F430 -- Just released extensive official details 11/11 | Page 2 | FerrariChat

F430 -- Just released extensive official details 11/11

Discussion in '360/430' started by 348SStb, Nov 11, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 5to1

5to1 Formula Junior

Mar 15, 2004
    I guess I was misinformed then.

2. A.D.K.

A.D.K. Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Terre Haute, IN
    Full Name:
    Andy Klueber
    Guess everyone should checkout the lastest issue of CAR Magazine (if you haven't already).
    They give info on their preview of F430 on the Manettino and it's five settings mode of Race, Sport, Wet, Ice and the Fifth one being "So hot it doesn't have a name-for those with etra nerve and extra talent." They say Ferrari only recommended's it for only track use.
    Here's the final pargraph of the article.

"If the 430 delivers on those stunning looks and highly promising performance figures, Lamborghini, Porsche, Ford, and Aston Martin rivals will be in for one hell of a scrap. It's thrilling and tantalising prospect. We'll know more next month."

3. ze_shark

ze_shark Formula 3

Jul 13, 2003
    Switzerland (NW)
    That's certainly a special category of customers, those who buy before they try ... One can expect mkg pitch and hype to weigh in on the choices of that segment.

4. rossi

rossi Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2004
    I think that was BEFORE they knew the price. Future F430 owners had to check their options on a list, without any information about pricing. Given the fact, that Porsche's PCCB is around 8k in Germany and the rumours that the CCM would be a bit more expensive, I think many expected it to be at 9k or close to 10k. Now, after affirmation of the real price, I think many of those 80% who primary checked that option, will again think about it when making their final decision.

5. 720

720 F1 Rookie

Jul 14, 2003
    So. Cal and No. Utah
    Full Name:
    Rick
    i have about 8,000 my stradales, and the brakes are awesome. they work well even when not warmed up, and they are simply fantastic when they are hot. so don't worry about not having good brakes when they are not warmed up.

IMHO, anybody who is willing to spend close to $200K for a new ferrari should not hesitate to chose the ceramic carbon brakes even though the cost is a bit higher than i'd like. these brakes are very special and they add to the ferrari experience.

6. rossi

rossi Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2004
    And IMHO a Ferrari close to $200K should come as STANDARD with those breaks or a similar powerful steel version.

7. rossi

rossi Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2004
    Of course I meant "brakes"... :)

8. ben, lj

ben, lj Formula Junior

Aug 23, 2004
    I think what a lot of people forget when considering these brakes is not only are they more fade resistant but they meaningfully reduce unsprung weight. One of the major keys to success on the CS is the reduction in unsprung weight through the carbon brakes, titanium springs and lug nets, etc. This is largely responsible for the CS's amazingly compliant ride given it's absolutely flat cornering.

9. 5to1

5to1 Formula Junior

Mar 15, 2004
    How many of those are on the track? Just curious if the wear times from the previous quote on the track are accurate.

Although the F430 is heavier then a CS so I'm guessing you'll get less track miles out of those pads.

10. 5to1

5to1 Formula Junior

Mar 15, 2004
    Was reading on another site the PCCB brakes are a 5k option on the GT3RS.

GT2 guys were saying they switched to GT3RS Steel brakes becos the ceramic's just didnt last long enough on the track (as the quote at the begining of this thread suggests). And they cost 27k to replace all four discs and pads.

BTW these figures are GBP = ~1.8 US$.

To put that into context, four brake changes cost as much as the car does new!

11. rossi

rossi Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2004
    Everything would be fine, if Ferrari had given the F430 a standard brake system the car really deserves. A brake system similar to that of the Gallardo: 365 with 8 pot calipers front, 335 with 4 pot calipers rear. These discs would nestle comfortably behind those new 19'' wheels and the average driver would be more than satisfied. For the die-hards and those with lots of track use they could still offer (and sell) their expensive CCM system.
    But instead of that, they put tiny 330 discs with 4 pot calipers behind new massive 19'' alloys. Looks ridiculous IMHO. Even a SLK 55 AMG offers more in that aspect for less than half the price.

12. AHG

AHG Karting

Jul 10, 2004
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Look at these standard 13" brakes on the 19" wheels of the F430!

13. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes
    Yep, looks stupid doesn't it! All that chit chat about what brakes would be better etc...wasted. You CANNOT drive a car that looks like that!! Not nowadays anyway.....

