F430 vs SCUD for first timer? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

F430 vs SCUD for first timer?

Discussion in '360/430' started by Gunrunner1, Apr 19, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. cole328

cole328 Formula Junior

May 9, 2014
    Gorgeous car...my buddy has exact same car, but with the titanium wheels and grey stripe both color choices look sinister!

2. frafoss

frafoss Rookie

Jun 8, 2015
    Norway
    Full Name:
    Frank Foss
    The ticking sound I believe is from the exhaust and you will hear in lower revs. Check also the exhaust headers for leaks and cracks which can also make ticking sound. Mine had which I changed for Capristo.

Because of work I'm at the Ring in spring.

3. Gunrunner1

Gunrunner1 Rookie

Nov 25, 2017
    Full Name:
    Paul Rychlik
    Thank you! I thought so. I always loved red on pretty much all Ferrari's, but I think the scud looks best in black. I love the black/grey stripe ones as well.

4. Gunrunner1

Gunrunner1 Rookie

Nov 25, 2017
    Full Name:
    Paul Rychlik
    Yeah it's kind of strange. It only does it once in a while on a cold start, and maybe for 10 seconds or less. Seems like header failures are so common on 430's that I am fully expcting it to be that, but maybe it's a normal sound? I will start another thread.

I will PM you. I would definitely like to stay in touch as I may be headed out that way sooner than later.

5. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    Scud header issues are much rarer than F430 header issues because they do not have built-in cats. But I have heard of some (very few) header issues with Scuds. They are about $15k to replace if there is an issue with both. This is one reason why I opted to put Capristo headers on.... to preserve the OE headers. And gain some performance and sound :).

6. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Actually, 430 Scuderia and 16M exhaust manifold issues are pretty common. When I was shopping, and reviewing service records, I saw several incidences of replaced exhaust manifolds. The technical director at Ferrari of Seattle at the time (2014/2015) told me they saw it frequently as well. But the problem is different from the F430. The problem is the exhaust manifold mounting flange to the head will warp. This causes an exhaust leak and ticking sound at cold start. Often times after a couple minutes, the ticking goes away from heat expansion. The problem can progress to the point of breaking exhaust manifold studs, and then the ticking can be constant, and risk further damage. The typical fix under warranty was to simply install a new exhaust manifold on the offending side, as well as new gaskets and studs. But there is no guarantee the problem will not recur, and it often times did. Many Ferrari dealers still fix the problem by this method. FoS found a more permanent fix is to remove the manifold, and have the flange flat ground. Then reinstall with new gaskets and studs. After all these years, they claim to have never had a car come back with the problem again. So it appears the flange does not continue to warp. Also, the fix is way less expensive, around $2200.

ShineKen, Themaven and Flea7 like this.
  7. Gunrunner1

Gunrunner1 Rookie

Nov 25, 2017
    Full Name:
    Paul Rychlik
    I like this option. FoS - Ferrari of Seattle? Total guess. Thanks for the info on this!

8. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Yes, Ferrari of Seattle, mentioned on the second line, then I abbreviated. If you have a competent shop, I am sure they could perform the same fix. They just need to obtain the gaskets, studs and nuts. I was told it is important to replace all the studs, since they can get weakened and stretched from the warping.

9. Gunrunner1

Gunrunner1 Rookie

Nov 25, 2017
    Full Name:
    Paul Rychlik
    Ahh, you sure did! I think my attention span must have been pretty bad last night.

I am going to check with some shops here in the SF bay area. While I'm at it, I want to install a capristo exhaust valve remote.

You mentioned that the scud issue is different in terms of how the manifold fail at the flanges. After a repair is made (assuming it actually needs any), do you know if the capristo exhaust brackets would help in terms of preventing future failures?

Thanks

f355spider likes this.
  10. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    Capristo brackets not relevant to Scud

f355spider likes this.
  11. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Get the Forza Componenti exhaust controller, it is better made, has an additional feature or two, and is less expensive.
    Surprisingly, Capristo does make an exhaust bracket for the Scuderia, but is unnecessary.

12. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Going back to the OP's question, the Scuderia is one of my absolute favourite of all Ferraris. I'd take one in a snap over a 458 and a 458 Speciale (and a 488). There wasn't much of a price difference when I bought, between a Scud and a gated 430 Spider. I bought the latter, and would do so again, even though the Scud is objectively a better car. Why? Partly because I love manual transmission cars and the 430's is possibly the best manual gearbox in a Ferrari in terms of usability. But also because the gated 430 is more fun at more 'normal' speeds. In the Scuderias I reviewed, I just wanted to get onto the 'perfect road' as soon as possible and they were sublime there. Unbeatable. But on 7/10 or 8/10 fun roads, which is what I mainly have in real life, way under the limits of these cars, I think my car is actually more exciting and enjoyable.

