430 - F430 Failed Emission (Smog) Test | FerrariChat

430 F430 Failed Emission (Smog) Test

Discussion in '360/430' started by Emanuele Arguelles, Aug 21, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Emanuele Arguelles

Jun 29, 2020
    Full Name:
    Manny
    So, I failed my smog test to renew my registration on my F430, I had just brought car in for service, and they disconnected the battery and I had not driven the car in about a month. After realizing that I needed to put some miles on the car (I drove about 100miles) for the computer to reset, I still failed smog test. I called dealer and below are the instruction provided to complete the “Drive Cycle” in order for the car to pass smog. You will need to run this cycle 3 Times.

Initial Parameters: (if these 2 parameters are not met, this will not work)
    1. Car fuel must be between 1/4 and 3/4 tank. (you will be making a lot of short gas station visits!)
    2. This cycle must be done with a “Cold Start” (car not started for 8 hours)

Running the Drive Cycle:
    1. Start the car and let it idle for 5 minutes. (Do not touch the gas pedal)

2. Drive the car very slowly to the nearest freeway (or road that you can drive 10 miles at a constant speed), must not exceed 2,500 rpm. (Yes, this will be torture! You will be shifting gears very quickly)

3. Once on the freeway, accelerate very slowly, never exceeding 2,500 rpm. You must drive the car for 10 miles at a consistent speed and maintain 2,300 – 2,500 rpm. (Another torturous task)

4. Once you have completed 10 miles, pull off the freeway and find a safe place to park the car and let the car idle for 5 minutes.

5. Turn off car for 1 minute.

6. Restart Car – Drive Cycle is Complete

You will need to run this cycle 3 times! The dealer told me to run the cycle 4 times because inevitably you will mess up one of the cycles. This worked for me, I hope it helps anyone with the same issue. Good Luck!

Red 27 likes this.
  2. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
  3. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    i like this method much better as doing 2000 to 6000 rpm runs makes a lot of noise! i guess the difference is this method requires 3 cold starts as opposed to the other method which can all be done in one outing.

4. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    I don’t know about that method, but if the proper cycle is run properly, it only needs to be run once, not three times. Get an OBD monitor and check after one cycle. An important step is to start with a cold car that’s sat overnight.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

LondonParis likes this.
  5. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    #5 ttforcefed, Aug 27, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2022
    Do the 2k to 6k runs need to be done in 1st or can they be done in 3rd?

Also if you are running a capristo obd wizard does it impact the drive cycle?

6. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    So this is for a 360 but not the 430?

7. SLR-F430

SLR-F430 Rookie

Jul 10, 2016
    Beverly Hills
    Have the same issue. Haven't driven the car in months and need to perform the relearn which is a pain.

8. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    It seems to work on all 360s and 430s.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat