F430 Header Failure (it CAN happen to you!) | Page 5 | FerrariChat

F430 Header Failure (it CAN happen to you!)

Discussion in '360/430' started by Trent, Aug 1, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Trent

Trent Formula 3

Dec 10, 2003
    Indialantic, FL
    Full Name:
    Trent
    This seems like a strange decision;

1. Your power cube expires in a few months, heck my F430 was in the shop for a few months just waiting on "warranty" headers. A few months will go by quite fast.

2. Your emission warranty is 8 years. Your F430 is a 2005 (so says profile), so you have a year or so left depending on title date. (car fax or other title date info).
    a. In this year of emission warranty, if you headers fail, they will replace them, if they happen to be able to get a set. BUT they will not repair collateral damage from the header failure which could be very expensive.
    b. After your emission warranty expires, what is your plan?

You could always uninstall the Capristo brackets if you need warranty work. I think I could re-fit my factory brackets in 2 hours while drinking beer, texting, and generally goofing off. 29 minutes if there was a young lady waiting for me.

I am sure someone will snatch them up at that price. Good luck and I hope you never have to go through what I did.

2. John NY-Naples

John NY-Naples Karting

Aug 25, 2007
    New York
    I took the advice on this thread and had Capristo brackets installed last week. I tried to install them myself, but the bolts were rusted on too tight, and wouldn't budge. Hence, I asked my dealer (independent) to install them.

3. wildkalabaw

wildkalabaw Karting

Jul 11, 2008
    After my emission warranty expires, my plan is to get Fabspeed or Agency Power headers.
    Currently, I have 2500 miles on my MK2 headers. The old MK1 had no leak when it was replaced, I just managed to persuade the dealer to replace it with new version MK2's. Right now it is still shining like new, and AFAIK, there is no known failure of MK2's
    I decide to keep it all OEM right now, until the time comes that all my warranty expires.
    But still then, I will replace only the headers and keep brackets as is.

For sale:
    Capristo Brackets
    $425 including shipping anywhere in US.

4. Paul V

Paul V Formula Junior

Jan 25, 2005
    Shropshire (UK)
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Having just installed a Capristo race system and there bracket to my 430 i have to say i am very disappointed with this bracket setup, and in my opinion is not designed very well.

1: This set up does not offer any support to the cats or the headers.

2: The engine moves (rotates left to right) but now as the exhaust is fixed to the chassis of the car, it is my opinion that there are more forces applied to the manifolds due to the twisting of the engine. This can only lead to fatigue.

3: As the bracket is now attached to the chasses of the car this is feeding vibrations back though the cabin, what can only be described as a “booming”, this did not happen with the standard set up.

4: The bolts on the springs on the brackets are vibrating and you can see them turning when revving the engine, you can also hear this when you are driving.

I understand the 430 had issues with cracking manifolds and i can see how a bracket with springs and movement slots would be beneficial over the standard ridged set up but i feel they need to be attached to the gearbox to move with the engine like standard set up.

5. drjohngober

drjohngober Formula 3

Jul 23, 2006
    Cville and Gbury Tex
    Full Name:
    Dr.John Gober
    I am picking up a 2007 430 tomorrow. 8 k miles. Has Capristo remote exhaust on it.
    Does this mean that it will also have the Capristo brackets and therefore less likely to have the headers fail also?

6. Trent

Trent Formula 3

Dec 10, 2003
    Indialantic, FL
    Full Name:
    Trent
    No. The capristo remote is a pure electronic system. They may have also ordered the exhaust brackets, and maybe the headers. A quick visual inspection of the rear exhaust silencer will tell you. Take some images of the rear silencer and post them here and I will tell you what you have. You could also go to Capristos web site and look at the headers and exhaust bracket images, then you would be able to spot them yourself.

Congratulations on the F430!

7. rustybits

rustybits F1 Rookie
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Jan 28, 2007
    Somewhere, anywhere
    Full Name:
    Eddie B
    The bolts through the springs should not be turning. They are loose. Sounds like incorrect installation is your issue. I've fitted plenty of them without problems, nor complaints of booming...

