F430 ticking sound from dash board area | FerrariChat

F430 ticking sound from dash board area

Discussion in '360/430' started by chenglo1, Aug 1, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. chenglo1

chenglo1 Formula Junior

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Cheng
    Guys,

I had forgotten to close my windows after a drive. After noticing this the next morning, I inserted the key and turned the key to the one position where the dash lights up and provides power to close windows. I was in a rush to get to work so I forgot to turn the key to off and remove key. Five days went by and I decided I wanted to go for a drive. This is when I found out I killed the battery. I connected my 5 amp Deltran battery tender x 24 hours til light was green (full). I started the car and noticed a ticking sound coming from the dash area. Sound is almost like theres a giant automatic Swiss watch behind the dash. I opened the engine bay and the sound was not from there. I opened the trunk and indeed it was louder towards the dash board center area. I turned off the engine, turn key back to on position without starting the car and sure enough, the ticking started again right away even without the engine running!

I checked the CD changer, nope not from there. I checked the poem Becker head unit, nope not there either. I turned it on and off. I turned climate control ti manual and ran fans on all modes: feet, split, windshield, feet only etc at all fan speeds. I'm stumped! praying I don't need a new set of gauges. BTW all gauges work. could car be trying to open something by turning a motor that has a broken gear? definitely a rotational sound with some ticks...look fwd to your replies. thank you.

2. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
  3. Daryl Zernick

Daryl Zernick Karting

Jul 7, 2020
    South Bend, IN
    Full Name:
    Daryl A. Zernick
    Here you go my friend. It sounds just like a problem I had. Please review this link and see the solution at the end... easy fix... https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/ticking-sound-heater-now-not-working-video.632023/

4. chenglo1

chenglo1 Formula Junior

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Cheng
    I think its something related to my wipers. I tried turning on wipers and nothing. Then ticking stopped suddenly. No wipers no ticking. Will chk fuse later today

5. chenglo1

chenglo1 Formula Junior

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Cheng
    Update: turned on car 24 hrs later, no ticking wipers work normally! Started engine, all functions work. Drove x 15 min turned on radio. Listened to talk radio x 5 min. Decided to push the envelope button to see what it does...nothing... so i tested headlights...they work then a pleasant chime like "ding dong" goes thru the speakers and radio shuts off. Now, radio wont turn back on. What the heck did i do? Id trade no ticking, working wipers for no radio any day! However, im not one to live with broken toys. Ill post new thread as Ive wanted a new radio with backup camera for quite some time. If radio is indeed broken, ill need suggestions.

6. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    As it is always hard to diag over the Internet

Both issues sounds like a lack of voltage

It could be a weak battery or a bad alternator

Check voltage when starting and engine on (headlights on and off) and engine off

That is a simple test (4) and will tell us slot

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

7. chenglo1

chenglo1 Formula Junior

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Cheng
    I finally read the infotainment manual. I remember pushing button to lower the front face for CD insertion or removal. Manual says if you did this, there will be a chime after 20 seconds and system will turn off. Thats exactly what happened. Problem is, how do u turn back on? I closed the panel back up pushed on button and nothing. Perhaps panel needs to be physically removed and reattached (nvr done this b4)? Ill attempt tomrw. Again, glad no more ticking and wipers work!!!