430 - F430 Shocks rebuilt and shortened (lowered) | Page 2 | FerrariChat

430 F430 Shocks rebuilt and shortened (lowered)

Discussion in '360/430' started by colorfull, Jul 6, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. colorfull

colorfull Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2020
    Franklin Park, New Jersey
    Full Name:
    John Napoli
    @GCalo good to know, guess I'm sticking with these springs for a while

Don't all F430's have 19's?

2. GCalo

GCalo F1 Veteran

Sep 15, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Greg Calo
    I was referring to 360 rims at 19" as an improvement, John.

Sorry about not clarifying that aspect

I used the AFCO 23400 springs which a re hard to find now. Perfect for the 360/430 front ends.

They are about 12 mm shorter than the OEM so ride height has to be adjusted

They offer about 15% more pressure which is perfect

AFCO offers a similar spring but it is chrome plated rather than yellow

3. colorfull

colorfull Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2020
    Full Name:
    John Napoli
    I thought perhaps you were referring to the 360, I didn't realize they weren't 19's.

Good info, thank you. Those springs look pretty sharp

4. GCalo

GCalo F1 Veteran

Sep 15, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Greg Calo
    all 360's came from factory with 18" tires and huge sidewalls.

terrible for suspension control

19" rims make a world of difference especially with Michelins

colorfull likes this.
  5. nessus-gte

nessus-gte Karting

Aug 31, 2014
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Charles
    Performance Shock, Inc recently stopped servicing ZF Sachs shocks. According to the service manager I talked with today, ZF Sachs retracted service center certificates from their partners due to supply chain and delivery issues. I have reached out to Leo at Madeno to determine if he is also affected by this situation.

If anyone has had a recent rebuild experience with Madeno, please let us know.

6. colorfull

colorfull Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2020
    Full Name:
    John Napoli
    Just an update, not sure if Leo got back to you yet @nessus-gte, I figured I'd try him. He did email me that this is surprising to hear from the vendor, but not an issue for his shop. They continue to support Sachs shocks rebuild.

excerpted from his email "we don't have any problems with this in total, we are fully Sachs independent ! so no problems at all for the 430 damper services & upgrades"

7. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    Very much depends on the individual in question. I wouldn't trust some people to change a light bulb! On the other hand with appropriate money invested, not to mention time, research, training, experience and data points pretty much anything is possible. Just that all of this comes at an "opportunity cost"...

Q. Do you really want or need to become an expert on the finer points of damping technologies? Certainly its not something everyone should or could do but yes with appropriate modelling software these days you can crunch through a lot of simulation data (that wasn't even available 20 years ago) and even make improvements to handling too but that's a whole different story and huge amounts of data logging and track testing is essential to verify your modelling.

When a technology is sufficiently complex to outsiders its indistinguishable to black magic, this is one of those area's. Very detailed math involved to really understand how this all comes together... certainly not for a man in his shed. Personally I wouldn't hesitate to let the pro's rebuild such an important element of my vehicle. I would however come to them with loaded with data points of my own including static weight loading over each axle and various data logs from track driving. For instance did you know there are multiple different rated versions of the springs from Ferrari too? They fit different spring rates based on the options weight the owner spec'd their car to. To do it scientifically and to refined fast track spec you'd really need to match it to many different characteristics.

8. nessus-gte

nessus-gte Karting

Aug 31, 2014
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Charles
    Leo did get back with me with further details. I agree he seems entirely unaffected by any recent decisions by ZF Sachs.

Thanks for telling your story about your damper rebuild. I consider Madeno to be our best choice for 430 damper refreshing. Leo's solution is superior to any aftermarket option I am aware of.

colorfull likes this.
  9. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

just asked my local guy.
    As long as I can provide the parts, rebuilding each shock takes literally less than 20 min and I'll be charged US$100 for each shock.
    so im going to start shooting emails to the Netherland company now.

colorfull likes this.
  10. colorfull

colorfull Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2020
    Full Name:
    John Napoli
    Interesting, keep us posted!

11. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

so when you got your rebuilt shock, does it "rebound" after you press it down?

12. colorfull

colorfull Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2020
    Full Name:
    John Napoli
    it came assembled, with springs intact, I wasn't able to push it down, but I did get graphs from Madeno that showed the before and after resistance levels.

13. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

cool. It gets me thinking. I showed the dyno machine to my local guy.
    He says that, to rebuild the shock, we probably only need the seal part. He doesn't see the need for that dyno machine.
    I am inclined to think that the dyno is used to verify the resistance level for a better quality work compared to my local and swift "disseamble , swap , assemble" job.
    thoughts?

14. colorfull

colorfull Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2020
    Full Name:
    John Napoli
    Let me start by saying I am completely unqualified, I just have this experience to go on. Based on this,

My impression is the dyno was used to verify that it could withstand the necessary resistance after the build, as well as asses pre and post build performance.

Another thing is those rubber bands as a seal don't seem like a particularly robust solution. As you can see, they slipped off and broke. This happens and your resistance goes to zero. In this case, Madeno designed and built metal rings which should frankly I would think last at least the life of the shock.

Additionally, Leo described to me that the top is crimped, therefore, resealing in that manner it was originally is not really possible. In speaking with a different expert, he indicated as a result, these shocks are considered disposable by Ferrari as well as other like manufacturers such as Lambo and Bugatti.

