F5000 | Page 2 | FerrariChat

F5000

Discussion in 'Tracking & Driver Education' started by boxerman, Mar 23, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 'Understood on what the cars were (5 litre F5000 and new CanAm and unlimited displacement old CanAm, not block size. Some tried small blocks in old CanAm to no avail) but am wondering if someone built a big block 305 (why they would want to is beyond me) and if the standard F5000 chassis could accommodate a big block or if it had to be built around the big block. ;)

2. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    Never seen a big block F5000, but it probably could be built. You would need different adapter plates, and braces.

I believe the center seat Can-Am allowed displacement up to 355 in the later years. But these were still small blocks.

3. I only remember the new CanAm as 305. But, I didn't follow it as close as the original so I could be uninformed of a change.....another mission. :)

4. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    IMO, the most bang for your buck is a small block Indycar.

E.G. 1986 March Indycar "7 Eleven" Complete race ready Spec Sheet

The other series' cars have been bid up by collectors to completely ridiculous prices.

5. Stock block Indycars didn't do to well in the series, that could be partial...no major success history. Dan had a coupla (3?) 2nd's at Indy and a couple at Riverside with the stock block. Other than that, not much.

Hi-jackin' the thread now..... :eek:

6. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    True, but it's a lot cheaper to fix a Chevy, than a Cosworth. :)

7. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    I believe all of the early CanAm cars were small blocks until the Chaparral 2G in 1967. In 1968 McLaren went with the 427 in the M8 series, and Penske fitted a 427 in the ex-Team McLaren M6. Surtees and McLaren won the series in 1966 and 67 using small blocks.

8. #34 lorenzobandini, Apr 24, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2017
    Now that you mention it, I believe you're correct. I know the short term is the first to go, but 50 years is 50 years and it's all startin' to slip away. I've got "Can Am" by what's-his-name (egads) around here somewhere...never did read it...'just looked at the pictures. I guess now is a good time. :)

edit: Found it! (that wasn't too difficult). But off course (smacking forehead), Pete Lyons. :)

9. It's Ross

It's Ross Formula 3

Jul 30, 2007
    Barrington, Ill. USA
    Full Name:
    Ross
    How did these compare to their contemporary F1 cars?
    Any lap times on same tracks to compare?

10. Whisky

Whisky Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2006
    Upper Great Plains
    Full Name:
    The original Fernando
    Look up the Questor GP at the Ontario Motor Speedway, 1971.
    F1 cars ran with F/A cars (F/A = F5000)

F1 cars were faster, but that is the only comparison I know of.
    There were three youtube videos on it, the ones I speak of are
    not there anymore, but a couple of different ones are.

11. It's Ross

It's Ross Formula 3

Jul 30, 2007
    Barrington, Ill. USA
    Full Name:
    Ross
    Thanks! Looks like the Q times weren't too far off.
    I found an article here;The Questor GP - 70s Showdown between F1 and US Racers! | Historic Racing News!

12. innerloop

innerloop Formula Junior

Jan 17, 2010
    Houston Heights, TX
    F1 and the Can-Am series also ran together in Dallas at the 1984 GP. I was there and it was as hot as everything you've read says it was!

The F1 cars were considerably faster. The fastest Can-Am qualifier was Michael Roe in a 5 liter VDS/Chevrolet at 1:44.299 s. The fastest F1 car was Nigel Mansell in a Lotus/Renault at 1:37.041. But in the Can-Am cars' defense, the track was deteriorating like crazy session after session and the F1 cars qualified first.

13. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011

Here's the results:

Dallas (Fair Park), 7 Jul 1984 « Single-seater Can-Am « OldRacingCars.com

Looks like the 2 liter cars did pretty well on that track.