F430 New owner diary inc. maintenance & upgrades | Page 11 | FerrariChat

F430 New owner diary inc. maintenance & upgrades

Discussion in '360/430' started by mwstewart, Oct 25, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mwstewart

mwstewart F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I love Christmas but it's nice to spend a little time away from food and drink, and on the car! The Scuderia Injection looms I purchased were nearly new but I did take the opportunity to strip off all the OEM tape and replace it with high quality Coroplast cloth tape, which shouldn't fade, fray, and peel off.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

I have fitted the new variators, refurbished cam covers with new gaskets, and all stainless steel hardware including the loom P clips. I enjoy working on the car as well as the end result, but this job was verging on unpleasant because of the limited access on the Spider.

High temp cable ties are employed in various places such as the heat shield on the outboard variator wiring. I have ordered a set of PEEK (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polyether_ether_ketone) clips to replace the OEM stuff that was removed.

2. RichardCH

RichardCH F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 16, 2005
    Hmmm Superfast 2 gearbox is definitely a unique feature of the SCUD

3. mwstewart

mwstewart F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Mark
    It is no doubt the best of the dry clutch automated systems. I am glad I did it. The DCT 'boxes are too refined for what I want from a Supercar.

4. RichardCH

RichardCH F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 16, 2005
    Agreed, But I now won't be doing it on my F430 Spider, which I had considered, as didn't realize it was THAT complex, I'll just go and drive the SCUD whilst I still have it. I'm not a fan of DCT either but in my 981 Boxster GTS in super sport mode with manual override its still entertaining at least

5. mwstewart

mwstewart F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Mark
    16M tunnel loom going in. It contains the power source & relay part of the secondary air injection electrical system, and the fuse and two pin power supply connector for the ion module.

I've gained a 40amp Maxi fuse and a black 50amp relay (not the red F1 relay I accidentally identified with the green arrow!) for the SAI system. F430's are built with a spare mounting stud for the SAI relay because emissions standards in some markets mean the system is required. The Scuderia Bosch engine ECUs are now installed - note the 'F131LP' code on the left bank ECU in shot, and also the E-Diff module.

F131 = code for the original 360 chassis ;
    E = 'Evoluzione' (evolution) - the modified chassis for the F430;
    LP = The Scuderia code suffix. I don't know the official term, but I estimate 'Leggero prestazione' (lightweight performance).

A very minor point; I tracked down the fuse type that Ferrari use which feature an opaque rather than translucent plastic shroud. The manufacturer is MTA, Italy.

Interestingly, the Scuderia uses aluminium rather than steel brackets for the electrical modules. They are, of course, lighter! I have swapped my original brackets for them.

All in the conversion to Scuderia management is weight neutral, so I haven't recorded everything in my sheet: the F430's four knock sensors with shielded wiring back to the ECUs, and heavier steel brackets that were removed are offset by the Scuderia ion module and relay loom. I think that's excellent given the significant improvement in knock detection.

I estimate a relaxed weekend's worth of work away from testing the new management - I can't wait for that.

N.B. excuse the low quality photos.

6. mwstewart

mwstewart F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Scuderia Engine Management Conversion - Electronics Completed and Tested
    The SAI solenoid is located on part of the gearbox A frame support. I added a rivnut (left) to the frame part and Dad fabricated an aluminium mirrored version (left) of the existing inlet manifold crossover solenoid (right).

Here are the SAI solenoid and oil breather 'blow by' solenoid in place. For the purposes of testing the electronics I left the standard F430 disareator tank in place with some temporary plumbing to adapt it to the Scuderia cam cover plumbing & blow-by solenoid.

The final electronics fitment work was to mount the ion sending knock detection module. For this task I did not have any 16M reference photos to go from and the parts diagrams were not much help. The loom routing and connector positions did help identify the general location for the module, but the fine-tuning took a little thought. Having settled on the front right area of the engine bay I found two existing M6 tapped holes in part of the Spider roof frame - present on both sides but the right pair were an ideal sport for the bracket mount.

Whilst I was figuring out the breather system my Dad made a card template and version of an alloy bracket.

Here is the first bracket installed. Testing with the engine bay trim panel revealed that there was insufficient clearance for the additional can bus wiring connector to the side of the module. Despite appearing otherwise in the photo space was really tight: there is a roof hydraulic hose at the rear, part of the roof frame at the front, a trim panel overhead, and a certain amount of clearance required below to secure the electrical connectors in situ.

