F430 Loose Mirror | FerrariChat

F430 Loose Mirror

Discussion in '360/430' started by indywarrior, Sep 18, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. indywarrior

indywarrior Rookie

May 28, 2011
    Full Name:
    Anthony
    My drivers side mirror is moving freely in and out enough that its plainly obvious something is worn.

I already checked the 3 torx bolts/screws on the underside, they are firm.

I have not removed it yet - anyone else have this issue, if so what was the fix, I'm hoping it's some sort of bushing or part other than an entire mirror being needed.

As there is no dealer close by, I'm hoping to find a part #/s and just order what I need and DIM.

Thanks!

2. MattiValhalla

MattiValhalla Karting

Really amazing that I am having the very same issue (except passenger) side on my F430, as of one hour ago. I drove my car for an hour, pulled in the garage and noticed something 'strange' about the position of the mirror. I handled it to see how much wobbly motion was there and it fell off the car into my hands, supported by the elec. cable!

Looks as though someone had an issue with this before (I'm the 2nd owner) and instead of fixing it correctly, they epoxied/glued the underside/interior of the mirror housing to the metal plate in the fixed arm!

Who does such a thing?

Sadly, when I purchased my car, the first thing I asked the dealer was: "Why is the exterior passenger mirror not as firm as the driver's side mirror?"

Their reply: "Oh it probably just has a stripped out screw."

Me: "Why would it have a stripped out screw unless something had happened to it?"

Dealer: "uh...................................."

(Now, tomorrow to my local guys who are the best)

beatbrother likes this.
  3. g4titan

g4titan Formula 3
    Owner

Feb 6, 2010
    Around
    Full Name:
    Nico
    Yeah I had this problem, I think it seems to be "fairly" common especially if you close them in and out a lot. In fact mine was stripped out so I had to get the threads reset with some epoxy.

Good as new and tighter than ever.

4. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    Really easy to fix.. unscrew the three screws on the mirror, this lets the mirror come apart into 2 halves. These 3 screws hold the halves of the mirror together onto a hinge. There are 3 more screws on this hinge. These are the 3 screws that need to be tightened. 1) unscrew 3 screws on outside of mirror 2) tighten the screws on the hinge beneath it 3) reassemble

5. photonut

photonut F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 16, 2007
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Joel
    i tried to "fold in" the mirror in on my 430 and it just snapped off.
    the mirror housing appears to be made of (cheap) cast aluminum.
    i think it had the arm had seized to bracket and now the mirror is dangling down, supported only by the wire.
    i am pretty sure i will need a new passenger mirror.
    anyone know where i can get one?

6. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    I'd check with some of the recyclers, even the guys in the UK.. might get a better price..

7. MattiValhalla

MattiValhalla Karting

My wife's c350 Benz Daily Driver has a superb all electric folding mirror system that is bombproof. Yet, we with the F430 have to deal with this? Laughable.

8. GML

GML Formula Junior

Dec 8, 2010
    Kansas
    http://www.macarbon.com/store/f430-exterior-parts-168/

They're carbon fiber though.

9. Russell996

Russell996 Formula 3

Sep 24, 2010
    New Forest UK
    Full Name:
    Russell
    I've a set of Rosso Corsa 430 mirrors for sale. Changed mine for carbon and then traded the car still with the carbon mirrors. Left hand drive is different from right hand drive I believe - at least the carbon version is! Before I changed my mirrors I had the same loose mirror issue, dealer had to replace the complete assembly under warranty! Having said that, 16M also had a loose mirror but minor adjustment by the dealer fixed it no problem.

PM me if interested in the RC mirrors - they are new.

10. ZIP22

ZIP22 Karting

Jun 7, 2009
    Good stuff!

11. MattiValhalla

MattiValhalla Karting

Attention industrial and mechanical designers, as well as engineers at Ferrari.
    We hope you are reading this thread. Remember form follows function, amici...

12. SfefVan

SfefVan Guest

Nov 28, 2008
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Stef
    To avoid these screws to loosen again (which will obviously happen again), add some red nail varnish on the screw heads after screwing them back.

Red nail varnish will make you remember also that you’ve applied this varnish on the screws and that you’ll have to apply a dissolvent first before removing the screws ;)

You can put also nail varnish on the screw threads before screwing them back but then it will be much harder to remove later but still doable.

I would avoid using Loctite on these screws as it would lock them permanently and would be really hard to remove without damaging the screw heads.

13. Russell996

Russell996 Formula 3

Sep 24, 2010
    New Forest UK
    Full Name:
    Russell
    Nail varnish - wow!

14. SfefVan

SfefVan Guest

Nov 28, 2008
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Stef
    Don't tell your wife but nail varnish works great as a screw locker :D

15. photonut

photonut F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 16, 2007
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Joel
    russell:
    i just sent you a pm!
    thanks, joel

16. photonut

photonut F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 16, 2007
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Joel
    my local dealer quoted me $1,500 to replace one side mirror!!

17. MattiValhalla

MattiValhalla Karting

Just got the car back.. the screws had stripped the poorly designed interior guts so bad the only fix we were able to use was epoxy. Hopefully that will hold a couple of years. Better than a ridiculously overpriced full mirror replacement.

Talk about a 'throw away / disposable' world we live in.
    What a waste.

18. photonut

photonut F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 16, 2007
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Joel
    i ordered my new side mirror from italy.
    two weeks ago.
    still has not arrived in the USA

19. MattiValhalla

MattiValhalla Karting

have you tried epoxy on your mirror 'guts'? It's not the perfect fix, but I'd rather have the $1500-- in my pocket, rather than a third useless mirror sitting in a garage cabinet

20. photonut

photonut F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 16, 2007
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Joel
    good idea, but the mirror will no longer fold if you epoxy it.
    i need to fold the mirror when backing off my lift--not enough clearance.

21. pmotoring

pmotoring Formula Junior

May 8, 2009
    HONG KONG
    Full Name:
    PAT PAT
    This guy is a Ferrari MacGyver. LOL

22. photonut

photonut F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 16, 2007
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Joel
    yeah..
    if i ever think of messing with my wife's nail polish....
    i will be the one getting screwed!!!

23. SfefVan

SfefVan Guest

Nov 28, 2008
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Stef
    LOOOL :D :D ! To avoid any disputes at home, please buy yourself your own nail varnish + dissolvant of the worst quality/color so that the wifey is not going to steal it :) The advantage of nail varnish as a screw locker is that you just need to apply the usual nail varnish remover to set the screw free :)

24. rlips

rlips Formula Junior

Jul 29, 2011
    New Jersey, USA
    Just used the info here to tighten my driver side mirror. To add a little information, the three screws holding the mirror together are torx, t-15. It's best to use a 1/4" drive bit and ratchet, the space is too tight to use a Torx screw driver.

The three inside screws are very small for the load they need to carry. You will need a very small Philips screw driver to tighten these. It also helps to have some one support the mirror while you are working on it so it doesn't fall and dent the door.

Entire operation took 5 minutes.

25. MattiValhalla

MattiValhalla Karting

It's just BS that a car engineered to these standards has us owners pulling crap apart to do a tightening job. Name one other car you've owned that needed crap like this done.