engine room on that one- 45 000 hp on a single shaft. 62 bar pressure @515C superheat.. 440 000dwt- 4th biggest ship ever made at the time

whatheheck likes this.
  19. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    I looked up that ship. Wow! Huge! Thanks for sharing.

Dan

20. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    I might know something about insulation then ?
    That ship has a draught of 92 feet when loaded, burned 260 tonnes of fuel a day, about 1500 kws of electrical load at 440 volts 3 phase. General Electric MST 14 steam turbine set- HP. and LP rotors @62 bar inlet pressure.

whatheheck likes this.