F430 Exhaust Manifold Header Install DIY : Fabspeed | Page 2 | FerrariChat

F430 Exhaust Manifold Header Install DIY : Fabspeed

Discussion in '360/430' started by Trent, Sep 15, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Oktobernv

Oktobernv Rookie

Feb 2, 2013
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Rob D
    Make this a STICKY

Great work

Many thanks for your efforts

Rob

2. stremer

stremer Rookie

Jan 27, 2013
    Rancho Santa Fe
    Full Name:
    John
    Trent

+1

Thank you for summarizing a solution to an important f430 issue

John

3. timemachine

timemachine Karting

Dec 8, 2009
    Hartland Michigan
    Full Name:
    John Meaney
    Trent,
    Great write up! Hats off to you...I admire the fact you did it right on the floor...From a couple of the pics, it looks like the Fab Speed headers are all mandrel bent tubes with a 4 into 1 merge collector and the Capristo headers look to be peiced together tubes with dual 2 into 1 pipes. Are the Capristo headers stepped (i.e. tubing diameter increases as you move away from the port) or is the tubing the same diameter just welded together? From my racing experience, the 4 into 1 merge collector and one peice mandrel bent tubes is preferable. I'm considering a new exhaust system for my Scud and thought I would do some research. Has anyone done any HP comparison tests b\t the two brands? If the power increase was the same for both (i.e. +20HP), do u know the difference b\t the two brands in weight?

4. Trent

Trent Formula 3

Dec 10, 2003
    Indialantic, FL
    Full Name:
    Trent
    1. I agree mandrel bent is better than segments-welded together. Better == a. Less seams to cause turbulence. b. Fewer places for cracks and failures. Both have a great warranty, where the PIA would be the removal and mailing.
    2. No side by side HP/TQ, but most of the gain is from removing the pre-cats and larget tube diameter. Both systems accomplish that feat. The collector are different between the Capristo and Fabspeed, but I will guess the HP/TQ gains are similar.
    3. For weights, just email Jeff @ Fabspeed and Capristo and use the current numbers. I also imagine they are very similar. The stock ones are TANKS, and nearly hit my face.
    4. Doing it on the floor was super comfortable and easy. Lifts are fine, but, standing looking up with your arms up for a long time gets tiring. I prefer to be on my back ;)

5. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Outstanding info and excellent DIY write up. Thanks very much Trent.

Dan

6. Trent

Trent Formula 3

Dec 10, 2003
    Indialantic, FL
    Full Name:
    Trent
    Outstanding first post. Welcome to FChat!

7. ducsc1k

ducsc1k Karting

Jun 8, 2013
    NYC
    Full Name:
    John
    Hi Trent,

thanks for a detail DIY and also want to see if you have any updates with the fabspeed header after almost 1.5 yrs. I recall you took off the wrap so do you have any heat issues?

regards,
    John

8. Trent

Trent Formula 3

Dec 10, 2003
    Indialantic, FL
    Full Name:
    Trent
    Wrap basically burnt off due to misinformation (lies) in the material specification data sheet. But thats fine. No thermal issues so far.

The Fabspeed headers have been great and no issues whatsoever.

The Pros are numerous!

1. More and better sound. Its great! newer video [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6m0U6HxoQs]F1 4th brake light on Ferrari F430 - YouTube[/ame], listen to this video, then your F430, tell me if you hear a difference. Note that the first part of the video the valves are closed. At 50sec into video I open valves.
    2. The added power was noticeable. I went from traction on hard acceleration, to spinning on hard acceleration. Thats noticeable. But my new RE-11s fixed that :( way too much traction.
    3. They are lighter than my OEM headers by far (I forgot to weigh them in/out. Sorry.
    4. No pre-cats, so if they fail its low risk.
    5. Lifetime warranty.
    6. Reasonable price, at least compared with alternatives.

Cons:
    ZERO

9. ducsc1k

ducsc1k Karting

Jun 8, 2013
    NYC
    Full Name:
    John
    thanks Trent for the video and update, it sounds great!

during my research I noted there are some f430 with fabspeed headers are throwing CEL with stock CAT, so much so they start shipping O2 extenders with all new header purchase. Have you experienced any CEL thus far?

10. Evan.Fiorentino

Evan.Fiorentino F1 Rookie

Aug 23, 2005
    South East Florida
    Full Name:
    Evan
    This can be the case in some instances when removing that factory pre-cat. It is by no means the most common outcome, but it is a possibility depending on your climate. We are shipping O2 extenders with all F430 header purchases as a potential solution for the few that do experience a CEL.

I will be happy to help answer technical questions about weights, performance increases etc.

