F430 headlights | FerrariChat

F430 headlights

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Zambesi0, Apr 6, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Zambesi0

Zambesi0 Rookie

Dec 23, 2018
    YORKSHIRE
    hi all
    finally coming to the end of rebuild of f430 spider,having an issue with headlights.
    left hand working fine
    right hand stated flickering, research led me to believe module was faulty,replaced with new ,now have no low or high beam(side and indicator ok)
    left hand has now started flickering
    checked and swapped fuses and relays no change
    both bulbs seem ok HELP!
    can anyone help and also explain what happens internally when you change from low to high beam

2. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    You can probably figure out some of the operation based on the number of wires on the lamp and power supply.

If the lamp only has two wires on it, it's not using a dual element lamp to increase the brightness for high beam, rather, it's the power supply putting out a higher voltage.

Unfortunately, Ferrari 456, 360, 430, etc, Workshop Manuals available to the general public don't include things like component internals, relay & relay panel internals, column switch wiring, etc, making diagnostics rather difficult.

Since I believe you haven't changed a lamp yet, all I can suggest is doing resistance checks on the lamp or the lamp harness pins if that is easier to access, observing the necessary precautions when dealing with high voltages. Power supplies may take a while to discharge after power has been removed.

3. rob.kruiswijk

rob.kruiswijk Formula 3

Jun 15, 2014
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Rob
    #3 rob.kruiswijk, Apr 12, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2020
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Your 430 headlight has xenon bulbs with a ballast, my recommendation to analyse the issues is as follow:
    1. Check the input voltage on each ballast, this should be more than 12 volts. if the input voltage is lower, the xenon bulb might not 100% ignite and keep flickering as the ballast continued trying to ignite the bulb.
    1a If the input voltage on the ballast is lower than 12 volt, you need to check your battary voltage first, this should be higher than 12V
    1b if the battery voltage is OK than you have a wiring problem. the start / ignite current of a single ballast can be easily 8 amperes.
    1c disconnect one of the ballast, try to check the headlight separately, by doing this you limit the total start / ignite current to the battery

2 if the input voltage on the ballast is Ok you can swap the xenon bulb and test one headlight at the time by disconnecting one ballast. i.e. verify if one of the bulb is also OK.

If doubt that both ballast are broken.

4. Zambesi0

Zambesi0 Rookie

Dec 23, 2018
    YORKSHIRE
    Hi
    Thanks for response,hoping to get back to problem tomorrow,will do as you suggest.
    Thanks again

5. Zambesi0

Zambesi0 Rookie

Dec 23, 2018
    YORKSHIRE
    hi
    finally got back to problem
    voltage 12.8
    swopped both bulbs over and both ok so tried ballast from other good side and still have headlight flicker. Help!

6. Zambesi0

Zambesi0 Rookie

Dec 23, 2018
    YORKSHIRE
    put everything back on opposite side to each other and everything is now working fine
    one of lifes mysterys
    thanks again to all who responded.