F430 Manual Madness on BAT | Page 6 | FerrariChat

F430 Manual Madness on BAT

Discussion in '360/430' started by catdog, Jun 12, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    it will go for 200k+
    if ur not a collector you can buy the equivalent car in f1 for 135 and spend 20k converting...
    the best trade in car land right now is buy 430k for 90 and swap for 20k.

one4torque likes this.
  2. rsmitchell10

rsmitchell10 Karting

Aug 21, 2016
    Atlanta
    No, it's a factory 6 spd. Art at EAG mentioned this listing and said it wasn't one they converted.

3. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    rising tide will lift all gated boats IMHO. it's good for the market.... this gated madness.

4. catdog

catdog Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2010
    I just took my manual F430 (conversion) for an evening drive, temp 69F, windows down...crisp air...
    Warmed it up in rain mode, slowly, lazy slow shifts, feeling one with machine, then moving to sport when warmed up, car comes alive with exhaust opening up (stock), shift action perfect, engine screaming, revs dropping fast and rising fast, perfect throttle response, ceramic brakes biting a little too aggressively...
    Then finished up in race mode, in second gear to 8500 in underpass...HOLY $..t, heaven on earth, spine-tingling, screaming engine, perfect 2-3 shift...
    Back off, cool down, back in rain mode to quiet exhaust for the neighbors and park it back in garage...
    Nice 20-mile drive in backroads and a little highway... Therapeutic intervention.
    What can I say... it's just perfect... simply A+++

Car was amazing with F1, now it's like a man-machine connection with the manual, kinda like a perfect automotive neural interface...every drive is exhilarating... grateful for it

Themaven, SRLC716, Graz and 3 others like this.
  5. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Nice!! What header/cat/muffler setup do u run?

6. catdog

catdog Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2010
    All stock.. I think it's perfect stock, quiet in rain mode and loud and crazy enough in sport/race when exhaust valve opens up... I think louder may be a little too much (for me...)

7. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Manual is nice for sure. However the F430 just works better with the F1 gearbox. I have driven both back to back a few times now. The car was not designed with the manual in mind. The manual makes the car seem old and antiquated. Sorry but it's the hurtful truth.

VAF84 likes this.
  8. catdog

catdog Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2010
    I agree and that's the charm of it... for some of us :)

Graz, NY-3PEDAL360 and one4torque like this.
  9. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    Cat- exciting to hear your experience. And I’ve found after 2 yrs w my gated 360 each drive improves your feel for getting the perfect shift up and down which is the real reward.

enjoy

catdog and Mimmo Blue like this.
  10. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    after spending time in a 360 stick im not sure i agree with that - the 430 f1 is a ton of fun, but the stick is enjoyable in its own right.

catdog and Graz like this.
  11. saudio

saudio Karting

Jul 22, 2014
    Western Virginia
    Full Name:
    Mike
    It might be hurtful, but if it were the truth Manuals wouldn't be selling for double the price of F1s. ;-) Plus, if I may say so, the F1 transmission is not exactly up to date tech. It's slow and burns through clutches.

catdog, Mimmo Blue and brogenville like this.
  12. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Not sure how paddles "work better." I'm familiar with both. I've also owned a manual 430 for 15 years. It's not an easy manual to drive mainly due to the light flywheel which allows revs to drop more quickly than most people are used to. However, once you've mastered the dance between throttle and clutch, it's perfect and satisfying. I hate to say this: paddles are just plain boring. That's the truth.

Dave

13. rsmitchell10

rsmitchell10 Karting

Aug 21, 2016
    Atlanta
    Paddles are boring especially on a F430. Not sure how it was not designed with the manual in mind given both manual and F1 were available straight out of the factory. Might be your hurtful truth but not mine.

14. Way2fast

Way2fast Formula 3

May 24, 2006
    Santa Barbara County
    Full Name:
    Sam
    I much prefer going through the gears on my gated 430 spider then pulling paddles on my FF

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Mimmo Blue likes this.
  15. saudio

saudio Karting

Jul 22, 2014
    Western Virginia
    Full Name:
    Mike
    IMHO the only time paddles are better is on the track.

16. catdog

catdog Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2010
    Sorry for those I may have upset with comments... truthfully I loved my F430 with F1 but short of an impractical and too expensive to maintain Carrera GT/McLarenF1/T50, I am not aware of a relatively modern manual sports car that has a fast revving super light flywheel gated shifter hyper responsive throttle flat-plane crank v8 engine. I mean my 2019 GT3RS revs to 9k rpm but doesn't have the response and sensitivity of throttle response of the F430...That delicate balance of throttle clutch and shifting (up or down) which makes this seemingly anachronistic choice delicious....

17. johncasale

johncasale Karting

May 18, 2006
    Full Name:
    John
    Being that the 430 uses the same basic platform as the 360, which most likely started design in the mid 90's, why would you think the 430 wasn't designed with a manual in mind? The pedal package under the dash as well as cable routing in the console would be similar to the 360, in fact the 430 has the same issue with the shifter bushing as the 360. Ferrari didn't announced the discontinuation of a manual transmission until almost the end of the 430 production run. I highly doubt the 430 was never intended to be manually shifted.....just my opinion.

Stealthssfc likes this.
  18. NY-3PEDAL360

NY-3PEDAL360 Karting

Jul 19, 2020
    Just the sound alone of shifting gears in a gated Ferrari deserves a higher premium IMO... I have a gated 360 and love it. I’m sure that it won’t compare to a gated 430...

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

19. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    I think there is an argument to say that with the electronics package that Ferrari/Bosch developed for the 430, it was designed around the integration of suspension, e-diff, engine, TCS and gearbox. Therefore the more complete and integrated package is the F1.

Of course it’s true to say that mechanically the 430 is designed from the ground up to be a manual or auto-manual car, but from a systems perspective, I think the F1 was the base car.

I’d still take the gated car every day of the week though. There’s no question which car feels more special and involving, both physically and emotionally.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

NY-3PEDAL360 likes this.
  20. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    F1s are cheap enough to justify buying 2 and converting one to have best of both words!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

catdog and NY-3PEDAL360 like this.
  21. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    360 is more beautiful

22. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    Not really. Driving a 458 after the 430 f1 is THE definition of old and antiquated when you wait for the F1 box to shift... the absolute definition of obsolescence.

23. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    Vr- the obsolescence is obvious. Like an apple IIe.

a gated never ages ... because it was perfected over the first several decades of automobiles. The tools are presented to the willing participant to practice, engage w the gears and synchros, for the reward.

24. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    Further- the notion that f1 shifter is better for the track .... heck why not just race robots with ai.

just more of the technology marketing nannies to make ham fisted gents feel like skilled drivers....

I recall participating in several Amg and m power driving academies at cota driving the latest variants w dct and state of the art comp controlled dynamic nannies.. and wow could I drive fast ..... I thought I was a natural! Then I bought my old analog e36 project car..... and was humbled to say the least. These nannies and dct supported all of these very bad habits..., I was not a good driver... I was driving sophisticated cars that go fast in ordinary hands.

going back to basics in something that develops driver skill is my pleasure

Apollo 11 and hardtop like this.