Thanks again Trent, this is a great thread and a valuable resource for the community. Any member here can PM me, Email me at [email protected] or call me at 215-646-4945 ANY time and I will be happy to answer any further questions.

11. Evan.Fiorentino

Aug 23, 2005
    South East Florida
    Full Name:
    Evan
    I also wanted to note that I offer exclusive Ferrarichat member pricing on all Fabspeed products :)

PM me if you have any questions!

12. Trent

Trent Formula 3

Dec 10, 2003
    Indialantic, FL
    Full Name:
    Trent
    No CELs here. But based on reading 2987.43 threads on headers, pre-cats and CELs it seems somewhat random and not specifically related to Fabspeed, but to all aftermarket headers that remove pre-cats and don't remap ECU or have cat extenders to mediate the issue.

*The header wraps that failed and burnt were not sourced from Fabspeed. Just wanted to be clear on that. I have a DIY on that "failure".

13. Evan.Fiorentino

Aug 23, 2005
    South East Florida
    Full Name:
    Evan
    Thanks for clearing that up! I was going to say, if your car was to burn to the ground... you'd still be left with a nice set of Fabspeed header blankets lol.

14. ducsc1k

ducsc1k Karting

Jun 8, 2013
    NYC
    Full Name:
    John
    so based on your experience, you do not have any CEL issues with the fabspeed header and you don't have CAT extenders nor the remap ECU, is that correct?

I'm not raising another fabspeed vs other brand issues, there are enough posts out there, I just want to have some real user feedbacks after some prolonged use.

thanks again~

15. 808Forza

808Forza Formula Junior
    Owner

Jan 5, 2013
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Full Name:
    Gil
    I too have Fabspeed headers (uncoated polished versions) along with the Fabspeed blankets and their supplied 02 extenders. Installed the 02 extenders as precautionary since it was all apart already.
    Just as Trent stated, ZERO issues and ASTOUNDING sound and low end torque improvement. As a good friend puts it, no more 'puttering' exhaust note at idle :)

Evan from Fabspeed is a great person to speak to and answered all my questions before, during and after installation.

16. Evan.Fiorentino

Aug 23, 2005
    South East Florida
    Full Name:
    Evan
    Hey, that was a nice thing to say! I appreciate that!!

17. Trent

Trent Formula 3

Dec 10, 2003
    Indialantic, FL
    Full Name:
    Trent
    You are correct; Fabspeed headers-Stock Cats-Stock Exhaust. No CAT extenders, No special software in ECU. No CELs

18. Buckynsparty

Buckynsparty Karting

Jan 23, 2012
    MI/AZ
    Full Name:
    Jim
    #43 Buckynsparty, Jan 7, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2014
    Same for me!
    And the awesome Fabspeed blankets as well.

19. Evan.Fiorentino

Aug 23, 2005
    South East Florida
    Full Name:
    Evan
    Hey guys!

Anyone who has decided that Fabspeed is the way to go and decides to call me to order, if you mention this thread directly I will put in place an IMMEDIATE $300 discount for any order of F430 headers for the rest of January of 2014!

Cheers

20. Evan.Fiorentino

Aug 23, 2005
    South East Florida
    Full Name:
    Evan
    One confirmed happy customer thanks to this thread :)

21. PATLEW

PATLEW Formula 3

Dec 3, 2007
    Marvin /Waxhaw
    Full Name:
    Patrick Lewandowski
    With the fab speed headers is there any issues with CEL? I know one person who installed on 360 and could not ever clear the CEL. I would be interested in the headers to eliminate any issues down the road and keep the original cats.

22. Trent

Trent Formula 3

Dec 10, 2003
    Indialantic, FL
    Full Name:
    Trent
    I think this question has been beat to death; but here goes.

1. Many people including myself have installed Fabspeed headers with no software update, no O2 extenders and are CEL free.

2. Some people that install aftermarket headers (Fabspeed, Capristo, etc) do have CEL issues and need either:
    .a. O2 extenders (included with many aftermarket headers, just in case)
    .b. ECU software reflash - rare but it does happen.

Summary: Most do not have CELs, the ones that do scream loudly (as they should) and have to rectify with O2 extenders or ECU reflashes.

23. PATLEW

PATLEW Formula 3

Dec 3, 2007
    Marvin /Waxhaw
    Full Name:
    Patrick Lewandowski
    That is my exp. on the one I saw in person needed to be flashed and new sensors but did not fix problem. Not sure if it was ever solved I think the guy wanted his car after being in the shop for 3 months trying to resolve the issue.

24. RichardCH

RichardCH F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 16, 2005
    or call Capristo

25. RichardCH

RichardCH F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 16, 2005
    but whatever there is definitely something to be said for removing the stage 1 Cats