A second version of the bracket was made after some further testing.

V2 installed. It fits perfectly.

With all of the electrical systems now installed it was time to test and the first step was to ensure the immobiliser synced up to the virgin right bank engine ECU. A turn of the key showed that the immobiliser/code warning lamp illuminated and then went out, as it should. Test one pass.

The second test was to ensure the 'CHECK OK' message appeared and went. I am slightly sceptical about the real value of this check/message but nevertheless: test two pass.

The third and final test was to ensure the engine ECUs did not log any DTCs; none logged would prove that my wiring is correct and the new ion module, SAI system components, and blow-by solenoid were functional. This test was also a pass.

Electronics complete!

Scuderia Engine Management Conversion - Oil Breather System - Part 2
    A quick recap in pictures of the difference between the F430 and Scuderia 'Disareator' tank and associated plumbing.

I was about to order the Scuderia disareator but first decided to perform a quick sanity check of the tank body itself, and it was then I discovered that the tank was the same on late F430s and it was just the outlets that were different. I removed my oil tank and decided I could neatly modify it to the required spec.

For reference here's a photo of my original tank before modification. I cut off the two 'ears' that are plumbed in to the cam covers and interestingly I found that despite using a ~14mm or 9/16" ID hose, the connection points on the disareator body were welded up to a tiny 1mm hole. The dry sump system should maintain a near vacuum in the crankcase - helped by the firing order of the flat plane crank which means crankcase volume remains reasonably consistent, so I should imagine the cam breathers are for the few occasions when there is a positive crankcase pressure. This discovery has led me to think the valve and solenoid arrangement on the Scuderia oil system are to help maintain the crank vacuum based on RPM and requested throttle.

I used Nitromors to strip off the crackle finish powder coat in the areas to be modified and will return to this later to remove all traces.

Original F430 cam breather points being welded up and two additional spigots added for the Scuderia system.

Service Items
    My car will hit 30k soon enough and that's when there is a major service due, so given it already has new coolant and microfilter I decided to fit new air filters and spark plugs now. From memory that leaves PAS fluid, oil & filter, and possibly the A/C dryer for Christian Lewis.

I understand that these cars run rich with aftermarket manifolds and the colour of my plugs would tend to suggest that. If keeping with F430 management I would have gone for a remap, but the problem goes away on the Scuderia management which is configured for a lack of pre-cats.

Cam Cover Heat Shields
    When refitting my cam covers I noticed that the heat shields had cracks around the mounting points. It doesn't help that 15mm washers are used - too thin IMO. I have made some reinforcement ears out of Nimbus and in addition replaced the Ferrari washers with 25mm stainless versions.

Shields fitted with reinforcement ears and 25mm stainless washers.

7. mwstewart

mwstewart F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Scuderia Disareator - Complete
    The oil tank is back from CC who as usual have done a fantastic job. The tank was blasted with crushed walnut shells, powder primed, then colour coated.

A reminder of what it looked like in F430 configuration:

Carbon Inner Sill Trims
    Carbon inner sills were an option on the F430 and Scuderia, but standard on the 16M. The there is a difference between the F430 and Scuderia type with the former being shaped differently at the front. Personally, I think the Scuderia parts look better and of course that's what I've gone for.
    The trims are made from a single layer of cloth and hence featherweight, so there isn't a weight penalty when the requisite section of carpet is removed.

I first installed them over the top of the carpet to mark the outline with masking tape. The trims aren't designed to be installed over carpet but doing so gave me an idea.

I used a scalpel to cut away the carpet leaving a 15-20mm smaller circumference than the trim itself - this way the carpet is neatly held once the trim was installed. There is a sound deadening sheet glued to the carpet on each side which I removed and maintained by securing to the sill with 3M VHB. I cut two rectangular holes in the sheet to provide access to the two M5 rivnuts present on all chassis' ready to accept the inner sill trims.This is how Ferrari do it.

Installed.

Scuderia Passenger Footrest
    I've been waiting for this part for a long time and at one point it looked like the order may get canceled, but then I can only assume the factory had enough orders to warrant making a new batch - this tends to be how it works with less common/required parts. In the mean time as an interim solution I had modified the original F430 footrest to look more like the Scuderia one, but having the the actual Scuderia part to compare revealed it is lighter by 211g - every little helps! It also looks a lot nicer in my interior.

Fitted - excuse the dirty car. I haven't yet cleaned off the Tuscan dust.

