F430 spider.. to waterproof or not | FerrariChat

F430 spider.. to waterproof or not

Discussion in 'Detailing & Showroom' started by cole328, Mar 10, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. cole328

cole328 Formula Junior

May 9, 2014
    Hi guys… Looking to get some quick advice. New owner to a 2007 spider. Nero, with a black top as well. Both the paint as well as the condition of the canvas top are in almost what I would say perfect condition, so I’m psyched.

While I live in South Florida, the car will primarily be a weekend car, and unless there is a last-minute rainstorm, will likely never see rain. As such, well I’ve Seen some good post on here about the benefits of waterproofing the top, I’m wondering if I don’t plan to drive in the rain, am I better off just leaving well enough alone. I also called the Ferrari dealer yesterday, and they indicated that Ferrari does not recommend waterproofing the top. While maybe I should leave well enough there, I always trust the advice of those on this board

I’m primarily concerned that putting any sort of chemical on it, since I have limited need for waterproofing, might start to degrade and or make brittle the canvas.

Any thoughts from long time owners?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

2. Einsteiger

Einsteiger Karting

Oct 9, 2014
    Overland Park, KS US
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    First, I'm no expert. I had a Mercedes with a canvas top. The advice that I got was that if water beads on the fabric top, you don't yet need any kind of waterproofing. I was told the biggest enemy is dust. It works its way into the canvas and down to the rubber liner, which is what really keeps the water out. A good vacuuming now and then, followed by a wipe down with a damp microfiber kept mine in pretty good shape. I bought some of the cleaner and protectant from RaggTopp, but I never had to use it. This was on an 8 year old soft top.

3. F612

F612 Formula Junior

Feb 5, 2018
    Leeds,AL
    Full Name:
    David D. Hood
    I have a 2010 Porsche 911 with a rag top that I use daily in Alabama. It has seen a lot of rain and sunshine.
    A year or two ago water stopped beading on it.
    I bought a Porsche spray treatment and put on one application. Water beads now.
    It has never leaked and I put it up and down frequently.