F430 Header Failure (it CAN happen to you!) | Page 2 | FerrariChat

F430 Header Failure (it CAN happen to you!)

Discussion in '360/430' started by Trent, Aug 1, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Periokid

Periokid Karting

Oct 19, 2004
    LI, NY
    Full Name:
    David
    I am wondering why you are backing down so easy on the warranty replacement.

Is your car "in fact" a grey market car?

You said the headers were replaced before. I assume under warranty.

Seems odd that they are turning you down and you are ok with that.

2. MVDESQ

MVDESQ Formula 3

Nov 25, 2010
    Greenwich, CT
    Full Name:
    Matthew & Kristen V.
    My car has the MK2 headers now. In the future if they go bad and the 8 year emissions warranty is up will using Capristo headers allow the car to pass emissions?

3. coupe1

coupe1 Formula 3

Jan 15, 2007
    Singapore
    Yes, what about the header design on the Scuderia?

4. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    I would think this could also be an issue with 360's - right? One of my headers cracked but i didnt have any issues with engine damage, I just had the header welded and all has been good so far. I wonder if it makes sense to swap the 360 headers as well.

5. av2

av2 Formula Junior

May 22, 2008
    S. California
    You didn't get the memo? Cash is worthless. All kidding aside, I believe the dealer he purchased the car from will warranty the headers. The plan is to get mk2 headers then sell but will get Capristo headers and brackets installed on the vehicle.

6. Afonsolaw

Afonsolaw Formula 3

Sep 11, 2011
    New jersey
    What do you guys think of the fab speed headers in comparison to capristo?

7. Trent

Trent Formula 3

Dec 10, 2003
    Indialantic, FL
    Full Name:
    Trent
    #32 Trent, Aug 2, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2012
    +1; accurate.

And stop it already with the "money is worthless" stunting. I do believe that monetary based investments carry more risk than other investment types right now and I avoid them like herpes. But take that up in the business or STD thread.

Re-Write: "Exercising the lemon law to exchange an asset for its value in a monetary instrument does not fit my objectives in life." << tough crowd >>

8. Trent

Trent Formula 3

Dec 10, 2003
    Indialantic, FL
    Full Name:
    Trent
    I have thought about this idea several times since reading your post. I believe it is the best idea I have heard. Very smart indeed.

Proposal:
    1. Lower piston in target Cyl to lowest point in stroke.
    2. Fill Cyl to 1/2 full with fresh synthetic oil
    3. Stir oil using compressed air, or just a long non metallic stir stick.
    4. Remove oil using a vacuum (likely gas siphon)
    5. Strain oil to look for debris.
    6. Repeat until it looks clean and no debris are found in strainer.
    7. Run engine with plug out on one Cyl and FI unplugged to make sure there will not be a hydro lock condition.

Possible Issues:
    A. At first cold start there will be lots of oil burn. It should not be enough to damage the CATs, but could foul the plugs. If Plugs are fouled, replace.
    B. I dont get enough oil out and hydro lock the Cyl. Oil does not compress well, the failure would be catastrophic. I will have to carefully measure the amount removed Vs added to make sure only a small amount remains in the Cyl. I could also run the engine after each Cyl with the target Cyl plug removed and the target Cyl FI unplugged. This would be an easy way to make sure it would not hydro lock. Added as step 7.

9. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    #34 vrsurgeon, Aug 2, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2012
    Agree with lowest aspect of piston in cylinder.
    I argue for the oil because once you detach the particulate in the oil, oil will coat the particulate and prevent it from adhering to the cylinder and piston wall. Instead of oil use a spray carb cleaner? then wash with oil as finishing product? Multi-step process?

Didn't think of the compressed air. That is your strike of genius. :) Alternatively perhaps a metal/plastic gun barrel cleaning brush?

Perhaps use a lighter grade of synthetic, and then for removal use a large bore syringe with plastic tubing, withdrawing from the lowest aspect of the piston. I'll send you one if needed..

Oil: I would turn engine with spark plug removed to expel oil before running to remove as much oil as possible.

Problems err.. challenges:
    1)Getting the top of the cylinder and valves clean (hard to reach)
    Bend pipe cleaner in a tight "V". pull back wards and that will extend it fully into an "L" shape.
    2) Can't be sure all particulates are out and minor abrasion occurs.

Stupid f#%$$in' disclaimer: This may harm your engine, perform at your own risk. There I said it.

10. Afonsolaw

Afonsolaw Formula 3

Sep 11, 2011
    New jersey
    Does anyone know how can you tell the difference between the MK1 headers and the MK2 headers?

