F430 Engine not cranking | FerrariChat

F430 Engine not cranking

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by gaxor, Dec 4, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. gaxor

gaxor Rookie

Jul 19, 2017
    Surrey - UK
    Sorry if covered elsewhere but I couldn't see any answers.

I have a 2008 UK model F430 Spider, and every now and then when I come to start the engine nothing happens. All ignition lights on, and CHECK OK appears, but dead starter!

I suspect the F1 pump may be responsible, because after several ignition on/off and lock/unlock cycles the F1 pump starts up and the engine cranks as normal.

I have fitted the Scud ING F1 relay, and a brand new Bosch battery.

In all other respects the car runs like a dream. No other problems electrical or mechanical

Any thoughts appreciated.

2. brian.s

brian.s F1 Rookie
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 3, 2003
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Brian
    What about the brake light switch........

3. gaxor

gaxor Rookie

Jul 19, 2017
    Surrey - UK
    Good point, hadn't thought of that

4. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Happens to me from time to time and there is actually another post about this same exact issue and I shared the same recommendations.

I recommend you check to ensure your are stepping on the brake pedal hard enough prior to pushing the engine start button. Basically ensuring the brake switch is making contact giving the ECU the signal it is seeking to enable engine start.

Also, pop up your engine compartment hood, clean the contacts of the 3rd brake light metal plate, then reclose the engine bay hood.

Also, open and close the driver side door to ensure the F1 pump is priming when the door is opened. If sometimes it doesn't, check the door position open/close switch to ensure its not stuck or damaged.

Hope that helps.

Dan

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

5. ME308

ME308 Formula 3

Nov 5, 2003
    Munich, Germany
    Full Name:
    Michael
    and check the brake light bulbs ;)

whatheheck likes this.
  6. Mor

Mor Karting

Oct 14, 2017
    I had similar problem with 599 with F1 swiss relay. Check that when you open drivers door, F1 pump is starting. My pump was not working when I open the trunk first then open the rest of the car. Scud Ing gave me another improved relay and now the problem is gone. I’ve send them the old one for testing. So check the drivers doors first.

Wysłane z iPhone za pomocą FerrariChat

whatheheck likes this.
  7. Keith Darby

Keith Darby Karting

Nov 12, 2017
    Full Name:
    Keith W. Darby
    I had same issue on a 360 F1 and found the culprit to be the brake light switch. Press brake pedal and verify brake lights are on and attempt to start.

whatheheck likes this.
  8. ChuckStyl5

ChuckStyl5 Karting

Mar 28, 2004
    The Armpit
    430's if in neutral do not need the brake lamp switch to start .. at least not in the US

9. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Most late model Ferraris will start in neutral without depressing the brake pedal/switch. Unfortunately, many owners ignore the OM, which says to select neutral before starting.

2NA likes this.