Leo designed a solution where he threaded the top of the tube, and designed and made a screw on cap, which could be removed and replaced, making the shock serviceable for a future fluid replacement. This basically makes the shock good for the life of the car.

So,... theoretically, I suppose you could you disassemble it, replace the rings and fluid, and reassemble, but I'm not sure how you would fit the top, I would certainly inquire with your shop about this aspect. Assuming he could get the top on properly, I suppose that would yield a shock that would work as it should, but not sure.

In the end, it cost more than 100 bucks per shock with Madeno, but you do wind up with a significant improvement over OEM (imho).

The fact that he shortened the tube and piston so that the shock has full suspension travel while lowering the car, I thought was just fantastic as well. Refinishing my springs to caliper color, in the end, I am very satisfied with all the aspects of the solution, and after a drive yesterday can attest (as I was thinking about it while I was driving) that the results are simply excellent all around.

Which I realize wasn't your question, so short answer is, I'm not sure, but would certainly ask about the crimped top issue.

24000rpm likes this.
  15. catdog

catdog Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2010
    I wanted to thank @colorfull for his post on Madeno Racing and Leo in Netherlands.

Long story short, I have had my 2007 F430 since 2019 and after getting the F1 converted to manual using one of the last OEM (supposedly the last one :)) at EAG I decided to go all in on the car because I loved the way it felt, so analog and what a wild rev-happy FPC engine.

After replacing the steering rack which had some play (thank you Eurospares for excellent pricing, was 50% more new than rebuild) I decided to change all the bushings and flamblocks on the suspension because car felt loose and would give an occasional clunk. I also swapped the stock Pirellis for PS4S hoping to further improve steering feel and response. Despite all this, car just didn't feel right over bumps and I decided the last component that hadn't been replaced was the shocks. I was about to purchase new ones then ran into this post and reached out to Leo at Madeno Racing to inquire about refurbishing my shocks.

That was the single best decision I have made with the car.

Leo was super responsive and helpful and shipped off the shocks/coils and Leo did a diagnostic which showed they were not completely worn but proceeded with a complete rebuild along with replacement of the stock rusted coils with same lengths stock but 10% stiffer KW springs. The process took a few weeks during which Leo send updates and finally the final product returned and my trusty indy put it all back together and what can I say... It's been transformed and feels like a brand new car. The damping is perfect, the shock are responsive to the mannetino settings and the car handles like a dream, no more strange suspension noises and the ride and response to transients and bumps is perfect.

Couldn't be happier and A+++ to Madeno Racing and Leo for getting back from the brink of selling my car and getting in back to like new condition.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

16. Sj_engr

Sj_engr Formula 3

Sep 15, 2020
    San Jose
    Full Name:
    dc
    Must....resist....join group of better suspension

How many miles were on your stock shocks prior to the rebuild?

17. catdog

catdog Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2010
    It had 27.5k miles and shocks were not shot it's just car didn't feel like new a little off over bumps and my hunch was correct...

just do it, it's money well spent

colorfull likes this.
  18. colorfull

colorfull Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2020
    Full Name:
    John Napoli
    I felt exactly the same way, glad I was able to help out a fellow FCHATer

Stiffer springs, good call

catdog likes this.
  19. collegeboy

collegeboy Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2007
    Texas and Kaua’i
    Full Name:
    Mikey
    Incredible option!

20. GogglesPisano

GogglesPisano Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 13, 2022
    East Bay, California
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I might go down this path this winter when I'm dong my conversion since the car will be down. Might be worth seeing if they'll do a discount for multiple units and we can save on shipping since we're basically in the same location. If you can wait that is :D

21. addict

addict Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 9, 2019
    Boston, MA
    I might be interested in joining you on this -- but would prefer to find a used set to send out so the car isn't stuck completely disabled for a few weeks. Will take a look through eBay for some used ones.

GogglesPisano likes this.
  22. PKIM

PKIM Karting

Jan 1, 2004
    Redlands
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I have 4 complete oem shocks if anyone is interested. Came off a ‘09 430.

23. LorenzoR

LorenzoR F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

pm sent

24. colorfull

colorfull Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2020
    Full Name:
    John Napoli
    The squeaky wheel gets the grease.....so there is all this chatter lately on other threads about drama and mixed experiences with vendors. blech.

I'd like to take a moment and shine a light on a vendor who provided an absolutely positive experience and is a credit to the industry and bringing 100% customer satisfaction.

Leo was just awesome to work with from Day 1. He is transparent, helpful, informative, communicative and his work is absolutely stellar. This is the way it should be. Only posts about how awesome it is to work with vendors like Madeno Racing. No affiliation, no kickbacks, no benefit to me whatsoever (other than the satisfaction of helping out fellow FCHAT'ers).

Again, just wanted to take a moment to draw attention to some positive vendor experiences.

If you're considering doing this, send him an email. You will not regret it, on the contrary, you will be glad you did.

Highest recommendation!

catdog, nessus-gte, AandSC and 3 others like this.
  25. catdog

catdog Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2010
    Leo and Judith at Madeno are top notch !
    Enjoying my F430 and its handling thanks to Leo and his team's meticulous work

colorfull likes this.