F50 Crash in the UK | Page 3 | FerrariChat

F50 Crash in the UK

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by moulag, Aug 23, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Christian.Fr

Christian.Fr Two Time F1 World Champ

Jun 9, 2005
    Full Name:
    Christian.Fr
    Tragic for all, all was young. Very sad.

2. 1ual777

1ual777 F1 Rookie

Mar 21, 2006
    Orange County, CA
    Very sad, Thoughts and prayers to those involved and the families.

3. TJF

TJF Karting

Aug 27, 2011
    California
    I have started getting signed legal release for others then family and Close Friends when I take for ride in one of my cars particulay miners with Parents sign offs.
    You dont know what will happen even when your drive safe with others on the road.
    Sort of takes away the spotaneity.

Besides for Death, law suits will take all that you have it found at fault, and your family with be left with nothing.
    I know this sounds harsh but its the real world these days.

4. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion

Do these relase have legal value? I.e. if driver is driving recklessly or even just too fast vs speed llimit, will they stand up in court if family sues driver?

5. Carper

Carper Karting

Aug 13, 2017
    Suffolk, UK
  6. Camlet1

Camlet1 Formula 3

May 3, 2014
    UK
    No doubt Mr Cobden ''was tearful as he described how had not worn a seatbelt and had not asked Alexander [the 12 year old boy who was tragically killed] to put one on''.

Put aside it was not Cobden's car, or that he did not have permission to take it for a drive, or that he was unwilling to drive the car with due care; the fact he did not ensure the belt was firmly on the little boy before his ride is unforgivable.

JagShergill and joe sackey like this.
  7. kevfla

kevfla Formula 3

Nov 20, 2003
    Full Name:
    gone 4 good
    #57 kevfla, Mar 1, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2018
    On a related note, regarding wrecking borrowed Ferraris, yesterday's Daily Mail had a story about a 28-year-old crashing his uncle's 458 spider while under the influence. Fortunately, without any fatalities. Maybe someone more talented than me, can post a link to the article.

8. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Apparently he was only going 40 MPH at the time of the crash.

9. Collesano

Collesano Karting

Jan 14, 2017
    England UK
    What a tragic case, "GetSurrey" covered the recent court case closely. The car had just been transported down from Bruntingthorpe after being subject of a test for an article in Evo Magazine.

Was later to be auctioned after just having been serviced, the journalist who drove it at the test said it behaved perfectly.

However the defence argued that the car had a "latent defect" which led to the car over accelerating......

The couple and the young boy had been delivering a car battery to the storage company when the transporter with the F50 and a Porsche arrived.

Life is fragile......

Latest ! Mr Cobden was found guilty today and will be sentenced on the 26th of March.

10. Collesano

Collesano Karting

Jan 14, 2017
    England UK
    #60 Collesano, Mar 1, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2018
  11. thepinkumbrella

thepinkumbrella F1 Veteran

Feb 26, 2006
    United Kingdom
    If he serves 18 months I would be amazed.

Paul

12. Trax

Trax Formula 3

May 26, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Douglas
    Daytonafan likes this.
  13. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    A few weeks ago, coming out of my neighborhood in the 355 on a crisp morning I had a green and made a left [onto a 7 lane road] at maybe 30mph and my back end slid wide - I caught the slide at about 50º and snapped it back straight but it was shocking how fast and light it was. I was certainly under the 45mph limit. Michelin Pilot Sports are less than a year old.

I also had an instance on the road when I first got the car where the throttle was not letting off completely - the carpet had come off it's clasp and was wedged a bit under the throttle. Of course, the unexplained part of his defense is, "If the throttle was out of control and the car was taking off, why didn't you push the clutch pedal in to put it in neutral?"

14. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    My understanding of this crash is that he spun it at about 40 and hit some kind of barrier on the side of a private road. The boy wasn’t wearing his seat belt and that led to his injuries.

You can blame the car, and most likely it’s acceleration may have been a factor, but ultimately it’s the driver who had the responsibility to make sure his passenger was buckled.

Camlet1 likes this.
  15. ryalex

Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    And I'm sure that's what the jury thought. So fundamental, I don't see how any amount of technical argument mattered, at all. You can't get around that. Especially since the carbon tub does not appear compromised - if they were belted, the boy would probably have lived.

16. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I think if it wasn’t a child he could have said that was the person’s choice. But as it was a child he invited into the car, it’s his responsibility .

Camlet1 likes this.
  17. PAUL500

PAUL500 F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2013
    A tragic event for everyone involved.

The driver I would say though was mis advised not to admit guilt, clearly no one would set out to cause the end result, but he was the one behind the wheel and I could never see a jury letting him off as a result.

How that poor mother is coping is any ones guess.

Wide powerful car, narrow lane, skips sideways a bit under acceleration onto grass and its all over once it smacks the post.

18. ryalex

Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    There's a huge difference between civil negligence guilt and criminal guilt though. He's clearly negligence for a civil tort, it might have been a better angle to fight accepting conviction of a crime.

19. PAUL500

PAUL500 F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2013
    Would a jury of 12 ordinary people. who are non legal experts like most of us, have really found him not guilty though? having sat on a number of cases, human nature takes over for many in that room, and they wont be swayed by legal arguments. He was driving, he did not instruct the passenger (a minor) to wear their seatbelt, and he was the one at the wheel when the car lost control, what other outcome was there going to be?

Common sense would have been to put your hands up, plead that it was a tragic accident and come away with a lesser sentence. I imagine he will have the book thrown at him now.

To blame the car was grasping at straws.

20. phil the brit

phil the brit Formula 3

Jul 7, 2013
    Colchester+Clermont
    Full Name:
    Phil Taylor
    The decisions of "twelve good men and true" have never ceased to amaze me, none more so than in the Casey Anthony trial.

21. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    If you look at the pictures of the crash site, and bear in mind that the driver had invited the child into the car and not insisted he wore a belt and then driven someone else's F50 at 40 down that narrow lane - the driver is an idiot, and he caused the death of a kid through his idiocy.

It was also incredibly unlucky. The same idiot would in most circumstances just have hit a hedge or gone off road - while not wearing a seatbelt would still have been brutal, it might not have been fatal. As it stands, the car hit a big post and flipped - no roof, no seatbelts.

And the poor kid just wanted a picture taken.

The defence argument about a flaw that made six cylinders kick in sounds spurious - great detail in the post above. If you're taking someone else's child for a ride, you don't drive in such a way, and how can you not tell the kid to wear a belt? And it's not even your car and you don't have the owner's permission.

22. Collesano

Collesano Karting

Jan 14, 2017
    England UK
  23. PAUL500

PAUL500 F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2013
    Out in less than a year then, not much of a deterrent for the loss of a life.

24. Mikael-F360

Mikael-F360 Formula Junior

Apr 3, 2017
    Finland
    Full Name:
    Mikael E.
    Remember to wear your seatbelt. Even for a short trip. That's the lesson to be learned from this sad story.

TKSA, WJHMH and joe sackey like this.
  25. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL