F430 - Tow in Enclosed Trailer w/ Battery Connected? | FerrariChat

F430 - Tow in Enclosed Trailer w/ Battery Connected?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by VAF84, Aug 14, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. VAF84

VAF84 Formula 3

I've always towed my F430 with the battery disconnected via the switch in the bonnet. However, this time around I'd rather not disconnect it. I FINALLY got all of the smog check stuff to cycle, and I just don't want to do it all over again. I'd like to get the car back to Texas, and have it pass smog/inspection before I go disconnecting the battery. If the car is kept unlocked, is it safe to assume that the alarm won't go off while I tow it? Any reason to unplug it when it's riding in my enclosed cargo trailer?

2. Ferrari Tech

Ferrari Tech Formula 3

Mar 5, 2010
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Wade Williams
    The immobilizer will set itself and the alarm may go off do to the movement.

VAF84 likes this.
  3. VAF84

VAF84 Formula 3

Thanks for the response, that's what I was worried about. I wasn't sure if the immobilizer would activate itself when parked, but unlocked. It will be about a seven hour drive. That's a long time for the alarm to be going off.

4. windsock

windsock Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 29, 2006
    if you arm the alarm but continue to hold the key fob button down for 10 seconds you will get a single chirp. This indicates you have disabled the anti lift and motion detector and the car will not go off when being moved. this was designed for transport by ferry or train.

Texas Forever and VAF84 like this.
  5. VAF84

VAF84 Formula 3

This is awesome. Thank you so much for this useful tip!

6. 430tdf

430tdf Formula Junior

Aug 7, 2008
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Brett
    I've got a 2008 and had it on a ferry when it was new and the alarm kept going off to the point where they paged the owner of the "Blue Ferrari" please go and deactivate because it was driving all the dogs of the car deck crazy! I found that if I just locked the doors manually with the key everything was quiet.
    Oh and I was the only Ferrari of about 25 cars that were on the ship!!! lol

VAF84 likes this.
  7. VAF84

VAF84 Formula 3

Well, that's one way to get incentivized to figure out how to find the solution :D! Interesting, about the locking via the door, good alternative.

8. Flyingbrick242

Flyingbrick242 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 26, 2017
    Northern AZ.
    I towed my 2007 F430 from So Cal to AZ in my enclosed trailer with zero issues...
    I did not disconnect the battery or switch off, I had the key with me in the truck, vehicle was unlocked windows up the whole time.
    No alarm or starting challenges my new driveway is quite steep, unloaded the vehicle and safely parked in new garage.

VAF84 likes this.
  9. VAF84

VAF84 Formula 3

Good to know, thanks for sharing your experience!

10. Astrong16103

Astrong16103 Rookie

Mar 13, 2013
    Detroit, MI
    I have also towed extensively up to 16 hours each way in an enclosed trailer with no alarms setting off in 2006 F430. I never disconnect the battery or switch off, keep the key with me in the truck, vehicle was unlocked, windows up or down

VAF84 likes this.
  11. VAF84

VAF84 Formula 3

Good to know, thanks. I’ll get to try this out soon. Should be making the trip within the next month.