8. RichardCH

RichardCH F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 16, 2005
    Paul either you have a very bad installation engineer or you simpy don't know what you are talking about, 99.9% of the people who install Capristo Brackets are very happy with them, check the threads

9. drjohngober

drjohngober Formula 3

Jul 23, 2006
    Cville and Gbury Tex
    Full Name:
    Dr.John Gober
  10. Paul V

Paul V Formula Junior

Jan 25, 2005
    Shropshire (UK)
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I have installed them correct, the issue is if i set them both at the same compression (same height) the tips are not level in the bumper cut outs, I have the have the RH springs looser to make it look right, What i have done since fitting is put some spacers under the springs to put more load into them.

With respect my profession is in Automotive engineering so i think i have a very good grasp on what i am talking about, I am not “green” to working on cars, see my thread here.

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=99531

99% of people may be “happy” as you put it but i think you need to go and re read what i put. The Ferrari way is to make the total system move with the engine and none of the system is bolted to the body. Now capristo bolts the silencer to the cabin and this brings in more vibration and also now the silencer is fixed to the cabin there is more “twisting” on the manifolds.

If you look under most cars where they fix the system to the chassis there is a flexible coupling between the manifolds and the system.

Now i know Ferrari had issues with manifolds cracking and yes the bracket they use is over kill and does not allow the system to expand and contract very well but i believe capristo could come up with a bracket that hung it off the back of the engine.

As a side note my car has had its manifolds changed to the MK2 versions and they were fine, I had them inspected by a Ferrari dealer. Now i have done 1,100 miles with the capristio and i think i can hear the LH manifold blowing go figure !!

11. rustybits

rustybits F1 Rookie
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Jan 28, 2007
    Somewhere, anywhere
    Full Name:
    Eddie B
    Have never heard or seen an issue with this setup before. Perhaps you should contact Capristo. Oh, that "wonderful" Ferrari mounting system has no scope for exhaust growth. It's mounted onto solid brackets. Why do you think they have been re-engineered by the factory so many times due to failure?
    I would try twisting the catalyst on the side you couldn't get to sit right, rather than trying to modify the bracket fixings. This will alter the height that the silencer sits at....

12. RichardCH

RichardCH F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 16, 2005
    My May 2008 still had headers fail

13. Trent

Trent Formula 3

Dec 10, 2003
    Indialantic, FL
    Full Name:
    Trent
    The second link (also noted below) shows factory brackets, not Capristo brackets. So allocate $600 to your new years ferrari budget: http://www.dupontregistry.com/autos/search/DRauSearchAdditionalPhotos.aspx?itemid=1044470 ]

As far as the brackets:
    Quality: 9.5 / 10
    Functionality: 10 / 10
    Price: 7 / 10
    Would I buy again?: Yes, without hesitation. I have been through more headers than most, and "almost" had serious damage. I took two steps:
    -1. Installed capristo brackets
    -2. Installed aftermarket [ fabspeed ] headers. The aftermarket headers do not have the pre-cat, thus mostly eliminating the chance of engine damage due to header failure. The bits that get stuck between the exhaust valve and pre-cat are the real danger. Without a pre-cat any foreign objects can be blown safely downstream. The aftermarket headers are stronger, made from better materials, have a larger diameter, provide better power and sound much better.

14. drjohngober

drjohngober Formula 3

Jul 23, 2006
    Cville and Gbury Tex
    Full Name:
    Dr.John Gober
    I just got car in garage- wife doesn't know. She went to the garage to get a storage bin for ornaments- she did not even notice it was not my Audi R8 ( they are both black). I can't decide to be happy or mad.

Good news- I looked and it does have the 4 green springs to the back of the Capristo so I am assuming these are the brackets.

15. Trent

Trent Formula 3

Dec 10, 2003
    Indialantic, FL
    Full Name:
    Trent
    Congratulations!