Plus, I love the open-top which biases me more, I realise that's a very subjective thing. I would not swap my gated 430 Spider for a Scuderia, though that's a hard decision still. For a track, completely different answer.

ShineKen and LightGuy like this.
  13. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Slightly nervously, given your username, I would respectfully disagree! I agree that Ms are generally "comfortable beasts", but 430s are just not in the same category of car. Even the M3 CSL, the closest almost-contemporaneous M car to the likes of the 430, is nothing like as raw as even a regular 430. Like all Ms, it's a BMW sedan tweaked with more power and firmer suspension (and in the CSL's case but not most others, weight saving). The compromises are all there: weight, centre of gravity (very noticeable stepping from a M sedan to a 430), dead space, the feeling you are driving something not originally designed to be a supercar, the lack of steering feel, the noise (or lack of).

No M I have driven comes close to the rawness of a 430 and the midengined driving feeling. It's the same with the two-seaters. Maybe the original E30 M3 EVO because it was light and direct, but that is now quite old and slow.

If you're coming from any recent M car to a 430, the 430 will feel like a stripped down racer; the Scuderia even more of the same thing.

14. Gunrunner1

Gunrunner1 Rookie

Nov 25, 2017
    Full Name:
    Paul Rychlik
    Great! I will look at picking one of those up. Thanks.

The exhaust ticking seems to be very infrequent, only does it on one out of every few cold starts and sometimes for just a couple seconds. Hopefully a shop will still be able to detect where it's coming from.

I also have a clicking sound coming from the passenger front wheel on left turns. I have put over 300mi on the car since I got it last week, and I started hearing it in the last hundred or so. It sounds like it's gotten more pronounced in the last couple days as well. Any ideas on what this might be? I'm thinking maybe a wheel bearing or a suspension component?

15. Gunrunner1

Gunrunner1 Rookie

Nov 25, 2017
    Full Name:
    Paul Rychlik
    I was looking at gated manual cars. I have always been a manual trans kind of guy, opting for a 6pd everytime. I saw a 6pd black F430 on ebay for $125k a couple months back, seemed like a very nice car. The owner wasn't responding to any questions I had and for some reason I couldn't get ahold of them, so I passed on it.

All the other 6spd cars I looked at were costing close to or more than a scud, and a lot of folks seem to love the scuds F1 system. It seems like the F1 system on the F430 is tolerable by most, but many seem to love the one in the scud due to that "punch you in the back" shifting. I will admit, this is pretty addictive : ). I'm not saying that I'm a convert from manuals to flappy paddles, but the scud is so ridiculously fast that it just makes sense.

Themaven likes this.
  16. frafoss

frafoss Rookie

Jun 8, 2015
    Norway
    Full Name:
    Frank Foss
    I have installed the Forza Componenti. Easy install and you easily controll the exhaust valves with remote control.

For clicking sound I would first have checked the droplinks. They easily wear out. If not check anti roll bar rubber and bolts. There can be other causes, but I would have started with this.

17. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Rotational sound? I'm not a mechanic, could be a bunch of stuff. Note one common issue is for rocks, or debris to get caught between the front calipers and the wheels. This can cause scratches on the back of the calipers and the insides of the wheels. Just very little clearance and stuff can get wedged in there for a bit, before it pops loose.

18. E60 M5

E60 M5 Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Jan 2, 2006
    Wash DC area
    Full Name:
    Robert

Re-read what I wrote, I said the 430 is a comfortable beast, NEVER said it was like the M5.

19. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    I would politely suggest that you should read what you wrote, which I have re-quoted above. The line "That's what the 430 will be like" is clearly drawing an analogy between the M cars and the 430. And I'm regretting saying I was 'slightly nervous' about pointing that out, because your subsequent reply was terse to the point of being rude, and you are a moderator, so should get this before even thinking about making snappy replies.

If you didn't mean what you said, I understand, but perhaps you should explain that.

20. Gunrunner1

Gunrunner1 Rookie

Nov 25, 2017
    Full Name:
    Paul Rychlik
    Yes, rotational sound. Goes away when turning right, gets louder when turning left. I've stopped driving it since, I'm tempted to jack it up and pull the wheel off. Figure I will check the wheel bearing, end-links, bushings, and shock/control arm bolt when i'm in there to check if it's at least safe to drive out to GMP.

21. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    So my friend with an 09 Scuderia had the start up ticking noise and was diagnosed this week as warped exhaust manifold flange.

22. CarbonDan

CarbonDan Karting

Aug 19, 2017
    PNW
    SCUD!!!! Anything in life that's worth doing is worth overdoing.

23. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    How many miles on the car?

24. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    22k. On mine, one failed at around 6k, the other side failed at around 7k

25. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    I see. Seems fairly random. Probably had around 20k on mine before replacing with Capristo headers. No issue with my OE headers as far as I can tell.