Weight Saving Update

Sprung weight saved: 90.097 kg
    Unsprung weight saved: 24.97 kg
    Total weight saved: 115.067 kg

8. Freddan

Freddan Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 16, 2012
    Vansbro (Sweden)
    Full Name:
    Fredrik
    im so impressed of all the work you do. keep the updates coming!

mwstewart likes this.
  9. mwstewart

mwstewart F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Mark
    16M Door Card Recreation - Background
    Casting back to November 2016 and Carlo from Italy very kindly donated a pair of Scuderia carbon door panels to the project. These are incomplete, missing a central insert panel which features a moulded mount for the inner door handle and a group of rivnuts to which a storage net is secured. Despite the missing parts, the panels are a great help.

The door panels are actually different between the Scuderia and 16M, and although the 16M parts are still available from the factory the total cost is disproportionate.

I do need some of the parts purely for functional reasons, but my plan is to finish the Scuderia door cards from Carlo and whilst doing so convert them to 16M spec i.e. with both speaker apertures and grilles. A 16M door panel is pictured below complete with the internal handle and storage net, which are amongst the parts I must source.

To finish this project there are several areas I will need to tackle:
    1) Modify the Scuderia door panels to 16M specification;
    2) Create a mould for the central insert (handed - L & R) and use it to manufacture the insert from plain weave carbon;
    3) Modify my F430 doors to Scuderia spec by fabricating aluminium mounts with M5 spire nuts, to which the carbon panels can fasten.

16M Door Card Recreation - Midrange and Tweeter
    The tweeter in the F430 is mounted to the internal trim 'triangle' behind the rear view mirror base, but in the 16M the tweeter is mounted in a custom grille angled toward the driver, behind which is a 100mm midrange driver - the internal mirror trim plate is part of the carbon door panel. I would really like to source the grilles with integral tweeters butfor weight reasons I would not fit the midrange nor associated Bose amplifier; I would simply use the standard F430 configuration of a tweeter and midbass driver in the lower door.

Thanks to 16M owner David from Down Under for measuring the speaker grilles, which enabled me to use accurate paper templates to ascertain the right location for the speaker apertures, and mark the centre point on the door panels.

On the rear of the door panel are three upper reinforcement brackets, and the front most of these on the Scuderia panel is in the way of the midrange/tweeter assembly. The following photo shows the rear of a complete Scuderia door panel with the offending bracket marked with a green arrow. I was able to pry off the brackets from my door panels without damage - at a later stage I will re-bond a little further back.

Next, I moved on to drilling the panel. I have to be honest and say I wasn't entirely sure how well it would turn out, so to minimise any problems I did a couple of things; firstly, I purchased a quality hole saw a few mm smaller in diameter than the speaker grille so I could finish the hole by hand with emery paper, and secondly, I used ballistic grade window film to stick on the panel and give the saw something to bite into rather than skipping over the smooth carbon.

The film actually worked really well and I ended up with a surprisingly precise hole.

I bonded the forward reinforcement bracket further back out of the way of the new hole.

Until I locate some OEM grilles and speakers I will use a plain circular speaker grille and mount the original F430 tweeter behind it on a bespoke carbon bracket. Obviously, I won't have the 'D' shaped cut out in the door panel - where the JBL logo is on the 16M speaker - but I can quite easily add that at a later date.
    I sourced some 100mm black grilles and some really useful speaker mounts which have a lip inside them to secure the grille when pushed in from the front of the door panel.

Completed. A small change but a satisfying one. I used emery paper to smooth the hole and add a chamfer on the edge just like the 16M panel. I've bonded the speaker mount to the rear of the panel hence the grille is secured in place.

10. mwstewart

mwstewart F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Mark
    16M Door Card Recreation - Midbass Part 1
    The 16M has a 6.5"/165mm metal cone driver at the bottom of each door - photo below (including the 4"/100cm midrange driver). It is the midbass component of the JBL three way speaker system. The F430 has a 5.25″/133mm paper cone midrange speaker in this location with a grille measuring approximately 140mm. I may take this opportunity to fit an upgraded 165mm midrange/midbass driver.

I used a 165mm hole saw using the same approach as before.

I had a real struggle trying to locate a 165mm grille; the majority designed for a 6.5" are a minimum diameter of 175mm and going down to 5.25" the majority of grilles are circa 140mm! I actually ended up buying a pair of domestic ceiling speakers and removing their grilles, which were exactly 165mm. I will have them blasted and powder coated satin black.

Photo to show sanded edges and grilles loosely mounted. The swage line - indicated by the green arrow - on 16M door cards actually ends before the speaker in order to prevent the abrupt step near the edge of the grille that I've been left with. There was quite a thickness of carbon in that area so I sanded to re-shape and thus visually soften the transition towards the grille, but I'm still not completely happy with it, so I'm going to lay new carbon underneath the ridge to build up the thickness. This will enable me to sand through the original layer without jeopardising the cosmetic appearance so I can blend the entire area in towards the grille, as per OEM 16M.

11. mwstewart

mwstewart F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Mark
    A correction to a couple of bits in my previous post:

The F430 uses a 6.5"/165mm midrange driver i.e. the same size as the 16M. The grille is approx 142mm.
    The grille size for the 6.5"/165mm 16M midbass speaker is 150mm exactly, not the 165m I had typed! The hole cutter was 152mm.

12. mwstewart

mwstewart F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Brake Caliper Powder Coating
    I had both the Scuderia and Speciale calipers blasted and powder coated plus powder lacquer. I polished the pistons before reassembly.

Last time I used red rubber grease in the ring lands to help prevent corrosion but over time it goes very sticky, so this time around I just used caliper assembly lubricant. The calipers were rebuilt with new seals and, of course, the brake fluid was changed.

I will return to the Speciale braking system as a winter project.

16M Door Card Recreation - Handles
    I now have the inner door handles and storage nets. These are very rare parts so I'm quite pleased.

Door pulls and RH opening mechanism. The pull handles are in poor aesthetic condition so they have been stripped and sent for paint.

16M Door Card Recreation - Speakers
    I've purchased a two way JBL component system. I'm not going for three way nor an amplifier as I consider it needless weight.

Roof Microswitch Adjustment
    My car had an occasional roof up warning when the roof was down which I suspected was as microswitch adjustment issue. The roof is managed by its own ECU which uses various microswitches to sense the position of the carious components.

With a bit of familiarity with the system it would be possible to locate the switch without going via diagnostics, but this was my first time looking at the roof mechanism so I used diagnostics as follows:
    1) Create baseline data for roof closed - no errors;
    2) Create baseline data for roof open - no errors;
    3) Record data for roof open and warning light on.

In my case EVA was triggering the warning and I found the root cause was two things: ) the anti-chafe foam pad I'd used in the replacement roof tray was slightly thicker than OEM which meant the roof closed position was 2-3mm higher than with the original felt pad, and 2) with the foam pad replaced the switch was already nearly out of correct adjustment - see photo below.

Also on the roof a bug bear of mine is the level of noise created by the motor and pump assembly. It is behind a cowel on the RH side of the car which has a relatively thin layer of underlay type sound deadening i.e. not particularly effective.

To reduce noise inside the car I've cut a rough piece from an off-cut of Silent Coat Silent Coat Plus. If it does the trick I'll make something neater from a full sheet.

Black Air Vent Inserts
    The Scuderia has black inserts to the interior air vents rather than grey/silver on the F430. I think it looks better so I stripped down my vents and gave them a clean at the same time.

Interestingly, the vents in the central bezel which point out at an angle had been shortened so they sat better in the carbon fibre housing. The housing isn't of the most precise construction so it doesn't surprise me.

I used Tamiya TS-6 plastic (hobby/modelling) paint. It's great stuff that went on very smoothly.

Interior reassembled. I will paint the HVAC control knobs another time.

Luggage Strap Replacement
    Snapped luggage straps are a common issue on the 360 and F430. They are made from a leatherette type material which isn't particularly strong. 'Stevecobra' reproduces the straps in leather and sells them on eBay as a kit with replacement rivets, so I've fitted a set.

Air Box Lid Refurbishment
    The original Ferrari carbon gel coat is prone to going milky or yellow over time and the second-hand lids I purchased started to do just that. I decided to take them back down to bare carbon, and I used Synstryp to soften the gel coat - it is strong stuff and begins to burn skin instantly; in comparison Nitromors is positively weak.