4x green springs == Capristo brackets -> Score

Dont be mad at her, had she noticed it she may have commented on how nice your new corvette was...

16. drjohngober

drjohngober Formula 3

Jul 23, 2006
    Cville and Gbury Tex
    Full Name:
    Dr.John Gober
    That truly made me laugh out loud. If she did say Vette, I would be stopping payment on check real quick.

I have not checked web yet but the Capristo remote has 4 buttons. I have not had time to play with just yet- will need to send her to grocery store.

Anyone know how to use the remote?

17. Trent

Trent Formula 3

Dec 10, 2003
    Indialantic, FL
    Full Name:
    Trent
    Top right button opens and closes exhaust. May forget state if ignition switched off and revert to normal operation depending on version of unit.

On- exhaust bypass always open aka loud
    Off- exhaust controlled by ECU as oem, so loud when you get it above parameters noted in your 430 user manual.

Would you replace the car or the wife?

18. drjohngober

drjohngober Formula 3

Jul 23, 2006
    Cville and Gbury Tex
    Full Name:
    Dr.John Gober
    Like taking sand to the beach...

19. mr_bock

mr_bock Formula 3

Oct 27, 2006
    FL full time
    +1

Part of the install is to twist the CATs to get the correct alignment into the muffler (left/right, up/down) on my 360. I had to play with this and make numerous measurements till all was correct. Only then did I tighten clamps, brackets, etc... Now all is proper and very tight!!!

20. Nashtyboy

Nashtyboy Formula Junior

Sep 8, 2010
    Raleigh, NC
    Good to hear the fabspeed headers work w/the C brackets, Trent. Any idea if their new f430 muffler would play happy with them also? Jeff at Fabspeed said it should mount right on, but he wasn't positive.

21. Trent

Trent Formula 3

Dec 10, 2003
    Indialantic, FL
    Full Name:
    Trent
    Most Ferrari 430 exhaust components are modular and each have factory mounting points. This should enable you to mix and match components from OEM, Fabspeed, Capristo, etc. The mounting points should be the same.

Answer: It should work, but I cant say for sure.

22. Fabspeed Motorsport

Sponsor

Feb 5, 2009
    Fort Washington, PA
    Full Name:
    John S
    Thanks Trent. Yes, I don't see why they wouldn't work.

Jeff

23. LamboRider

LamboRider Formula Junior

Feb 9, 2011
    If going with the original Ferrari headers, would you advise on the ceramic coating as a lower cost option rather than an aftermarket header? Would the coating on a good original Ferrari header prevent the dreaded header crack problems that so many owners see?
    https://www.fabspeed.com/ferrari_F430.html
    **NEW**
    Ferrari F430 Sport Headers $3,595
    Ferrari Scuderia Sport Headers $3,995
    Ceramic Coating for Ferrari Headers + $400

24. Fabspeed Motorsport

Sponsor

Feb 5, 2009
    Fort Washington, PA
    Full Name:
    John S
    I do not think that a ceramic coating on OEM F430 headers will help much. The pre-cats are the biggest issue since they create a lot of heat. Anyway you look at it, the OEM headers will most likely fail over time and can cause larger issues (as discussed earlier in this thread). Please let me know if you have any questions. Thanks.

Jeff

25. schroed911

schroed911 Rookie

Oct 6, 2012
    Norcal
    Resurrecting this thread. My 2005 is coming off the power cube warranty in October. I've scheduled annual maint at the dealer. 5 week wait for a service appointment. Love this F430, but Porsche ownership is more convenient. The service records show the MK2's were installed under warranty years ago. 14.5K miles on the car. Some spirited driving. I've owned the car for 1 year and it always had some rattles from the engine compartment. This thread has me paranoid. The Capristo bracket has fans and detractors. If not for the threat of engine destruction, I'd remain with the MK2s.

Now that some more time has passed, how are the MK2s holding up? What's the % failure? Mileage that you'd expect failure?