11. av2

av2 Formula Junior

May 22, 2008
    S. California
    I would just call your local dealer (or dealer that had serviced your car) and provide them with your VIN number. They can find out if your headers have been replaced. Ask for date and miles.

12. wtlaw

wtlaw Karting

Jul 28, 2011
    SoFLA
    Full Name:
    WT Law
    Search, if not enough info, Start a new thread !!!

13. ferrari355gtb

ferrari355gtb Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    R
    Depends who did the work !!

14. av2

av2 Formula Junior

May 22, 2008
    S. California
    Not really. After reading Trent's post, I called my local dealership (never been there but will) and got the info from their service mgr.

15. KenTO

KenTO Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2009
    Toronto
    I have an 08 F430 spider and had the headers replaced last year. I thought the 08's had the new headers. If that is the case they failed after 3 years 7000 mi. Luckily it was done under warranty but I wonder how long the fix is for.

16. Robdownunder

Robdownunder Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2009
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Gee you'd think with all this known trouble that Ferrari should have done a total recall?

17. strongx

strongx Karting

Mar 20, 2009
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Rock Thompson
    The oil is a good idea, but can have some problems as noted. Years ago I faced a similar situation (not with a Ferrari). I just got a nice, strong vacuum and made an attachment that would fit through the spark plug hole with enough room to wiggle it around a little. I also made a small diameter air nozzle and fashioned a wire pipe cleaner long enough to reach.

I scoured around with the pipe cleaner, then vacuumed, then blew air and vacuumed again and repeated this a few times.

18. yronZFF

yronZFF Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 21, 2009
    FIVE-O
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Hey Trent, any good news on your engine?

19. Trent

Trent Formula 3

Dec 10, 2003
    Indialantic, FL
    Full Name:
    Trent
    Thanks for the thought. My 430 is sleeping at Ferrari of Palm Beach waiting patiently for the MK2s to start shipping again. Rumor has it that the factory was damaged three months ago during an earthquake (all hearsay).

Once the MK2s are installed and my car is shipped back up to my house, I will do the inspection with a 7mm borescope, compression and leak-down test, and clean as needed using some derivation of the Oil method (previously described).

I also have sourced Fabspeed headers, kevlar blanket material (3K deg F), and Capristo exhaust brackets. All waiting here. I will be making and fitting the kevlar blanket myself as a DIY (new thread).

20. yronZFF

yronZFF Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 21, 2009
    FIVE-O
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Just a thought, but, if the 8 year emission warranty is in effect for the headers, and engine damage results from the failed headers, wouldn't you think that Ferrari has some responsibility in covering the cost of the engine repair? Maybe before doing some self repair, checking into all possibilities of recovering repair costs might not be a bad idea.

21. Mo T

Mo T Formula Junior

Nov 26, 2011
    Saudi Arabia
    Full Name:
    Mohammed
    Trent, can you post a link to the kevlar blanket?

22. babyboo

babyboo Formula Junior
    BANNED

Feb 28, 2012
    Nsuburban Chicago
    Full Name:
    Baby Boo
    Is anyone recommending that the Capristo brackets be used on the later model 430 given the rarity of exhaust header failure after 07?

23. Moopz

Moopz F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 29, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    The basic design of a fixed exhaust bracket is flawed for the 430. There's too much stress and they crack over time. They should have come from the factory with springs.

24. Trent

Trent Formula 3

Dec 10, 2003
    Indialantic, FL
    Full Name:
    Trent
    In mid 08 "sometime" Ferrari changed from the MK1 to the MK2 in production where the MK2 is stronger and should last longer before failure. The failure is caused by the lack of a "stress relieving component" in the exhaust system. This Flaw exists in all 430 models; 430, Scud, and even 16M. Yes spend the ~$550 USD for the piece of mind if nothing else.

+1; Ferrari should be ashamed of themselves. The headers and/or exhaust system should be designed to last the life of the vehicle and if they fail, should not damage the engine internals.

25. babyboo

babyboo Formula Junior
    BANNED

Feb 28, 2012
    Nsuburban Chicago
    Full Name:
    Baby Boo
    Thanks. However my concern is that as long as the headers are covered under the extended U.S. 8 year emission warranty (as mine is) there is a chance that, if I were to switch out to the Capristo brackets at this time and the headers were to crack, Ferrari may refuse to cover it because the exhaust system was modified. I'm not saying that this has actually ever happened but the failure rate of 08 headers seems so low and so few people have actually switched out to these new brackets that there may not have been much opportunity to test this theory. This looks to me to be a good move once any failures are no longer on Ferrari's dime. I.e., at the end of the emissions warranty period in the U.S.