It takes a good few hours of sanding to get down to the exposed carbon and remove all of the gel coat. The photo below shows the lids around 70% through the process with a few areas of original gel coat left. I will have the lids finished in a UV resistant lacquer.

little_daz likes this.
  13. mwstewart

mwstewart F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Scuderia Engine Management Conversion - Recalibration
    The final stage before I start using the car is a 'remap' or rather recalibration of the Scuderia engine ECUs to suit my engine configuration. The Scuderia engine internals are identical to an MY08 F430 except for one key difference: the pistons. These are unique to the Scuderia and raise the compression ratio from 11.3:1 to 11.9:1, which is enough to warrant a recalibration of the ECUs to suit. The pistons are surprisingly cheap at ~£250 each but I don't see the point in opening my engine now just to change the pistons - which will yield a relatively minor gain - when at 40k miles the engine must be removed at service time to check the cam chain and tensioners. At that point I will strip the engine and rebuild as part of project stage 3: 4.6 Speciale spec, hence, in the interim I want to set the ECU calibration for my current specification and also liberate a little more power.

I've filled the tank with 95 octane as the fuel quality abroad isn't always good enough to match our 99, so I wanted the added comfort factor, though the ion sensing system does offer an increased safety factor.
    I was recommended Ray/West Tuning at Thurxton circuit by fellow club owner Gary, however Ray is too busy at the moment so I went with DMS - another trusted tuner.

I must say I've been hugely impressed by their knowledge; I've been dealing with Rob who talked over the spec with me and actually confirmed that I'd need to swap the coil packs, as despite moving to Eldor coils in 2007/8 there was actually a difference between the ion sensing equipped cars and standard, so I've ordered a set of the Scuderia/458 coils to go on. Bearing in mind he amount of different models DMS deal with I think that's impressive.

Rob has started a base map by calculating the ignition map from Scuderia vs F430 compression ratio, and has reached a point where the idle is smooth, once the new coils arrive the next step is to put the car on the dyno; the ion module controls timing at high RPM and requires the ion specific coils to do so.

I'm hoping for a comfortable 500+.

14. little_daz

little_daz Karting

Jul 28, 2012
    UK
    Those calipers look proper posh. Very nice.:)

John_K_348 and mwstewart like this.
  15. Russell996

Russell996 Formula 3

Sep 24, 2010
    New Forest UK
    Full Name:
    Russell
    great info about the leather straps!

mwstewart likes this.
  16. NDP87

NDP87 Rookie

May 29, 2018
    Australia
    What an absolute amazing thread, the amount of work and passion involved in this is INSANE. You sir are an absolute legend and I loved reading every post in here. Hats off to you!

John_K_348 and mwstewart like this.
  17. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Simply amazing work!

Great job Mark!

And thanks for sharing detailed info with us.

Dan

mwstewart likes this.
  18. mwstewart

mwstewart F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Rob at DMS wasn't happy with the reading from the right bank pre-cat lambda, so in addition to the new coils I had two new Bosch lambdas fitted for peace of mind. My research on these parts is below.

For the dyno mapping this meant my car had new air filters, spark plugs, coils, MAF sensors, pre-cat o2 sensors, variator solenoids, and fresh fuel - really the best base possible to work from.

430 Scuderia and 16M Ignition Coils (Ion Sensing Applications)
    * Original: 231359 - Scuderia, 16M

* Update 1: 248406 - Scuderia, 16M, 599 GTO, 458 Challenge, 458 Spider, FF, 599 SA Aperta, F12 Berlinetta, 458 Speciale, La Ferrari, GTC4 Lusso

* Update 2: 290850 - Scuderia, 16M, 599 GTO, 458 Challenge, 458 Spider, FF, 599 SA Aperta, F12 Berlinetta, 458 Speciale, La Ferrari, GTC4 Lusso, 458 Speciale Aperta, La Ferrari Aperta, F12 TDF

* Update 3: 337713 - 812 Superfast, GTC4Lusso, and backwards compatible with all of the above.

F430 Lambda Sensors
    Front (pre-cat) lambda sensor - 500mm cable, 5 pole
    Ferrari part: 182837 (£183 - Scuderia car parts)
    Bosch part number: 0258007001 (£63.42 - eBay)

Rear (post cat) lambda sensor - 1200mm cable, 4 pole
    Ferrari part: 180915 (£66.02 - Scuderia car parts)
    Bosch part: 0258006196 (£67.71 - eBay)

whatheheck likes this.
  19. mwstewart

mwstewart F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Dyno result below.