AHG, keep the pressure on for your delivery. I'm not convinced RHD production will be as fast as predicted...call it an educated guess.....

14. GoodWood

GoodWood Formula Junior

Oct 2, 2004
    SE Florida/Indiana
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Hard to believe they're that small.

15. rossi

rossi Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2004
    Believe me, they are. I've seen them last weekend, brakes look ridiculous small. Rear axle is even worse than front. Can't believe Ferrari builds a car like the F430 with such tiny standad brakes. It would have been better if they had stayed with the 18'' wheels...

16. 348SStb

348SStb F1 Rookie
    Owner

Have you ever driven a Ferrari with bad brakes?

Come on...

Ferrari knows that they're doing in terms of brakes. The 360 has excellent, excellent brakes, and this car is about the same weight so they'll be just as good--if not better.

Even my 348 has excellent brakes! :D

17. Joe G.

Joe G. Formula 3
    BANNED

Dec 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Joe Gazzani
    i think the new 430 looks much better than the 360

the 430 will do to the 360
    what the
    F355 did to the 348

$80k 360's coming soon

18. Gary(SF)

Gary(SF) F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2003
    Los Altos Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary B.
    Wanna bet? :) Unless your definition of soon is 5 - 7 years.

Gary

19. 5to1

5to1 Formula Junior

Mar 15, 2004
    They are definately going to take a bigger dive then the 355 (did when the 360 showed up) since there are more out there (i'm assuming this is the case in the US aswell)?

But only when their are enough F430's and other cars available for people to jump out of their 360's. I don't think that will be straight after the 430 hits the streets (as supply will surely be at a trickle) but it definately won't take 7 years.

The link below shows what they are at in europe. Advertised at 85k Euros = ~110k US. But there hasnt been a shortage of 360's in Europe for a long time now.

http://www.mobile.de/SID26FPXMlTGe4U-tRzq3zO5g-t-vaNexlCsAsCsK%F3P%F3R~BmSB11LsearchPublicJ1100719193A1LsearchPublicD1100CCarS-t-vpLtt~BmPA1B20A0e-t-vVb_X_Y_x_y~BSRA6HinPublicA2A0A0A0/cgi-bin/searchPublic.pl?_form=search&sr_make=8600&sr_model=360&sr_priceFrom=-2&sr_priceTo=-2&sr_category=1100&sr_powerRange=-2&sr_registrationDateFrom=-2&sr_registrationDateTo=-2&sr_mileageFrom=-2&sr_mileageTo=-2&sr_engineType=-2&sr_doorCount=-2&sr_color=-2&sr_country=-2&sr_zip=&sr_zipRadiusTo=-2&sr_damaged=0&sr_daysOldTo=-2&sr_sortOrder=0&doSearch.x=0&doSearch.y=0

20. Gary(SF)

Gary(SF) F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2003
    Los Altos Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary B.
    The situation in Europe is very different from the U.S. I have heard that 360 Spiders are selling in Europe at a discount to list price which is far from true here in U.S. The Modena seems to be holding its value here better also.

Gary

21. 5to1

5to1 Formula Junior

Mar 15, 2004
    The spider has faired better then the modena. (But yes you can get a discount on list).

Main reason being its had no competition for a long time. Once you got past the 60k mark there were no other convertibles. The 911T convertible has only just arrived. The DB7 was in short supply (and relatively slow). And thats about it. Unless you start considering the 550 barch, but thats just useless with the roof on, and way more expensive.

I think the F430 spider will have a harder time. It'll have to contend with Gallardo, 911, SL, DB9, and probably a few others.

Although you guys will probably gobble them all up. Guess you just love them over there.

22. ChalStrad

ChalStrad Formula 3

Jan 22, 2004
    Lausanne Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Peter Mann
    My goodness, what a question! Of course I have!! All Ferraris when used on a track have brakes that suffer terribly. Warped discs on a 360 at Spa in less than 3 hours.

The only ones with NO Problems are the CS and Enzo (CCM equipped).

By the way any Porsche owner who tells you that he can track his 911 fast and hard for a long time without similar issues is....lying.

Was at a Porsche Club outing at Dijon recently and sure enough they suffer from the same issues

23. rossi

rossi Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2004
    Thanks ChalStrad, I really thought nobody wants to admit it, but so true what you said.