F50 GT | Page 2 | FerrariChat

F50 GT

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by cavallino, Nov 18, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Artherd

Artherd F1 Veteran

Jun 19, 2002
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ben Cannon
    Last I heard, Art Z's car was in Italy (somewhere, presumeably at the factory which produced the tub) being repaired.

"It WILL ride again" has been attributed to Art.

I sure hope so.

Best!
    Ben.

2. ewright

ewright Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    as do I. we all make mistakes , hopefully they can have the car back to pristine shape so that we (as well as Art!) can enjoy it.

ernie:)

3. KennyH

KennyH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 13, 2001
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Kenny
    I got a chance to meet Mr. Z at the Greenwich Concours- extremely nice and outgoing guy- we probably spoke for 10-15 minutes on the condition of the F50GT alone. Don't quote me (or him for that matter)- but it seemed like the Porsche factory driver was going too fast on cold tires and lost control- he said race cars were meant to be crashed and fixed so as of late May, the car was in Italy being completely rebuilt.

4. cavallino

cavallino Formula Junior

Aug 21, 2003
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Alain
    What about chassis 003, in the past thread someone says that Art Zafiropoulos owns 2 of the 3 F50 GT. Who know something about this affirmation ?
    And chassis 002 is still in Japan it's sure.
    But, I never see a pic of s/n 003, anyone ???
    And if 001 is going to be rebuilt in Italy, with which parts ? And at the factory or other coachbuilder ?
    And what about the other chassis 004, 005, they really exist ? Because if they exist, Ferrari don't have to produce one.

5. JOEV

JOEV F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 6, 2003
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Joe
    "Because if they exist, Ferrari don't have to produce one."

They don't exist. They were ordered destroyed via a legal situation.

6. kiyoharu

kiyoharu Formula Junior

Feb 8, 2003
    Art Zafiropulo owns chassis no 001 (the one currently undergoing repairs). Search the old board for details on what exactly happened.

Chassis no 002 is still in Japan, Forza no 48 (October issue) has a tiny pic of it in action. Owner is Okamoto I believe.

Chassis no 003 used to belong to Jim Spiro, but he sold it along with his regular F50. Now he owns the very cool and very historic Ferrari 330 TRI LM last seen on the French Quarter Concorso. Supposedly it's his daily driver too!

As for the rest of the chassis, people keep saying that they had to destroy it because of legal reasons. I wish someone would explain to us all the reason why it had to end that way.

7. JOEV

JOEV F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 6, 2003
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Joe
    There are people on this board that know the exact specifics, but I'm pretty sure it's governed by a non-disclosure agreement. All very hush hush.

8. ForzaFerrari

ForzaFerrari F1 Veteran

Jul 25, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Waldo
  9. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    Thanks for posting that site, ForzaFerrari. It's a pretty cool site in general. Great for desktop wallpaper :)

10. cavallino

cavallino Formula Junior

Aug 21, 2003
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Alain
    John T : Thanks for the link, finally we saw s/n003 ! But do you know when the pics were taken ?

11. F1racer

F1racer F1 Rookie

Oct 5, 2003
    Laval
    Full Name:
    Jean
    The guy who posted those pics said they were taken a couple of months ago.

12. Artherd

Artherd F1 Veteran

Jun 19, 2002
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ben Cannon
    OK, so I'm thinking, jack up the ride height 2" in front, and 3" in rear (to only 4 and 5" respectively...) and toss on a dealer plate.

Muwaahahahahha.

Best!
    Ben.

13. TestShoot

TestShoot F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    the one thing that bothers me slightly about the GT's are the lack of the Scuderia shield on the side.

they look all business though.

14. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
  15. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    why were the remaining chasis destroyed "by court order"?

16. pig4bill

pig4bill Karting

Dec 24, 2003
  17. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes
    The reason for them being ordered destroyed is only half the story...I know some of it but not enough to post confidently!

The other part of the story is "Were they really destroyed.......?"

The answer to that is very foggy indeed.

18. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    AHHHHHH... :) Ferrari is so sneaky

19. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    The F50 GT1 is to date my all time favorite Ferrari. The line of the car are better than the street going F50's. In particular I like the rear end of the car way better. I don't like the high F40 style wing that the road car has. The flat end with the racing wing does the F50 justice. Along with the flared front fenders and, splitter on the front airdam. It is a shame they were never raced. Because they were built to beat the McLaren F1. But to my knowledge Ferrari didn't race them because Toyota and Nissan weren't following the FIA rules at the time. The rules said something to the extent of that GT cars had to have road going versions. I think it was something like 25 cars. Hence the name F50 "GT1". McLaren, Porsche, and Mercedes all had road going versions of the car that they raced at LeMans. McLaren had the F1 GTR, Porsche the 911 GT1, and Mercedes the CLK GTR. Neither of the Japanese maunufactures had any road going versions of the car. The Japanese race cars were full blown prototypes, and were allowed to race. So Ferrari decided not to race, because the rules weren't being followed, or up held. Then they also threw in the buyers clause, that the owners could not race the cars. Then this is were they had the remaining tubs destroyed. But this is only from what I remember. However, all maunfactures keep the original blue prints and molds of all the cars they have made. So this is how the F50 GT1 that got smashed is gonna be able to be fixxed.

20. NürScud

NürScud F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2012