I think that's optimistic but then so are the factory figures; here's a little bhp/tonne (curb weight used) calculation based on factory figures for a rough guide:

F430 Spider: 1,570 kg / 483 bhp = 307.64
    F430: 1,517 kg / 483 bhp = 318.39
    16M: 1,500 kg / 503 bhp = 335.33
    Scuderia: 1,430 kg / 503 bhp = 351.75
    458: 1,565 kg / 562 bhp = 359.11
    My car: (1,570 kg - 115.067 kg = 1455 kg ) / 563 bhp = 386.94
    458 Speciale: 1,395 kg / 597 bhp = 427.96

Whatever the figures it has certainly moved on from when I first owned it.

whatheheck and f430R like this.
  20. mwstewart

mwstewart F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Mark
    whatheheck and f430R like this.
  21. avanzino

avanzino Rookie

Mar 26, 2015
    NH
    Full Name:
    jamie
    Thats just awesome!!

mwstewart likes this.
  22. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Looks great!

Thanks for sharing.

Dan

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mwstewart likes this.
  23. mwstewart

mwstewart F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Long time no car stuff. It was due its 30k service earlier in the year; Aldous from AV Engineering gave a good price, and that's where I'll most likely send the car from now on, but time pressures meant it ended up at a Ferrari main dealer close by. I've done a few odd jobs over the past week.

Winter Jobs
    Replacement moisture barrier for the luggage compartment bulkhead. They are made from pre-formed Polyethylene foam.

The screws securing the luggage compartment trim are made from cheese, so its important to be careful with them. The sealing compound for the moisture barrier can clog the threads but I found a 15 minute soak in petrol (gas) dissolves it nicely.

I removed the external window scrapers to polish underneath, but found tell-tale aluminium oxide. I ended up sanding a couple of areas down to bare aluminium, then etch priming, base, and lacquer. I've sprayed Dinitrol wax in most of the doors and behind seals: the channel in which the scraper sits is a bit of a water trap.

The N/S window went up and down much more slowly than the O/S. With the door card and moisture barrier removed an inspection revealed a very well-greased mechanism. I decided to clean and re-apply grease anyway, and to my surprise, this fully restored performance.

16M Door Cards
    amongst several other things I picked up a set of complete door panels from a salvage 16M. I do like car parts/engineering but these are particularly nice. They are quite a bit nicer than the Scuderia version which can be seen behind in the second photo. The 16M cards have kevlar reinforcement in key areas. I'll post up a weight analysis in a later update.

The speakers are secured to beautifully machined billet mounts. I'll post full details of the sound system another time.

I also purchased the wiring looms. I've checked these over, and found that the 16M does away with the door marker lights, and mirror heating/defrosting in order to pass the additional wires for the speakers; there are insufficient pins in the door loom to car multi-plug to support all functions. I don't know if the coupe does without these functions, but certainly for the 16M Ferrari made a call on what could be taken out.

The 16M cards also feature a mass damper or an impact attenuator. I don't know which and the part number doesn't return a result from any of the on-line catalogues. Hopefully it's just an impact attenuator which I'm happy to do with out, but if there's lot of buzzing caused by the woofers I'll have to add them back in. Weight of the pair is 1.042kg which ins't insignificant given the total weight of the carbon cards.

On standard order Scuderia and 16M door cards the stitching for the map pocket wasn't matched to the rest of the car, and nor was the door bin liners, which were always grey Alcantara . I'm going to send the pockets away to be stiched in red, and the Alcantara pads to be re-made in red leather.

There are a few brackets to remove from the F430 door which will be replaced with a Scuderia equivalent that I'll fabricate. They are simply riveted on with aluminium brackets.

There is also a bracket on the electric window mechanism which is cut off on the Scuderia. I've done the same and finished with some edging trim.

All brackets removed - 0.157kg.

Misc
    I picked up the Scuderia floor plates from the 16M. I don't think these will be going in, at least in standard form; my OH doesn't like them one, which I'll conned to, but also they weight a silly 3.688kg - that is heavier than the carpet and sound deadening that they would replace. If I ever go this route I will have them copied in carbon, and painted to match the standard steel items.

I picked up a spare pair of OEM Scuderia airbox lids. Surprisingly, not at all yellowed near the exhaust.

I'm about to have some more parts reupholstered. For anyone interested, Filan polyester thread #35826 matches the original.

I also picked up the glove box document holder from the 16M. I've marked out the fastening points on my glove box, then drilled, and added rivuts.

Freddan and whatheheck like this.
  24. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Amazing work!!!

Thanks for sharing.

Dan