F50 GT chassis' detroyed? | FerrariChat

F50 GT chassis' detroyed?

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by bluekawala, Apr 29, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bluekawala

bluekawala Formula Junior

Jan 22, 2004
    Ormond Beach, FL
    Hi all, I've been absent from the site because the final few weeks of school are killing me! :) But I just found some time to take a gander at one my favorite sites, barchetta.cc.

Looking at the serial numbers for the F50 GT I found something I don't understand. The site says they made 6 cars but the last three were destoyed by court order!? I'm a little lost, was it for crash testing so the factory could sell them to civilians because they decided not to race them? Why would a court order the factory to 'destroy' three cars and not the first three... or any cars at all for that matter since they're not road legal (I think not anyways)? Thanks for any help on this, I hope it isn't a dumb question.

Happy Driving!

joe

PS here is the link I forgot to post: http://www.barchetta.cc/english/All.Ferraris/summary/SN.F50.GT.htm

2. 0UTXLR8

0UTXLR8 Formula Junior

Apr 12, 2004
    Full Name:
    Josh
    I have no idea why they would just destroy the remaining chassis'. It sucks though.

And could somebody clarify if this car is street legal. I've been wondering that myself too.

3. evandaalen

evandaalen Formula 3
    Consultant

Feb 7, 2004
    Deventer, NL
    Full Name:
    Edvar van Daalen
    It's mainly from my memory, but this is what I thought:

When Ferrari built the first one, they said to the owner that it would be a one-off. Then they broke their promise and made a second one. Then Ferrari said that there would only be TWO cars ever. Then they broke their promise again and they made a third one. And again, Ferrari said that there would only be THREE cars ever!

I thought that the first owner sued Ferrari for promising certain things and doing something else! Of course, the more Ferrari would build, the less valuable the cars would become. That´s why the remaining parts were destroyed ....

4. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    And shortly after the last spare tub was destroyed, the first owner's car was wrecked at the track.

5. ferrari_kid

ferrari_kid Formula Junior

Jul 5, 2003
    i don't believe any of the F50GTs are street legal. they were designed with race specs, so road homogelation wasn't in mind.

6. SefacHotRodder

SefacHotRodder F1 World Champ

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Are you sure? I remember reading that on barchetta LONG before the car was wrecked